Clear Lake ladies

Fin Addict

Clear Lake ladies

Post by Fin Addict »

Looks like we have a few more days of 50+ temperatures then a steady rise into the mid 70's by the weekend. Will 5-6 days of consistent warm weather be what it takes to bring the ladies up?
Mike Tuck

Re: Clear Lake ladies

Post by Mike Tuck »

I honestly believe the lake has taken a turn for the worse. Way worse. But as soon as we take 200 boats off the lake sticking all the males before they can go fetch the females, your going to see them everywhere. Lakes as small as Clear Lake are very sensitive to boat pressure during their pre-spawn -spawn transitionSo enjoy the next 4-6 weeks, because it's going to be like C.L from 7-8 years ago, for awhile.

Mike Tuck
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Mike Tuck wrote:....Lakes as small as Clear Lake.....

Mike Tuck
Mike, are we talking about Clear Lake Iowa or Clear Lake CA? :) That's the first time I've heard it referred to as small.
Last edited by Greg_Cornish on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

Mike Tuck wrote:I honestly believe the lake has taken a turn for the worse. Way worse. But as soon as we take 200 boats off the lake sticking all the males before they can go fetch the females, your going to see them everywhere. Lakes as small as Clear Lake are very sensitive to boat pressure during their pre-spawn -spawn transitionSo enjoy the next 4-6 weeks, because it's going to be like C.L from 7-8 years ago, for awhile.

Mike Tuck
What Mike said X 100.

The lake is fishing much, MUCH differently than it has the last few years. I'm guessing this years fry will be one of the primary food sources for the current fish populations and it's downhill from there until the shad population rebounds. Just observing the surface tells you a lot, gone are the hordes of grebes and pelicans. Bummer, but I agree that this lake is at the beginning of a downward trend, I hope I'm wrong.....
Kurt
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

Clear Lake has huge amounts of crawdads and bluegill (and other baitfish like hitch) that will support the fish.

I agree that the size of the larger fish "may" have gone down but the numbers are still there. The lake is still full of 3-5 pound fish.

Those 3-5 lb fish will grow to be 5-10 lb fish over the next couple of years.

I believe that it is a natural cycle of things.
Phil

Post by Phil »

MAYBE IT'S JUST TIME TO LET CLEARLAKE REST FOR AWHILE. HOW LONG CAN YOU POUND A LAKE DAY AFTER DAY, WEEK AFTER WEEK, MONTH AFTER MONTH, AND HAVE NO AFFECTS. TRY POUNDING THE DELTA FOR A FEW YEARS, LET CLEARLAKE RECOVER IT ALWAYS HAS.
IS THERE ONE WEEKEND A YEAR THAT HAS NO TOURNAMENTS ON CLEARLAKE ANYMORE ??

ONLY MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

JIGS
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

JIGSRETIRED wrote:....IS THERE ONE WEEKEND A YEAR THAT HAS NO TOURNAMENTS ON CLEARLAKE ANYMORE ??.....

JIGS
Absolutely not
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

Sorry Jigs,
But there are just as many tournaments on the Delta as there are on CL.
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

yes its true !.....clear lake just received one of the hardest poundings in a while!,the won bass/stren events put a beating on those fish !I would really like too see the tourny season be closed during the spawning months ! I know this will stir up a world of #*%"!,but thats just my opinion........
wccjanel

Post by wccjanel »

I don't believe it is the number of tournaments as much as the types of tournaments. We went from having one day tournaments to two day tournaments, to 3 & 4 day events. Also, our ever-popular shared weight events are being rolled over by non shared weight events. Let's do some simple math on this one. In the non shared weight format, if both anglers on each boat catch a limit, that's 10 fish per boat. Multiply that by 200 boats a day times 3 days in a row, and yes Greg, Clearlake becomes a small lake. That's potentially 2000 fish a day. That format may work on places like Murray, Barkley, Falcon, Toho, Detroit River, etc... Our waters (even Clearlake) are not that big. The Delta is quite massive, and it too has seen some weight issuses this year.
Do you think maybe we are all jumping the gun a bit on headlining the "downfall"? I mean, I think Ricky S has a valid point about the natural cycle of things.
Something to consider: if tournament organizers are going to keep going with the non shared weight type of events, then maybe they could go with smaller limits for the co-angler (3 fish), much the way that B.A.S.S. has already done.
Just some thoughts from a guy that lacks the talent to convince his wife that it is Saturday, and therefore every man has a God given right to go fishing.

