which one? mustang or SOSpenders

aNNieNsaLTIE

which one? mustang or SOSpenders

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

i rather wear something than nothing. i religiously run with my original life vest.

thank-you,
Steven
hunterdave

Re: which one? mustang or SOSpenders

Post by hunterdave »

I don't think it really matters which brand. Both brands are very good and have very high ratings. I have a Mustang auto inflate and I like it. (The reason I bought the Mustang is because it was red and that matches my jersey colors) They do work! Funny story, the day it arrived I took it out, tried it on and my 5 year old daughter looked at it, pointed at the yellow jerk handle and said "what's this Daddy?" As she reached for it and POW!! Pulled the cord. It inflated instantly. Needless to say, I jumped in the truck, ran to the tackle shop, and bought another CO2 kit. D'OH! Anyway, either one will work just fine. PLEASE WEAR YOUR PFDs!!!
Dave Gorden
Pro-Staff Bass Angler's Guide the Magazine
Pro-Staff Reaction Strike
Pro-Staff Radical Glow
dave@bassanglersguide.com
www.bassanglersguide.com
www.reactionstrike.com
www.radicalglow.com
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

thanks dave, gonna spend the dough right now!
hunterdave

Post by hunterdave »

No problem Steven. Let me tell you, comfort wise, they are worth the price! Plus they take up much less room when using and storing. I just leave mine attached to the kill switch lanyard and when I get up, I unbuckle it and it slides right over the back of my seat. Then when I sit back down to make a run, I just slide it right back on. Always on and always conected to the lanyard.
Dave Gorden
Pro-Staff Bass Angler's Guide the Magazine
Pro-Staff Reaction Strike
Pro-Staff Radical Glow
dave@bassanglersguide.com
www.bassanglersguide.com
www.reactionstrike.com
www.radicalglow.com
Brian

Post by Brian »

The new Mustang with the hydrostatic inflation is supposed to be much more reliable than the old SOS pill style.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... _100-11-11
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

I have both and prefer the Mustang. The hydrostatic is better than the pill and the Mustang has a D-ring to attach the kill switch.
Cooch

How bout this, Manual or Self Inflating?

Post by Cooch »

I've always had mixed thoughts with these new style PFDs. Especially with the SOSpenders and the way the Coast Guard has rated them. Here the manual vests are type 2 and the auto inflatables are type 3. The type 3 Auto inflatables are not recognized as legitimate PFDs in your boat, unless you are wearing them at all times. Yet the manual version is. This has always puzzled me and for purposes of being assured I always had enough legitimate vests in the boat, I always went with the Type 2 vests. This way, once we start fishing we're legal, since many of us will take them off, then put em back on again. At least at this point while fishing, if you ever got stopped and checked by authorities, you had the legal requirement for PFDs in yer boat.

But now I see another delima that we must all make in choosing these, which may sway my thinking process to purchase the other type 3 Auto-inflatable vest. If we're wearing the type 2 vests and git tossed overboard, the only way they inflate, is if we manually pull the cord. If we are knocked unconcious, such as what very well might have happened to Kyle, wearing that type of vest is useless. Were as the Type 3 Auto-inflatables, will inflate upon impact and entry into the water, hence bringing us to the surface. So in an effort to go the route of wearing that vest at ALL times, when in a boat, these are far more comfortable than conventional vest to do so with. Not ta leave out that as long as you ARE wearing it, it is a viable and legal PFD, which will float you in yer knocked out due to impact.

Now this really brings me to my final thoughts and questions as to why in the world, has the USCG, deemed the manual version acceptable at all times, yet the safer more reliable Self-inflating model, less acceptable? I guess I need to buy one of each, for every person in the boat. We can then we wear the type 3 Self inflating all the time. This way when we might take them off to fish, I have the other model, and by law, still have the legal number of PFDs in the boat.

Talk about ironic, I just don't git it!
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: How bout this, Manual or Self Inflating?

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Cooch, I don't know the reasons for the USCG decisions, but I do know the only auto-inflatables generally found in the US Navy were those wore by pilots and crewmen in aircraft with ejection systems..Those of us flying in non-ejection seat type aircraft had the manual inflation types..I would have the fear the auto inflate would not work when I most needed it..Everyone always brings up what happens if you are unconcious as a result of being tossed overboard..The auto-inflates may be of little use if they do not float you face up..There is also a chance they may not inflate at all..

