Man Dies At Folsom Lake

Skeeterman

Man Dies At Folsom Lake

Post by Skeeterman »

Two guys were on thier boat this evening messing around driving wrecklessly flipping the boat over killing one man. They do not know if he drownded or died by injuries.
Now that the lakes are getting more boats on it we need to keep our eyes open and watch out for some that do not respect waters and the safety of others.
Burke

Re: Man Dies At Folsom Lake

Post by Burke »

Niether one of the men was wearing PDFs. The driver survived and his passenger died. They found the passenger at the bottom of the lake.

Like Skeeterman said, keep your eyes open and be careful out there.
TheFLY

Post by TheFLY »

Man killed, friend hurt in Folsom Lake boat crash

By Chelsea Phua - cphua@sacbee.com
Published 12:00 am PDT Saturday, April 26, 2008

One man was killed and another was injured about 6 p.m. Friday when the boat in which they were riding flipped end-over-end and sank near Hobie Cove on Folsom Lake, according to authorities.

Witnesses reported seeing the boat speeding in a straight line and then start to wobble before it began to cartwheel, said El Dorado County Sheriff's Sgt. Jim Byers. Both men were thrown from the boat, he said.

Authorities identified the driver of the boat, who survived, as 40-year-old Frank Volrath, of Diamond Springs.

His friend, 42-year-old Anthony Vargas, also of Diamond Springs, was pronounced dead at the scene by medical personnel after being pulled from the water.

Keith Wootton, manager of Folsom Lake Marina in Brown's Ravine, said he helped Volrath out of the water and onto Wootton's boat, before authorities transferred him to shore.

Byers said Volrath was taken to a hospital with minor injuries.

Wootton said a young man ran into his office to inform him of the accident. Wootton immediately took his boat out onto the lake.

"There was debris all around, and (Volrath) was clutching a life jacket," Wootton said, adding later that he saw another life jacket floating among the scattered pieces of the boat.

"He was yelling for help, and to find his friend," Wootton said. "He was just overcome. We wanted him out of the water, but he wasn't thinking about himself. He was only interested in his friend."

Officers in a California Highway Patrol helicopter spotted the sheen of a fuel slick and were able to pinpoint the location of the boat, Byers said.

Divers recovered Vargas' body about 45 minutes after the accident in about 40 feet of water close to the boat, Byers said.

The boat was about a quarter-mile from shore, according to Wootton.

Byers said Vargas suffered severe injuries to his upper body and head. Vargas' body was found without a life jacket, but Byers said that doesn't mean he wasn't wearing one at the time of the accident. It could have been ripped off by the force of the impact, Byers said.

Byers advised that boaters should always wear a life jacket while on the water.

The Folsom Lake Office of the California State Parks Department will be the lead agency in the investigation of the crash, Byers said. He said it was too early to determine a cause.

It could be a number of factors, including presence of debris, a mechanical failure, or driver error, he said. There was just a light breeze and no current in the area, he added.

Byers did say that speed was a contributing factor, but not a violation in that area of the lake.

The boat remains at the bottom of the lake, Byers said, and a dive team will recover it in the morning.

This is the first accident – and the first fatal one – at Folsom Lake this year, Byers said. He said he hopes it will be the last.

Wootton said this is not the first rescue operation he has participated in, but, "I feel bad for the person who lost his friend.

"It's very sad," Wootton said. "They wanted to go out and have fun for a couple of hours, and it just turns into a tragedy."
Calistar

Post by Calistar »

Sad.

If the big motor is on, I'm wearing a life jacket.
Its habit for me...like wearing a seatbelt in a vehicle.

My family depends on me to come home after each fishing trip.

I feel for the families of those two guys.

G.
sTony

Post by sTony »

Sounds like the boat started to chining and got bad enough that they caught a rail and flipped at speed. I guess the driver could tell them whether or not they were wearing PFDs going into the water, if he was so inclined. Sad story.

sTony
Last edited by sTony on Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahlzar

Post by bahlzar »

was it a bassboat ?
Ray Vanacore

Post by Ray Vanacore »

No it was a power boat ,I know of the guy that was driving, from what im hearing it looks like the boat started chine walking just before it flipped end for end. My prayers go out to the family of the deceased.
Ray Vanacore
bluefisher

Post by bluefisher »

I was at folsom that day and spoke to both of the two guys.They were at the dock draining the boat .He put in without the drain plug in.They were sober and nice guys .I wish they would have took that as a hint to be safe. And they were driving fast and reckless but no more than any ski boat or jet ski .People need to understand that if it feels unsafe it is unsafe and might cost you a good friend or one of your childrens life.On that note stay safe and report reckless behavior.
biteme

Post by biteme »

I feel for the family's.
Its just a matter of time before it happens again. My buddy was out with his wakeboard buddies the other day. He was telling me how they were doing 130mph. :roll: It was a new boat and the guy was a new driver. I gave my .02 on how they should really watch out out there. But they wont listen. Theres a reason why I stay off that lake. I know a lot of the guys that go out there. Thats what keeps me away.
whazup

Post by whazup »

Pardon my ignorance--been around boats a long time, but never heard of "chine walking". What is that? Thanks.
Chips

Post by Chips »

I have always wore my lifejacket even fun fishing you just never know.
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Chine walking....

The rear-most outside corners of a boats' hull are called the chines. If you have been in a high-performance bassboat you have probably felt it at one point or another.

What happens is basically the boat, while up on plane "dances" from left chine to right chine to left to right, etc. - while at speed. If you don't know how to handle it or you don't back out you can get in serious trouble, as these guys did.

Very unfortunate.... My prayers to the families.
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

A lot of boats just go way to fast.

Very sad..

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/