Peace,
James
James Nelson
- Fish Inspired -
http://www.thefishicon.com/
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

Every lake has good years and bad years. Thats just the way it is.

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

Yup. What Don said!
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
JimmyReese

Post by JimmyReese »

I agree with Mike,

This lake is acting different then any other years, at least in the past 8 years. If you remember the early 90's we had the shad die off, that year the water was 39 degrees the same as this year. I remember that december I was in my floattube floating around rocky point wondering when frostbite was going to settle in! It was cold!
I did see a few shad yesterday but for the most part I dont think it is looking to great. But we have been spoiled for the past 6 years since the shad population came back, we always have to count our blessings.....The one thing I have noticed are the 4 to 5 pound males are missing, you could win tourneys catching these fish.
It is on the decline, most of the fish are eating hitch and crawfish, this is why the population of fish are so vast this year back in the sloughs
Thare are so many crawfish and bluegills in the swamps.
You will see the silversides dominate this year if the shad dont show up, which isnt horrible, they say the silversides have more protein than the shad...???? Fall will be fun!
I have never covered so much water without seeing fish on this lake, and boats too! we were only getting 15 bites a day between my co anglers and I, so I was thinking we were missing the boat somewhere, but sometimes fishing less pressured areas are better than fishing great high pressured areas.
Two weeks from now we will probably be laughing at these stories and be rewriting the record books....

2 cents

Jimmy Reese
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

Are the fish gone? I wouldnt think so. If the shad die do the bass? Maybe the dumb fish who relied on the shad did die because this was all they knew as food. I just give the bass more credit than that personally. Is it possible that they have adjusted to this change of forage and the anglers werent so quick to adjust? I am no clear lake expert by any means but I do believe personally that the bass is a hearty savy enough breed to endure these changes. There are still teener class fish being caught which means they survived the tough years that clearlake veterans speak of. Are the fish not as accessible this year? Last year was bannanas. It seemed like there was bass everywhere on that lake. Did they just flat out disappear,die,or are they living somewhere where the food is that makes it tough for the best anglers in the west to find them? Makes me wonder. This time of year and the full moon I personally would think they would have to show thier self to spawn. Although I think they can spawn deeper than we think. Also Bill Murphy spoke of bass going against thier instinct to spawn due to fishing pressure. To the point of them actually reabsorbing thier eggs so they would not have to leave the security of the deep water. I almost think this could be natures equalizer to protect the species from pressure in its own unique way. So is it pressure,bait ,or conditions? Maybe a little bit of everything? Very interesting topic but I just dont think they are all gone. Perhaps just adjusted different than we all think? Maybe there is a whole new deal going on we just dont know about? Makes me want to learn to scuba dive and spend a whole year under water!!! I dont think we will ever understand these fish 110% on any body of water because we breathe air and live on land. Just my pondering thoughts when I see this happening. How about everybody elses thoughts on my speculations? I fish other bodies of water and see the good years and bad years and just have to wonder!
Jeremy
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

I shure noticed a lack of yellow headed black birds,so far this year ! "ooooops"! I gave it away!,better stock up on "Snag Proof " frogs!...
Dewayne

Re: Sorry, headed into a couple years of decline

Post by Dewayne »

Jigs,
It is not the tournament pressure. It has got pounded for the past several years and got better every year. It is a great excuse, but it probably does more to shake peoples confidence then to actually affect the fish. Fishing was not exactly on fire even the weekend before the WON.

As Jimmy said, this is a natural cycle on Clear Lake. When the lake is loaded with shad it will support a higher bass recruitment rate. Fewer crappie and blue gill feeding on the bass fry coupled with more easy (high fat) meals for the larger fish. Bass in Clear Lake for the past 5+ years have not had to chase bait. They have set under docks getting fat while the Grebes chased the shad to them. With the loss of so much forage many bass did not survive the winter and Clear Lake is back to a more normal lake for a couple years. It will rebound. This change is caused by the weather patterns and while some may choose to blame tournaments the fact is changes like this are factors of the enviroment/ecosystem.