In any case, the vests do little good at all if not worn..I never had the opportunity to rescue an accident victim, but unfortunately I did recover several bodies from various types of accidents..Those not wearing PFD's of any type were those I had the displeasure of recovering..That was more than enough lesson for me..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Cooch wrote:Especially with the SOSpenders and the way the Coast Guard has rated them. Here the manual vests are type 2 and the auto inflatables are type 3. The type 3 Auto inflatables are not recognized as legitimate PFDs in your boat
My Mustang 3183 Hydrostatic is type 2
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

mac (Doyle McEwen) wrote:Cooch, I don't know the reasons for the USCG decisions, but I do know the only auto-inflatables generally found in the US Navy were those wore by pilots and crewmen in aircraft with ejection systems..Those of us flying in non-ejection seat type aircraft had the manual inflation types..I would have the fear the auto inflate would not work when I most needed it..Everyone always brings up what happens if you are unconcious as a result of being tossed overboard..The auto-inflates may be of little use if they do not float you face up..There is also a chance they may not inflate at all.
Manual versus Auto? Only a price thing as the auto can be manually inflated. I have seen the inflation vest deployed. I doubt there is any way somebody could be face down in that vest.
drew

Post by drew »

The auto inflates are type 3 because they can't be served to someone who has fallen overboard. It's difficult to put on when inflated.

I have the Sospenders and would prefer the Mustangs. The Sospenders will inflate from minor moister.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Being fat and old, I wear a manual when fishing and a regular vest when running the big motor. I don't know if I could get my larda$$ over the gunwale or transom without help, especially in cold water. I wear either the manual or regular vest all the time now, even at Havasu in the summer. But then again I don't have to look cool.

I saw my kid, who swims well and was 18 at the time, fall out of the Champion while we were sitting still...just backed up and hit his heels on the side, and over he went into 55 degree water. The look on his face, wide eyed, jaw dropped, said he was scared. I had to tell him to pull the cord. Looking back, I'm glad he was wearing a vest.

If what happened to Dobyns happened to me, I'd be a statistic.

Wear 'em all the time.

Terry
leachman90

Post by leachman90 »

I like both of them and have both.Like it has already been said the key is to KEEP THEM ON!OT just abit.Since I have been fishing the NG and other tournaments from the back of the boat wearing one of these types of PFDs I never have to take it off.That way I am always ready for when the boater wants to leave,no waiting on me.This is a very good thing when fishing these things from the back.Now the other reward is it just might save your life as well.They are confrontable and lite weight.Even if it hits 90degrees out I can still keep it on with out any dis-comfort.PLEASE wear your PFDs,PLEASE.God Bless...Jim
www.insideline.net/index.php/forum
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

The reason I have the Mustang is it is easy to wear all day with no hindrance to fishing. It also has hydrostatic inflators so it won't go off in the rain or a wet locker. Best reason is if I get thrown out and am unconscious it will inflate. I did inflate mine. It gets huge and has a neck area inflated to hold your head up. That thing will float a 300 pounder.
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

Had the SOS auto model and keep it in my locker when the boat is in the garage. Somehow water got in the locker one summer day and when i got home I stow the jacket away in the locker. Coupal days later when I open the locker the jacket inflated due to moisture. My new one will be the latest model mustang puts out to avoid this problem again.
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

After doing some research, I bought the Mustang hydrostatic vest. I don't want to get knocked out on the way out of the boat and have no way to save myself. I wear my vest all the time. In the rare event I want to work on my tan I also keep at least one full body type 2 vest on board to meet the law.

No matter what type of vest you buy, the important part is to wear it. Not only when running the big motor, but when fishing too. I've had a number of occasions where a big wake almost threw me off the boat.

Be safe guys. I don't want to lose any more of you.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

This web-site has alot of info http://www.boatus.com/foundation/findin ... blepfd.htm
Also on the sospenders web-site there is another video of their vest.
I have the sospenders world class auto, Havent needed it yet knock on wood. But i wear it all day running or not.

Swimbait Syndicate
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Cooch, that's what I've been saying for years now... It makes no sense as to why the auto's are type 3 and the manuals are type 2. An auto thrown to someone already in the water will give them just as much help as a throw cushion! And there is a very strong possibility that you will get knocked unconcious or at least completely disoriented if you have an accident, especially at speed.

As for Mac's comments, the auto-inflates will also inflate manually with a tug of the ripcord, just as any manual will. I'd be more afraid I would not be able to pull the ripcord if I needed it than the auto not inflating. Think about it - if you end up in the water and have still have the capacity to think about and pull the ripcord to deploy the vest, it don't make one bit of difference if the automatic mechanism works or not. On the other hand, if you don't have that capacity to deploy your manual vest once in the water you might as well not even havve it on (unless someone is right there with you to pull it for you....). And as mentioned - at least with the World Class model SOSpenders - there is no way you will be face down in one of these in the water!!!

I have had two SOSpender World Class vests for about 4 years now. Only one time has one gone off unexpectedly. That was on the original "pill" that was over two years old and it had been worn all day in a pounding rain storm then stored wet. I call that user error! Besides, the manufacturer recommends an annual pill replacement anyway, for the cost of a crankbait.

Someone else mentioned a "D" ring for your kill switch. My SOSpenders have the same "D" ring, as do the manual SOSpenders as well as the non-hydrostatic Mustang vests.

Bottom line is that I would recommend an auto/manual type vest, be it the old-school pill type or the whiz-bang hydrostatic type. You'll be safer on the water!
Ross England

Post by Ross England »

Steven,

I have worn the SOSpenders since they became Coast Guard approved in the late 80's. The comfort of both brands is similar, floatation is similar, price is substantially different, and the auto inflate feature works differently.

Last year I broke down and switched to the Mustang auto due to my belief that the auto inflate system is more dependable. I have seen quite a few of the "pill type" auto inflates go off in the rain, in a damp storage locker, etc. I have not seen a hydrostatic go off unless it is submerged in water. Keep in mind that these vests have to have the charging systems replaced every other year and Mustang's replacement kits are more expensive than SOSpenders.

I have talked with several anglers who have hit the water after some sort of a mishap and to a person, they have all said that they were in the water for a while before thinking to pull the cord on a manual model. Based on that info, auto is the best way to go. Remember, when you need one of these the money doesn't matter.

Cooch's points are also right on regarding how the Coast Guard views these models. I just carry regular life vests on board as well to solve the issue although I rarely am in my boat without my Mustang on...it is just like wearing a seat belt, it becomes a habit.

Good luck!
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

luckily i did not buy the sospenders untill after reading all of this life saving input. i have made my choice to buy the mustang hydrostatic.

wasen't there a post from someone here getting thrown out of their boat in clear lake. he was just going straight, pretty fast, in the open water and suddenly his boat just jolted to the side? his sospenders did not inflate?

what were the facts on that story? does anyone remember?

steven
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Not sure, but if its true he might be the new owner of Sospenders :wink:
SWIMBAIT SYNDICATE

http://www.swimbaitsyndicate.com
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

Two of our guys here were running downriver to the ramp when the boat steering broke. Boat took a hard right and hit the canyon wall going 40mph or so. Both survived without vests on but only because a family with an RN fished them out within seconds. One was totally unconcious in the water. IMO automatic is the only way to go on either brand.
Dick McHenry

Post by Dick McHenry »

I almost hate to admit this! I have a pair of Suspenders (manual) that I wore for a couple of years. Good thing I never needed them!!! It seems that they were on display in the store with the CO2 cartridge not installed. Apparently too many little ones pulling the pretty yellow
button while shopping with their parents. One day I was just checking the vest and "Surprise". Anyhow, word to the wise: Make sure the cartridges are installed in your vests.
eddremax

Post by eddremax »

one of my partners was saying how he's never had a sospender go off on him in 7-8 years of owning it.Next time we went out in my boat I asked him to see it. I opened it up and the cartridge was never installed.
Ed
Brian

Post by Brian »

Ross England wrote: Keep in mind that these vests have to have the charging systems replaced every other year and Mustang's replacement kits are more expensive than SOSpenders.

