cure my Mend-it ??

Kevin Shin

cure my Mend-it ??

Post by Kevin Shin »

I really love this product except one thing.

It's turned into a big chunck of gel now :( :(

I used tooth-pick to dip a little bit to apply to small

area to MEND.

Is it the chemical reaction from the wood (toothpick) or is it the contact with air?

Am I the only one with this problem?

Any idea how to keep it in "fluid" condition?

I want to know if there's a cure for this,,,,before I buy another bottle.

Ideas??
"Kids need models, more than they need critics."
"In youth we learn; in age we understand."
gt5bass

Re: cure my Mend-it ??

Post by gt5bass »

Kevin,

I just went to pull out my second bottle the other day and it was in the same condition...a big chunk of gel :x

Not sure what causes it, but I know I could always smell a "paint thinner" type smell when I opened the compartment I stored it in :|

G
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Evaporation is the culprit..If you happen to have some MEK or know someone who does, just add a small amount until the gel returns to liquid form..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

This was brought up a few weeks back. I'm not a chemist, but my thoughts are it's reacting to the bottle.

I hope they find a fix, from what I understand it's a great product.
I had to come back...I know...
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

gt5bass wrote:Kevin,

I just went to pull out my second bottle the other day and it was in the same condition...a big chunk of gel :x

Not sure what causes it, but I know I could always smell a "paint thinner" type smell when I opened the compartment I stored it in :|

G
I have the exact same problem it isn't glue any more it is a piece of jelly.
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

I heard its reacting with the bottle as well, then again I think the stuff in there is in an illegal container too... :roll: Whatever it works and has a shelf life. Maybe Tom will jump in and set us straight.
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

yeah add a drop of MEK....the stuff will be back to normal in no time
Monsterfishingtackle.com
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

I dont think its the bottle causing the problem but rather the cap and location of storage. Now the air temps are up the solvent in the mend it will evaporate or gas off a lot quicker. Especially in a boat compartment. Add some type of reducer and it will be restored just fine. I.E. Acetone laquer thinner or MEK. Just dont huff the fumes and do this in a well ventilated area with solvent proof gloves on. Just remember to add a little at a time replace the cap and shake it up until the consistency is right. This should hopefully help.
Jeremy
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
Kevin Shin

Post by Kevin Shin »

I should've done before I posted,,,,but anyways,,,
here's the links to old posts.

http://westernbass.com/forum/viewtopic. ... light=mend

http://www.tackletour.net/T3Forum/viewt ... light=mend
"Kids need models, more than they need critics."
"In youth we learn; in age we understand."
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

All,
It's definitely evaporation!
Something to try in the future - once you open the bottle and use it, close it up and place it in a "quality" ziplock bag and squeeze as much air out of the bag as you can. i prefer those heavier freezer bags. This will help it last a while longer!

Kopper_Bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

Here is what I've done and it has worked perfect. A glass jar (small type, think spices) with a metal lid place original bottle inside and seal lid tightly. Anything else will contiue to allow evaporation. I noticed on the website that it says "under new ownership".
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

Will Hesch has recently accquired Mend It from Tom Leogrande.
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
Will Hesch

Post by Will Hesch »

Hi everyone, my name is Will Hesch. My wife and I purchased Mend-It! from Tom Leogrande and his business partner last wednesday.

There have been definite issues with the ingredients "gassing" through the bottles. Kathy and I have addressed this by switching from a low density HDPE bottle to a high density HPDE bottle. We are also using a new screw cap which is also make of high density HPDE and using an aluminized label which will further cut down on the evaporation through the bottle.

That said, there is still hope for Mend-It! when it has "cured" in the bottle. Whatever the height of Mend-It! in the bottle, add 1/4 of that amount of: acetone, MEK or lacquer thinner, shake the bottle and set it aside for a few hours, it should be restored to liquid form in a few hours, for sure by overnight.

If you have any questions which this has not addressed, please call me toll free at: 866 606 2223 or e-mail me at: will@centralcoastbassfishing.com

Thanks for your business, I hope you save a ton of money with your Mend-It!!!! Will
www.centralcoastbassfishing.com
www.coolfoot.biz
www.mend-it.com
www.bac-rac.com
"wouldn't you rather be fishing?"
outdoorsman

Post by outdoorsman »

I havent had any problems with mine. I don't use the cap most of the time, and all that happens it that it gunks up in the nosil, and a hook breaks it right up.
Norv

Post by Norv »

Will,

Congratulations on acquiring Mend-it. The product is a great tool for anglers to repair and preserve their soft plastic baits. It sounds like you have identified a solution for the evaporation problem. Now in addition to your Coolfoot trolling motor and Hot Foot pads you have added Mend-it to your company's products.
Ray Vanacore

Post by Ray Vanacore »

I'm not sure what is in mend it as I haven't used or bought it. but if it is like a super glue,then it should be stored in the Refrigerator or freezer. I have some superglue that is 4 yrs old and still is good as new. Granted what I have you can't buy over the counter, but the storage is the same, and with 30 plus years in the Composite and plastics industry that is what we found to be the best solution to the problem. Anything that gels after opening the bottle has a evaporation problem. Acetone evaporates very fast , as does MEK. Now if this has metyholene chloride in it which is illigal to use anyway, then it will evaporate through any type lid or plastic container, and the only way for it to to keep it from evaporating is to cover it with water.Just my $.02
Ray Vanacore