lost rod and reel

Hughsonbassin

lost rod and reel

Post by Hughsonbassin »

This is a good one. Finally get my dad to go fishing last saturday (not really into it) and about 2 hours in I hear a big splash and him yelling from the back of the boat. I was dumbfounded when I turned around to see my Powell 701L and 2500 Sustain sinking to the bottom of Don Pedro. His comment to me was "I guess I will just have to buy you another one" and I said "Oh yeah, you know you just threw over 400 dollars overboard." then he said "I guess we better try to get it then" Tried to retrieve it but no luck. So I guess I am posting this to tell a funny story and say if anybody finds one it is mine.
Greg_Cornish

Re: lost rod and reel

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I threw my cousin's rod and reel into the lake on a backlash in 1970 at Big Sandy Lake in Minnesota. I accidentally hooked it three days later and brought it in. It cleaned up very well and he used it for years.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
twopump

Post by twopump »

Hope you get it back. The best story I ever heard about a lost rod happend to a sturgeon guide I fished with the day after our trip. He lost a rod to a big sturgeon and the boat next to him reeled it in, sturgeon and all. He had the recovered rod at his booth at this year's ISE. What a trip! Here's the long story:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/foru ... 1194921609
Burke

Post by Burke »

Several years ago, I went with one of my buddies to the ISE show in SF and he spent $1,000 on a Gloomis rod/Shimano reel outfit.

The following week, we had just got to Sycamore Slough and he was going to fish from the backseat with his new rod/reel. I was getting my rod when I heard a splash and he started to swear like crazy. He had tripped and to prevent himself from falling into the water, he dropped his rod and it fell into the water. For about an hour, we did everything to try to snag the rod/reel, but no luck. For the 2-3 weeks following, we went to that spot and spent an hour each time trying to snag the rod, but no luck. We finally gave up trying to snag it.

Then, one day, while I was fishing with my cousin, he called me up and told me that he had hired a scuba diver for $250 to dive and find the rod. We were fishing Hog Slough so I told him that I'll be in Sycamore when he gets there. My cousin and I went to Sycamore and fished close to the spot where my buddy lost his rod. After a while, I see my buddy's boat come into Sycamore, but he stopped about 200 ft short of the spot. I see the diver go overboard. The diver makes a couple of dives, but doesn't come up with the rod. I'm yellling to my buddy that he's short of the spot. He picks up the diver and comes over to me. I tell him that I'm on top of the spot. The diver goes overboard and finds the rod on the first dive.

Nowadays, everytime that we fish that spot, we laugh about the lost rod and how it was almost not found.
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

I went and bought a 65lb magnet for just that. I was out last weekend with a buddy and after being on the water for about 30 mins, he turns to me and asks, "Have you seen my other rod?"

I tried to warn him about taking care of his stuff, but oh well. I'm gonna head out this weekend or next weekend to try and recover it. He MIGHT get it back after that.

But back to the magnet, I remember reading somewhere that if you take an old microwave apart, they have REALLY strong circular magnets in them. All you have to do is tie some rope to it and you're done. You can use it to retrieve (some) lures and lost poles. Best thing is it doesn't take up much space at all!

Good luck with you're searching! Feel free to send me the locations; I can try to find them for you/ ME!
hydrate2o

Post by hydrate2o »

I was fishing the FLW last year on the Colombia, had a heck of a ride with Mike O'Shea. I reached down to pick up my G Loomis with a Chronarch 50 No where to be found. Figured it was history. At the wiegh in they said a rod and reel had been found, just need to describe it. Told them what I had lost down to the red white and blue rubber grips on the handle.. Yep someone had seen the cork handel and grabbed it.. Was real cool to find a honest person. I make sure they are locked down now.
Life is much to short to get upset over the little things, most things are little.
froteur

Post by froteur »

i was out on franks tract tuesday with my new (to me --- first time bassboat owner) boat. my buddy was teaching me how to run the boat. we also did a little fishing. anyway, we were running across franks on the way back towards the wall. he says that i was going about 60 when he saw my rod fly out of the boat .... right in the middle of franks tract!!!! :cry: :cry: he yelled, you lost a rod! you lost a rod! well, the combo happened to be the most expensive one that i own ..... a 7'1" compile-x steez rod paired with a steez reel. i slowed the boat and turned it around to go back and look, all the time cursing at myself for not strapping the rod down better (i DID strap it, just not good enough). i KNEW the rod was gone, after all we were in the MIDDLE of the tract. we idled back towards whence we had come and , unbelievably, after about a minute, i saw a tiny,shiny silver reflection in the water. it was my rod. somehow or another we found it!!! the sucker was floating. i STILL can't believe that we did! :D :D :D THAT was luck.