That was crazy?

leachman90

That was crazy?

Post by leachman90 »

I was responding to the SL thread and by time I got down typing it was gone.Thought I was losing it.Kinda a 'Twlight Zone"moment.
www.insideline.net/index.php/forum
RichThiel

Re: That was crazy?

Post by RichThiel »

Must of been long or slow with the peck'in :shock:
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
sTony

Post by sTony »

Sorry 'bout that. One of the mods pulled the thread. Why I'm not sure but I'll look into it.

Here's my take on this. Sea lions can be and in many areas are an increasing problem. It's been that way for a number of years now. From Newport Beach to Monterey to San Francisco Bay to Oregon and Washington and now extending inland up river systems and the like. They are a major problem in many ways and are capable of doing significant damage to property and fisheries.

However, since the signing of the U.S. Marine Mammal Protection Act in 1972, California sea lions and several other species are federally protected. You can't even so much as harass a sea lion, like banging pots and spraying the with water, without potentially being in violation of that act. Any more aggressive actions can land you in jail and suffer huge fines, confiscation of vehicles and so forth. You just don't want to go there.

The big problem here is that the Act has worked too well for some of those species that are protected by it. Some animals, like North Atlantic right whales, Steller sea lions and Hawaiian monk seals, remain critically endangered. Others, like California sea lions and Pacific harbor seals, have increased so rapidly that there are now frequent and serious conflicts between them and humans coast wide. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these animals up and down the coast now and they are in numbers far greater then historic levels and well beyond a level of sustainability. That's why they're here now and will continue to be in the system as long as the food source is here.

In 2007, legislation was introduced (HR 1769: Endangered Salmon Predation Prevention Act) that would amend the Marine Mammal Protection Act to permit lethal California sea lion removal from near salmon runs when their population exceeds a determined maximum sustainable level. The purpose of HR 1769 is to relieve pressure on the precipitously declining salmon populations of the Pacific Northwest. It's taken well over a decade to get to this point, and a lot of money has been spent to research out the problem so that politicos could understand it and potentially affect change to the Act.

The 'environmentalists' have already rallied hard to fight HR 1769, stating, you guessed it, that it's humans that are the bigger problem and that it's overfishing, damming and such that has had a more detrimental impact on Salmon.

Of course, the truth is it's likely that 'all of the above' is what got us where we're at today with the decline in the Salmon fishery.

Again, do not harm these creatures, or even harass them, in any way or you might suffer some rather severe consequences.

sTony
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

I live on Dutch slough. I see sea lions regularily.
I have seen then kill several salmon & stripers.
THey will catch a fish in its stomache area, then surface. THen they shake their head until the fish is ripped away from it s stomache. Then the sea lion will repeat this sction...... Ive watched that scenerio for as long as 30 minutes. usually they will follow the school of fish it is destroying, until boats scatter the fish or sea lions.
Wise men STILL seek Him....