Now one other thing to remember is to take care to keep the Quagga mussles out of Clear Lake and the Delta. There are several ways they would impact us as fishermen. Think about every dock piling being covered with razor sharp mussles. Lost baits/fish and the need to replace fishing line much more often would be only a couple affects. They are also filter feeders and would impact the algae and plankton that are the base of the food chain that the shad feed on. They get into a lake and they will compete with the shad for food. We will not see the huge shad/bass populations that have made Clear Lake a famous bass fishery if they get into that pond. We do have a vested interest in keeping them out of the lake. Keep the Quagga Mussle out and Clear Lake will rebound.
Dewayne
Greg_Cornish

Re: Sorry, headed into a couple years of decline

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Stop poisoning the tules with pellets and ripping up tule beds to build new docks and you'll see it return too. When I moved here in 97 there were giant tule beds everywhere. They came out 200 feet from shore behind tule island and all along the Ceago Del Lago (Barnes Yard) shore. Then the weed spraying started for hydrilla. gradually the tules receded until they are barely recognizable from their former selves.

They used t be so thick I couldn't edge in with my pontoon boat. Now I can glide over and through them with ease. The shore habitat has disappeared.
swimbait

Post by swimbait »

Jeremy made a point about fish spawning deep at clear lake. I am far from a clear lake guy, but I was pretty surprised to see how deep they were spawning during the WON event. These were fish that had JUST come up, and they were spawning as deep as 12 feet. The handful of fish over 6 that I saw on beds were all spawning in the 8-12' range.

Soon as you get wind going, or any kind of churn to the water, you will not be able to see those bass. It was only possible when the condition was flat calm with overhead sun. Most of those fish down there will spawn without being messed with, especially the ones spawning 200 feet off the bank on the flats that extend out from the docks. People just aren't casting out there much.

Along with the deep fish, there are endless hidey-holes back in the tullies, behind and under docks, and in impassible areas where bass can spawn in peace at Clear Lake. Add the dingy areas in the sloughs and there's no shortage of places for momma bass to hide out and do her thing.

So I don't know why the recent downturn in clear lake fishing, but I don't worry about the spawn being the issue. Bass reproduce at ridiculous rates. Imagine if they were viewed as invasive species - people would all decry how horribly fast they reproduce and how hard they are to get rid of :)

The lake will cycle back to awesome fishing again in the future based on things that are far beyond human control or influence.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I have a theory and theories are like rectums, everyone has one. But, here it is.

Since I've moved here in 1997 the lake has been a consistent depth at spawn time. Right around 7 to 7.56 in depth. About May of every year if the lake is full enough its drained down to 7.56 Rumsey which is FULL. The bass seemed to keep the same pattern every year and I always had good luck in the same spots throughout the year. Last year in 07 when the water dropped to about 5 ft during the spawn, we started noticing the spots we counted on weren't producing. It wasn't as easy on us as it used to be. However the weather was beautiful as perfect for the bass.

I was beginning to wonder if there was a bass die off until the big boys started showing us average Joes they were still here. Now in 2008 we still are half a foot below normal and the cold unusually cold weather has changed their patterns again. This was the toughest winter so far that I can recall.

Couple all these variables with the bait changes and I think we'll all need to discover new way to entice them until its flat out hot again.

Date Depth
04/18/2008 6.90
04/18/2007 5.83
04/18/2006 8.71
04/18/2005 7.59
04/18/2004 7.52
04/18/2003 7.59
04/18/2002 6.85
04/18/2001 5.11
04/17/2000 7.70
04/17/1999 7.62
04/17/1998 7.60
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

I remember several years where the largest wave of bass moved up to spawn in May. And I've seen some Junes that have had a surprising number of spawners.

No worries. They are waiting for the stability in water temps and sea level pressure before they make their move en masse.

If we get a full moon when conditions are optimal... lookout!
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
lionkiller

Post by lionkiller »

Caudawg wrote:I remember several years where the largest wave of bass moved up to spawn in May. And I've seen some Junes that have had a surprising number of spawners.

No worries. They are waiting for the stability in water temps and sea level pressure before they make their move en masse.

If we get a full moon when conditions are optimal... lookout!
I was surprised not to see someone mention this earlier in the thread.