Ross, the Mustang Hydrostatic only have to be serviced every 5 years.
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Anyone know the cost to re-arm a Mustang Hydro model, and where you can get the parts? I know many local stores that carry the parts for the SOSpenders but have not noticed any Mustang kits - but then I haven't been looking for them either...
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

The re-arm kit for the Mustang Hydro is about $75, but you only have to replace it every 5 years so it's not a big deal.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

I've gone back to a traditional vest....... foolproof safety

personally I wouldn't even consider a manual inflatable vest,,,but I have worn the SOS world class auto's for the last few years..... They're decent IMO, but I think my buddies Mustang was a little more comfortable (at least for me) and I really like the hydrostatic inflating system over the pill in the SOS'. Actually, I just had one of my two SOS go off in my boat compartment a few weeks ago..

Ifn' anyone out there is lookin... I'll part with my SOS' for about half price or so
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Smile_n_Jax wrote:The re-arm kit for the Mustang Hydro is about $75, but you only have to replace it every 5 years so it's not a big deal.
I went to that link- that initial layout surprised me! About $400 after shipping.... :shock:
Brian

Post by Brian »

Otay Michael wrote:
Smile_n_Jax wrote:The re-arm kit for the Mustang Hydro is about $75, but you only have to replace it every 5 years so it's not a big deal.
I went to that link- that initial layout surprised me! About $400 after shipping.... :shock:

Try this one. Same activation but Cheaper.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... -MDAH.html
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Brian wrote:
Otay Michael wrote:

Try this one. Same activation but Cheaper.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... -MDAH.html
Thanks Brian. That's more like it, only $229 before shipping and an option for something other that fire engine red, very cool.

Thanks again.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

My auto inflate Sospenders helped save my life in a bad accident a while back when I flew out of the boat at high speed. Luckily, I did not hit anything on the way out. I was totally disoriented for the first 30 seconds of being in the water and would NOT have been able to find a pull chord on a manual inflate model. I also lucked out and had a partner who is strong as a horse and was able to get me out of the water quickly.

I like the new PFD's like the auto-inflate Sospenders but am going to switch back to the taditional vest style because I would have ZERO doubt of performance. I also think that extra padding might have come in handy if I were to have collided with something on the way out of the boat.

These boating mishaps are getting way too common. So let's make sure we look after our fellow bass fishermen and if we see someone not wearing a PFD while the big motor is running...lets get on their case somehow... it can't hurt!
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Another point to keep in mind is that the manual vests have ~11 lbs of buoyancy while the Mustang provides close to 35. This additional buoyancy is especially important in the winter with the weight of extra clothing. Something to consider.

I'm a recent Mustang MD3183 owner, paid ~$180 or so with shipping. The re-arm kits are about $45-50, think I saw them on the wall at the Hook @ Russo's.

Mine rides kind of high on my neck, but there have been many times over the last few weeks that I've caught myself fishing without realizing it was on. Wasn't aware of the type3 issue, interesting.
"I'll just drop it on their head, and then rip their lips off with a TV hookset..." <i>unnamed angler when discussing how he fishes a jig</i>
AaronAgner

Post by AaronAgner »

One minor thing to take into consideration: If you fish the FLW and ever make the cut, you wont be allowed to wear your Mustang PFD (Not an official sponsor of FLW). I found that out this year at Shasta. They made me borrow a traditional foam vest. But as far as the Mustang goes, i have had the hydrostatic one for about two years and really like it.
AaronAgner

Post by AaronAgner »

NM
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

Robert F.
is that mustang on boat fix.com the exact same as the one everyone else is selling for 229.00. i can read but sometimes it takes a while for me to believe...........

Steven
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

yep. same one as mikes pic. the best geal going.
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

MikeD wrote:Another point to keep in mind is that the manual vests have ~11 lbs of buoyancy while the Mustang provides close to 35. This additional buoyancy is especially important in the winter with the weight of extra clothing. Something to consider.
The SOSpender "World Class" auto/manual is also rated at 38lbs of bouyancy.
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]