Minimum age for tournament angler?

shifterpilot2001

Minimum age for tournament angler?

Post by shifterpilot2001 »

I had my ex GF's little boy ask me if he could fish a tournament with me, he is all jacked about it after catching his 1st bass last week... he is 8 yrs old... he's fished with me many times on the boat, and his safety is always first priority... Just wondering what the minimum age is for kids to fish a tournament?

His 1st fish...

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t22/ ... Hunter.jpg
Thanks..

Mike Conser
Bill kizer

Re: Minimum age for tournament angler?

Post by Bill kizer »

The short nut winner (yougest fisherman) was around 4 at the 06 Nutcase.

I've seen several kids fishing tournament with their dads in the WRL as well as Anglers choice circuts.

This is from the 100% general rules.
Participants And Eligibility: Anyone under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult ( Parent or legal guardian ) while fishing any 100% BASS tournament
Just call me Tule bender
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

It depends which tournament circuit. Usually if they are under 18 they need to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. I believe that anglers choice is one participant must be 18 or older.

This rule has messed me up for tournaments, and I dont like it but they come from the insurance company of the tournament circuit, not the TD's
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
John Ewing

Post by John Ewing »

My son fished his first tourney at the age of 6. He slept most of the tourney because he had to wake up so early. He is 12 now and looks forward fishing a couple of tourneys a year with me. He is really looking forward to next year and the Pro-teen tourney. I would say go for it. Make it a big deal and build that excitement. The future of this sport is made by raising up the kids into fishing and fishing tourney's. Most of all have fun!!! :D
Hardshell

Post by Hardshell »

My Grandson Cade, who is 11 now, started with me when he was eight. I just sign a weiver that I'm his guardian for that day and have his parents give me a letter allowing me to authorize medical treatment if needed(important). One thing, if you ever win or finish high they'll be hooked for life, I've had to lie about some tournaments latley so he would stay home and participate in other sports. He won't buy that crap about " There'll be plenty other tourmanents to fish" anymore and gets really pissed when I fish without him!

Hardshell
Tornado Dave

Re: Minimum age Have you considered...

Post by Tornado Dave »

Have you thought about starting with a club tournament? It is a much more relaxed entry into tournament fishing, plus you don't have the big tournament fees to pay out. Several of our members will fish with their sons, but we make accomodations for them by letting them blast off later in the morning if needed.

Next month, the Devil Mountain Bassmasters' April tournament is in the Delta. I would like to invite you and the boy to come fish our tournament as a guest. We meet in Concord on Wednesday April 2nd, but if you are out of the area and would like to fish the delta with us, we can set it up by phone and you can meet us at the ramp. This will give him a taste of tournament buzz.

We don't have tournament fees, so you just have to cover your normal fishing costs.

If you are interested, give me a call at 925-639-7724

Dave
cbwiii

Post by cbwiii »

My son (10) is also "hooked." We fished 100% WRL last week and it was an expensive "donation." We fish a lot of club tournaments but only a few are team format. Is there a club that fishes team format?
BMX Bassin

Post by BMX Bassin »

My daughter was 7 and my son 4. Last year they entered a few tourneys with me. Its a long day so make sure conditions are right. It will be remebered and talked about for a LONG time. Fun.
Tornado Dave

Post by Tornado Dave »

This is where making accommodations for kids are important. We have long recognized that fishing with your child is a bit of a disadvantage from a tournament perspective, but it is a deep and rich experience from a parent and child perspective. So for us, you can be the member and your son is your guest anytime that you want him to be, regardless of tournament format. We draw for partners every month, but if you have a guest, your son, you just don’t go in the draw. So when we fish teams, you are a team. When we fish draws, you have your fish and he has his.

We fish all 12 months and we fun and pre-fish together too. Some tournaments, the weather is going to be too harsh for a child. This will give you an opportunity to connect with other members and gain some diversity in your knowledge too.