It's frosty (literally...) this a.m. Spring's a month late... I'm just now seeing 'cruisers' like the ones I saw last March. Our weather pattern did 'settle' earlier last year, & the fish came up accordingly. The fishing, like the weather this year was 'up & down' I think the fish came up in a wave last year, seems like dribs & drabs out there now...Could it be that simple?...

I'm also seeing some tiny (1 cm) fry already swimming around....carp?....hitch? I know the hitch have spawned already...& the carp are crashing tules now. Lil' shad maybe?.... I know they're marking some down south.
It's just a beating.....till you fight back.
GITBIT

Post by GITBIT »

Does photo period ever trump water temperature? You would think that a bass would have to spawn eventually, even if all factors were not optimum.

Mike
I know you are but what am I?
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

While I would agree that the larger bass were far and few between, I caught just as many 2-3 pounders as I had in prior years and in the same spots that I tend to fish.

Between the WON and the FLW I averaged 20-25 fish a day. Most were 2-3 pound fish. But I caught the snot out of them everyday and ran out of a 100 pack of the bait that I was using.

What I saw is that a lot of the duck weed and grass died off due to the colder winter, which put a lot of the fish that I caught in the wood. I also saw everyone and their mother throwing swimbaits and senkos. I think that the fish may have gotton conditioned to some baits.

Who knows? Time will tell.
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

lionkiller wrote:It's frosty (literally...) this a.m. Spring's a month late... I'm just now seeing 'cruisers' like the ones I saw last March. Our weather pattern did 'settle' earlier last year, & the fish came up accordingly. The fishing, like the weather this year was 'up & down' I think the fish came up in a wave last year, seems like dribs & drabs out there now...Could it be that simple?...
Yep, I think this cold weather and back and forth we've seen between warm-cold-warm-cold is probably the biggest factor affecting the bite. We'll know for sure once we get some stable warmer weather.....personally I have grown tired of this cold weather, bring on the heat :)
Kurt
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Ricky-S wrote:...I also saw everyone and their mother throwing swimbaits and senkos......
I guarandamntee they aren't used to senkos. :D
David Rogers

Post by David Rogers »

I have a question, if the bass died because of lack of shad wouldn't they float to the top before sinking to the bottom?

I agree with Jimmy Reese, I think we are going to be laughing about this when the water temp reaches upper 60's and we get some consistant weather, find the food and you will catch some bass, find the warm water with food and you will catch a lot of bass, when ever that happens!!!! :cry:
David 371V Rogers
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

David Rogers wrote:I have a question, if the bass died because of lack of shad wouldn't they float to the top before sinking to the bottom?:cry:
I think most bass go to the bottom from what I hear. I don't think they starved though.
Dewayne

Re: David

Post by Dewayne »

This winter our ponds at work seem to have lost all the bass. There were approx. 100-200 bass in the ponds. I did see one floater. I originally thought we had some meat fishermen sneak in and clean them out. On closer inspection though I found dead bass up to 5# on the bottom of several of the ponds. They died in January as close as I could tell and I saw them in February. They looked to have been dead for a couple weeks at least as they were covered with a decent layer of silt. The Carp, Koi, and Red Ears mostly survived.

Not sure what causes a fish to float or sink when they die. I have seen both. Years ago when the shad died off in Clear Lake they floated. This year they seem to have sank as I heard no reports of white shores.

While I hope some of you are right and they just have not began feeding I fear that we are seeing the same cycle we say last time the shad population tanked. So far the tournament results support that theory. It took just over 17# a day to make the top 10.
Dewayne
biteme

Post by biteme »

I fished the heck out of that lake last year. Ive yet to go yet, dont think its time yet. Last year I saw more fry in that lake then ANY other place I fished. Wouldnt these little guys be food about right now if food was such a problem?
David Rogers

Post by David Rogers »

Man, I don't like the sound of that Dewayne but I thinik we would have got some reports of seeing dead fish by now even if they sank to the bottom, I have fished a few places at Clear Lake this year that I could see 10 feet so I think I would have seen at least a few, like one of the guys stated also I saw hundreds of thousands dead and dieing shad last year at Rattle snake arm but they were all on the shore or floating. The FLW tourney was not like last year but it was still pretty good. Lets keep an eye on that water temp and see what happens, I still think its just a gold spring and those fish like me don't like cold water.
David 371V Rogers
M. Warner

Post by M. Warner »

I agree with basserman, let the fish do there thing when its spawning, I know there some giants during the spawn, but there should be a season while during the spawn. dont want to start anything, but just my .02 also
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I agree 100% with Jimmy.......
Two weeks from now we will probably be laughing at these stories and be rewriting the record books....
It's all about the weather fellas! Yer all so spoiled hving such a long spring season here in California! A lil change in weather, and all we hear are the Cries of "WOLF" or as Chicken lil said, "The sky is falling"! We're experiencing the same damn thing here on the Delta, there are no fish spawning where guys would normally see and catch them! Hence the River and ClearLake are dying!

Kinda funny thought though, ClearLake is dying off, that cyclic thing, sor where in the past 5 months have all the dead floating fish gone? Anyone seen any of those? Certainly when the shad, catfish and carp die off there, they float all over and make big news, or are ya all just keeping that a secrete too.

Give em time, you watch, in Septemebr, we're gonna be sayin' this is the most phenominal late spring and summer we've ever seen on these two ponds!!!!!!!!!!!

Brrrrrr, whose got whoolie gloves fer sale???????
BMX Bassin

Re: Clear Lake ladies / exactly cooch and jimmy

Post by BMX Bassin »

Exactly Cooch and Jimmy, when has it ever been this cold this long? I fish there 1-2 days a week and I have only seen a few dead carp. I Still see bait on the Humminbird997si although not as much. It will turn on here when the water temp stays in 60's through the night. But if you want to think the lake is dead, go ahead, more room for me to fish.
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

I have noticed a lot less muskrats this spring ?,humm?,Dick Watson ! do you still make the "Rat"?...........
Old School

Re: Clear Lake

Post by Old School »

The extended cold weather is just going to slow down the growth of the bass this year. Due to cold water temps which directly affect shad attrition, they may have a little less food. As many stated, there are still crawdads, bluegill, cat fish fry, etc. Bass are eating machines and as the water temps increase, so does their metabolism. Remember Clear Lake back in the late 80's compared to now? The lake record was caught back then and standard fisheries that produce giant bass have a balanced ratio of certain sized fish. If you have a lake with a ton of 2 lb fish, you won't see a lot of huge fish being caught. When there are a bunch of dinks with some 2-5 lbrs, you will see some 10#+ fish. Watch how southern california lakes manage their fisheries. I lived in San Diego for 15 years and watched Larry Botroff (San Diego City Lakes Biologist) do wonders for their lakes by closing lakes for half of the week and introducing slots for Hodges, Murray, Dixon, Wolford, Davis, Mirimar, San V, El Cap (home of the 2 lbrs), Sutherland, L. Otay, etc. Enjoy the late spawn at CL this year.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

basscat2 wrote:Truthfully, does anyone really care if it "only" takes 25# to win instead of 35#? Are we all that spoiled? :wink:
Art
Dang tootin' we are. I'm wondering if I'll ever break my PB of about 11.5 or 12
David Rogers

Post by David Rogers »

Looks like the weather is stabilizing and I will not be canceling my trip first week end of May, from the report temps are upper 50 low 60's and I would bet 65 at least by the time I get there. Going to be camping in the Rattlesnake arm with 2 of my kids for 4 days!!!, I can't wait!!!

Looking forward to hunting down Fat Clear Lake ladies and I don't mean the ones that work at Walmart!!! :lol:

I wanted to touch on the fry I saw last year at Clear Lake, there was a spot (a little cove in a cove) where was thousands and thousands of baby bass from 2 inches long to 12 inches long and they were not affraid of me or my boat I was right on top of them, than I backed off a little and there were a small school of 2-3 lbers picking them off (I caught 2 of them:)) anyway just like those photo's that were posted under a Delta forum those bass will eat each other all day long if needed and there are plenty of small bass to eat:)
David 371V Rogers
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

David Rogers wrote:Looking forward to hunting down Fat Clear Lake ladies and I don't mean the ones that work at Walmart!!! :lol:
Ya, they don't fight much! Well, except with each other.