Delta Winds?

cbwiii

Delta Winds?

Post by cbwiii »

Which is least windy area of the Delta with these West and North West winds?

Any good generally protected areas to try in my aluminum boat?
kopper_bass

Re: Delta Winds?

Post by kopper_bass »

cb,
What kind of aluminum boat - tracker aluminum or a johnboat? this will help identify your range of travel.

Hiding from the wind in the delta really depends on the strength of the wind. Most canals offer some protection against a moderate north wind, just by fishing the the south facing walls. Areas even in Franks or Mildred are great, as long as the wind is moderate; you just got to get there thru wind blown water.

Most all the canals offer some protection, look for those with tall tulle berms that give you relief. going into the south delta where the canals are smaller and the levies are taller make it a bit better than the east delta. Also, looking on your map for oxbows that bend to the west offer great fishing in the backs since they will be protected from the N by NW wind.

Once the wind gets really blowing, there are few canals that are protected as the wind just goes up and over the levy or swings around and shoots from all angles. your only true chance of getting out of the wind now, is to head for the marinas.

Discovery bay is the most common place; easy access from Orwood resort and plenty to fish.

Another place i like is the S. Mokelumne entrance to the San Joaquin. here you have 3 resorts to hit at one time; all facing East.

Hope this info can help you some.

Kopper_Bass
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

The source of the winds hitting the Delta come from that corridoor and western valley that runs from Cordelia/Vacaville, south to the Altamont Pass. Typically the winds on most days are traveling from a west/northern origination and heading south and easterly. Along the western ridge of the Delta from Rio Vista down past Brentwood/Byron, is typically where you will always find the strongest winds. To the north and east of the San Joaquine and south below Stockton, is where you'll find the least amount of winds. Some days, it just don't matter where you are located, it howls and in many areas swirls, making fishing difficult at times.

There are many places here to get out of the wind. The various marinas located through out the Delta is as good a place as any to venture into. With the north and west winds, tucking behind the islands and sloughs fishing the south and eastern facing banks, will afford you some protection from the winds as well. The Delta breezes and winds are part of life here, just be safe and if ya use the knowledge with this info, you'll be able ta venture out there and enjoy a great fishing day just about anytime.
TTCal

Post by TTCal »

It's been a while, but when I was fishing out of my old boat, a 15' aluminum v-hull, I used to launch out of Paradise Marina exclusively and fish Disappointment, 14 Mile, and Whites... there are a lot of pockets in those areas behind tule islands and levee walls where you can find a degree of shelter from the wind.
Dennis "Cal" Shew
Enthusiast Tackle Editor
Tackle Tour : The Angler's source for tackle news and reviews
www.tackletour.com

[i]fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside[/i]
cbwiii

Post by cbwiii »

Thanks a bunch for the input guys!!!!

I have a deep v, decent range, and 40 or so mph. As long as there are no white caps, I can move around a bit, but would like to avoid a Big Break to Disco type run, and like to avoid the San Joaquine. With this info and previous experience in the Delta, I should be able to make the best of where I am.

With this good info, the question now is: since I'm coming from the North, is it worth it to run or launch south (as Disco is always a good safe haven)?
TTCal

Post by TTCal »

cbwiii wrote:With this good info, the question now is: since I'm coming from the North, is it worth it to run or launch south (as Disco is always a good safe haven)?
If you can, I'm always of the opinion of launching near where you intend to fish. Less time running on the water = more time to fish.
Dennis "Cal" Shew
Enthusiast Tackle Editor
Tackle Tour : The Angler's source for tackle news and reviews
www.tackletour.com

[i]fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside[/i]
cbwiii

Post by cbwiii »

So is consensus that the strenth of the West and Northwest wind is the same throughout the Delta, and I should look for the best protected pockets?
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

cbwiii ~ What model/size is your boat and what poundage of TM do you have on the front ?

I fished in windy conditions in the DDI -- Not fun at all battling the wind to hold position. Most of the time my arse end - even witht he motor up) was draggin rocks on the Easterly banks .... Had a heck of a time holding into the Westerly banks as well !!

I can be done as there are many places to tuck and also fish the tidal pockets as well to prevent excessive drift.

The Main Channel is was my biggest limitation with my 18' John Style boat (flat bottom).

Any day on the water first hand learning buy trial/error is always a better day than staying off the water. Image ~~ And right now the Delta is fishing Trail and Rewards ! :lol: :lol:

Use your head and take appropite safety precautions at all times from Launch to spots to back home -- and you will be fine. :D
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )