Wileyx Sunglasses.

Kevin Evans - Kap

Wileyx Sunglasses.

Post by Kevin Evans - Kap »

Who wears them and what do you think compared to other top brands.

Thanks,
Kap
You cant fix stupid, but you can vote it out...
Hipster

Re: Wileyx Sunglasses.

Post by Hipster »

Where's that Bonham dude when ya need him??

Kap, Dewayne Bonham I think is sponsered by Wileyx
he would be great advisor for your question

Mark
M. Warner

Post by M. Warner »

I am wondering the same thing, I like my costa del mars but was thinking about the wileys also.
BassCatPuma

Post by BassCatPuma »

I have 5 different pairs of Wiley's and Love them. If you get a pair make sure you try them on first and get a pair that fits and are comfortable it not then you have wasted your money because you won't wear them.
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.purefishing.com
www.nosweatmist.com
www.rodwraps.com
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

wore them saturday for the first time...so light didnt realize they were most of the day....and best of all lil or no glare....jack
jsoregon

Post by jsoregon »

Costa Del Mar is the way to go. Check out what you get... Top notch stuff!

http://jamessmileyfishing.com/costadelmarpictures.aspx
Dewayne

Re: Wiley-X Sunglasses.

Post by Dewayne »

Sorry been traveling and fishing, no time to post.

Kap,
The Wiley-X glasses are great for a number of reasons. Their background is 20+ years in eye protection for our military and law enforcement folks. To be successful in that market the frames have to be comfortable and durable. These are both attributes that also apply to fishing. The lenses are made of a highly impact resistant form of polycarbonate so they do not just protect your eyes from harmful UV rays, but also protect them from the flying jig from your partners out of control hook set. ;)

The two things that sold me on them were a facial cavity seals on the Climate Control Series and the optical clarity. The method they use to produce the lenses gives them an optical clarity that rival glass without the shatter concerns. Try on a pair and you will see what I mean. There is no optical distortion.

When I first joined their pro staff they had just come out with their polarized lines of glasses and I was not sure what they would be like with their limited experience in building fishing glasses. I went off to Havasu with 10 pairs to test. WOW was I impressed. I was seeing fish in places I did not think you could see them. When I got home to the Delta that year they were allowing me to see deeper beds and fish that others were not seeing. Not sure how they got it so right, but the polarization and lens tints work perfectly together.

Who is wearing them? Well this year Skeet, Edwin Evers, Boyd Duckett, Jered Lintner, Tanya Kreuser, and Steven Browning have all joined the Wiley-X pro staff. We all got a chance this spring to see their facility and witness the strict testing they are put through. Makes me feel much safer fishing Frank's Track in December.

Just try a pair and you too will be sold.

There is a lot of info on their web site including a dealer locator. If you have questions feel free to ask of shoot me a PM.

http://www.wileyx.com/FISHING/index.aspx

Dewayne Bonham
Wiley-X Pro Staff
Dewayne
cbwiii

Re: Wiley-X Sunglasses.

Post by cbwiii »

Which is the best low (early morning or cloud cover) light lens?
Dewayne

Re: cbwiii

Post by Dewayne »

That would be the Bronze/Brown or the Copper lens in a polarized. If polarized is not critical, then the Light Rust lens is a great low light lens. In low light conditions I have found that the brown to yellow lenses give the best contrast. They almost seem to brighten low light conditions. The Blink and the Jake are great Wiley-X low light glasses.

They are also great for sight fishing in cloud cover. The brown to copper lenses seem to make a huge difference on days that are not optimal for sight fishing. Of course with the Delta water color this year I have not been doing as much sight fishing as I would like. If I can just get them to make a pair that will see through dirty water. HHHMMMM!!!
Dewayne
jsoregon

Re: cbwiii

Post by jsoregon »

No to discredit Dewayne here, but to my knowledge Wiley only makes a polycarbonate lense (UGH!!!).

Remember, the military used this b/c of its impact resistance, not b/c of its visual acuity.

