Anybody ever fish Shaver Lake

Steve Kinney

Anybody ever fish Shaver Lake

Post by Steve Kinney »

I'm looking for a way to escape the heat and catch a few fish this weekend, so I'm thinking about heading for Shaver. I understand there are smallmouth there, but I'm not sure about largemouth. Also, should I expect to see a ton of ski / jet ski traffic up there?

Does anyone have any experience on this pond that will help me decide whether it's worth the trip up the hill?

Thanks,
Steve
Dan McKenzie

shaver lake

Post by Dan McKenzie »

It's a great fishery, however I would not recommend fishing it on
a weekend. Lot's of pleasure craft! It can be very fustrating to
deal with.
Steve

Hey Dan

Post by Steve »

What kind of fish are in Shaver, and what kind of quality of fish does the lake have. My buddy lives up there and I visited for the first time on the 4th of July. Next time I visit maybe Ill have to take him fishing. Any bluegills?
Gator

From Sierra Lake Marina website......

Post by Gator »

Shaver Lake is open all year for fishing, either by means of a boat or from the shore. The lake has many varieties of fish. The two largest populations are Rainbow Trout and Kokanee. Kokanee is a fresh water salmon. The lake also has, Brown Trout, Small Mouth Bass, Catfish, Blue Gill, Brook Trout, Carp and Crawdads. The lake is planted regularly by the Departmentof Fish and Game and Southern Claifornia Edison. Shaver Lake is one of the few lakes that can support Kokanee. The lake was adopted by Project Kokanee,which every year plants 50,000 fingerlings into our lake, as well as other lakes throughout the state to help propogate the species.
Morgan

Loads of Smallmouth

Post by Morgan »

Our Club has participated a couple of times in the smallmouth reduction plan. They have a gazillion small fish in there that are stunted. The first two times the fish were transported to Diamond Valley Lake and now we are restocking them in Pine Flat Lake. We have another trip in August.

I took my Grandson there for his first fishing trip and it was real easy for him to catch a bunch. He had a ball.

Just take a bunch of crickets with small hooks. I dropshotted them. I also heard that small crappie jigs work well also. Find any rockpile, they are everywhere.

Hope that helps.
Morgan
basstamer

I've heard if you can get into the smallies here....

Post by basstamer »

its a day you wont forget! Suppossed to be some hawgs in there too! Check with Jeff Huth @ Valley Rod and Gun in Clovis and he'll set you up with all the stuff you'll need to know and use! Good luck!
Scott
Bill McGuigan

Re: Anybody ever fish Shaver Lake

Post by Bill McGuigan »

I fished it for one week a few years ago while at a Boy Scout camp. As others said, there are a lot fo small to medium size (biggest I got was 2 3/4) smallmouth in there. They were a lot of fun to catch (variety of small topwaters worked well).

Bill
Richard - Sonora

There are also Crappie and Largemouth in Shaver.........

Post by Richard - Sonora »

Look for the Largies in the back of coves that have a mix of cover....weedbeds, rock and wood. There not many, but they get to 5 lb.s. Also, try flat-line trolling in the early morning for Rainbows.....I use a jointed Rapala in Rainbow colors, a chrome and blue 1/4 oz Kastmaster works, too. Crappie are hard to find, but there will a bunch when you do. Keep a very small gold and black sinking Rapala handy.

The crawdads in Shaver were imported from Tahoe and are BLUE!!

There are several no-ski zones aroung the lake - good places to bait-fish for Rainbows.......start at 20' and work down. Find travel lanes in narrows and on points. R