Anyone else catching fish this screwed up in the delta?

Tm Customs

Anyone else catching fish this screwed up in the delta?

Post by Tm Customs »

What are these and is anyone else catching them this screwed up in the delta?

http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/album11/aal?full=1
Taylor
"Tm Custom Baits"
=============
http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/tmcustoms
Bill K

Re: Anyone else catching fish this screwed up in the delta?

Post by Bill K »

I have been told that this is caused by a fresh or salt water lice.
Someone with F&G biology should know for sure. Bill K
CZ

early summer post spawn conditions

Post by CZ »

I've been told that the sores we are seeing on the fish in the Delta right now are typical and that there is nothing to worry about. Obviously that fish went through a lot more stress and is showing it, but the fish will regain there strength in the coming weeks and those sores should begin to disappear. I've had a few fish with sores over the last month, but nothing that bad, my guess is that fish just got extremely stressed out this year. I'm sure someone knows exactly what causes this condition in the fish, but I think its just stress that makes them not able to fight off infection as well as they normally can.
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

I have not seen it that bad on a fish but every summer once the water warms up I start noticing soars like that. I have no idea what causes it.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I presume if he ate your bait he's not that bad off...I've seen this in the lakes in the summer and the fish seem to survive a day in the well and thru weigh-in.

Hitman
Hitman

Fish Hard Films
gabuelhaj

that's a heat rash

Post by gabuelhaj »

should go away once it cools off a bit
Glenn Abuelhaj
Tm Customs

Post by Tm Customs »

So no one knows exactly what they are? I have cought a few like this, this one being the worst these things are sort of like a fish mushroom and about the shape and size of your thumb nail.
Taylor
"Tm Custom Baits"
=============
http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/tmcustoms
Steve

Ok, Ill bite

Post by Steve »

Hey TM, although no expert on fish disease and infection, if you are really curious about what this is check out anchor worms. I briefly looked at the photo, and it didnt really look exactly like anchor worms but fairly close. I see tons of anchor worms on bass at Clear Lake, usually after the water has been warm for a while. And if Im not mistaken, it is instigated by poor water quality.

You sure are catching some strange things these days.
David McKenzie

Many causes..

Post by David McKenzie »

As mentioned you will see fungus & blemishes of all sorts on post spawn fish and with summer time enviromental issues. Also poor angler handeling skills will cause problems too. Swinging up onto carpet and letting them flop around in the bottom of the boat sure doesn't help. Might as well throw em on ice. It seems that TV tournament fishing accepts this pratice but it drives me up the wall and I see guys doing this all the time out fun fishing like it's cool.<--as seen on TV.

There only armor is the slime coating and when it gone it's a field day for parasites and only time before there toast especially if there imune system is compromised by high water temps and or poor water quality. Recently I caught a fish with a mans hand print that fungused over solid white where someone had held it up for a picture or to look at with dry hands.

Anyway, got off topic here but it's pretty common and you will see it often in backwater low current areas on the Delta.

Dave