How many of you use

mac (Doyle McEwen)

How many of you use

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Chatterbait type lures and how successful have you been with them..I have only caught one fish on them, and that was on my second cast ever using the bait..I was fishing the Hook, Line and Sinker series with Eric Thoss and we were fishing one of the inlets on Franks Tract..The fish nailed it and got my heart thumping as it was only my second cast of the day..Managed to boat it and it was a 16 inch striper..Never have gotten another bite on the darned things..I keep tossing it every once in a while, but so far no other takers..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Burke

Re: How many of you use

Post by Burke »

I probably use chatterbait type lures about 50% of my time and have been very successful with them. Have a bunch of fish over 5lbs using them -- predominately black bass but have several stripers too. I love fishing them over weed beds

I only use 1/2 oz with 50lb braid and mainly use the colors white or chartreuse/white. When I use them, each retrieve is different -- stop n go, stop n let it drop, twitch my rod tip every now and then, run it fast, etc. I don't use their original tail, but use a 4" Yamamoto Kut Tail Laminate (color 922) or a 4" Yamamoto curly tail worm in a variety of colors.

My regular fishing partners is like you and have only caught 1 or 2 fish tossing them. He sees me catching fish with them, but doesn't have the confidence or patience to keep throwing them until he catches a fish.
Last edited by Burke on Sat May 10, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I've tried white on white, White/wtrmln, wtrmln/wtrmln, wtrmln/red, never got bit. Tried every conceivable retrieve. Not giving up till I get bit. Other people have good luck so I think I can too - eventually.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
optichamp

Post by optichamp »

I have thrown them occasionally, and had a good fish 3-4 lbs hit it but then throw the lure. I might try them again but so far haven't found the right color, trailer, or place to get a steady bite going.

Somebody posted here a while back about putting a Swim Senko on a Chatterbait. The seems interesting but I've only tried one color so far, and it didn't do anything.
"The wine was bad, but not dull. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth."

-Ernest Hemmingway, A Farewell to Arms
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Hite said he was using a swin Senko with a chatterbait when he won the Delta NG event this year..I haven't tried that combo yet, but might give it a shot on Clearlake next week..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
tim mc nicholas

Post by tim mc nicholas »

Mac I like a the Silent Thunder by Wacky Worm, it has an off set hook so you can rig the trailer to make it weedless. Ckeck them out. tim
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

i throw the chatterbait with basstrix on them....works real well on the delta
Monsterfishingtackle.com
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

mac (Doyle McEwen) wrote:Hite said he was using a swin Senko with a chatterbait when he won the Delta NG event this year..I haven't tried that combo yet, but might give it a shot on Clearlake next week..

mac
Jim Davies said he uses that set up too. I bought one at CL Outdoors and threw it for a half hour under different conditions. I think I'll give it 2 more tries then give it to someone I don't like.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
green_monster

Post by green_monster »

Greg,

How rude do I have to be for you to not like me? :wink:

vonspreck
"Work is for people who don't know how to fish!" unknown

http://www.folsombassteam.com
myrtle

Post by myrtle »

these baits suck!

I have almost stop using spinnerbaits because they seem to work better for me especially on spawn beds.