-Statistically polycarbonate has an ABBE value of 29.
-The human eye has an ABBE value of 53!
-CR-39 (most of Costa's lenses) have an ABBE value of 58!

Ask an eye doctor about this if you don't know much about ABBE values.

If you really want to see whats down there or especially if you have poor vision at times, you'll want to check out the #1 rated (by bassmaster magazine) sunglasses.

And regarding pro staffers, Wiley does a good job paying big names. I think most people know that you see more guys on the Elite Series with Costa (and most of them are not even pro staffers).

Costa gives way more back to the community, sponsors major bass trails (Elite series), and offers youth scholorships to better our sport. Thats money well spent to me...

:wink:

http://costadelmar.com/
Guyle

Re: Wileyx Sunglasses. thread jacker

Post by Guyle »

Hey oregon this is a Wileyx thread not a costa del mar thread.
jsoregon

Re: Wileyx Sunglasses. thread jacker

Post by jsoregon »

Guyle wrote:Hey oregon this is a Wileyx thread not a costa del mar thread.
haha...got it. Sorry. I'll leave now. 8) << those are costa's
Dewayne

Re: Correct

Post by Dewayne »

Polycarbonate is a trade off as is CR39 as neither are perfect. CR39 does measure better in that particular optical property. I am not sure how it applies to fishing though. As I understand, a lower ABBE value can cause light dispersion on the outer portion of larger lenses. This can cause a rainbow affect in your peripheral vision when trying to view objects with high contrast such as black printing on a bright white background. I guess if I was searching for albino bass on a black bottomed lake out of the corner of my eye I would have this as a big concern. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So the question is, would I prefer to have good contrast definition in my peripheral vision or a lens protecting my eyes that will not shatter? Since CR39 is prone to breakage and will shatter upon impact with a hard object it does not provide good physical protection of the eyes. The fact is even Costa uses Polycarbonate in several on their glasses. Polycarbonate is considered the preferred lens material for sports as it is safer and lighter than glass or CR39. If I were having prescription eye glasses made where I was more concerned with perfect optical property than physical protection of the eyes I might opt for CR39 lenses.

It is pretty simple. Try them both and decide.
Dewayne
markscolwell

Post by markscolwell »

I've got Oakley's new "Shallow Blue" lens.....freakin awesome!!!! It’s a bright light lens but they have a similar fishing specific lens with a different tent for low light situations.

I see just as many guys on tour with them too!
Whether in the military or in life, Service is the price for living!
j-dogg

Post by j-dogg »

I've got CR39 & 580 technology costa and freakin love them both.

D-man...tell Wiley to hook it up w/ better storage and cleaning supplies. Never owned a pair but tried them on a few times. Pretty nice too.
Splash

Post by Splash »

Kevin Evans - Kap wrote:Who wears them and what do you think compared to other top brands.

Thanks,
Kap
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:11 am Post subject: Re: Wileyx Sunglasses. thread jacker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey oregon this is a Wileyx thread not a costa del mar thread.

Looks like he was asking about WileyX "compared" to other brands. Didn't see anything wrong myself, other than Hobie makes the best glasses! LOL
Oh Well,maybe another day!!!

Andy Caldwell
jsoregon

Post by jsoregon »

SPLASH!!! I'm sorry bud...did you say "Hoe-bow sunglasses"? I didn't hear you right?

lol!
Last edited by jsoregon on Wed May 07, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Splash

Post by Splash »

jsoregon wrote:SPLASH!!! I'm sorry bud...did you say "Hooboo sunglasses"? I didn't hear you right?

lol!
BDO giveth; Splash taketh away! :twisted:
Oh Well,maybe another day!!!

Andy Caldwell
jsoregon

Post by jsoregon »

Splash wrote:
jsoregon wrote:SPLASH!!! I'm sorry bud...did you say "Hoe-bow sunglasses"? I didn't hear you right?

lol!
BDO giveth; Splash taketh away! :twisted:
I'll stay away brotha... :roll:

8) (thats me chillin in my Costas...)