Good reel on frog rod?

Otay Michael

Good reel on frog rod?

Post by Otay Michael »

Ok, say I get one of the great frog rods mentioned in the other thread, which I will very soon. What is the best reel under $200 to go with it. I will put 65# braid on it and want it to be able to pull the hogs through tulles once hooked. :shock:

Is there one with a 7:1 ratio that would work? The reason is there is one lunker that I've hooked into twice that has outrun my reeling abilities and thrown the frog before I could get a good hookset. :roll: The Curado, which I now use, slips too much even though I've got the drag set to max. It would be nice if it was not too heavy as I throw it all day, but that is the last consideration for now.
Jason C.

Re: Good reel on frog rod?

Post by Jason C. »

Well first off I gotta ask, do you have some mono backing behind the braid? If not that would be the cause of the slippage on your reel. If not then it sounds like your drag disks are shot and you need new ones. If thats the case contact Tony Mello(TonyM is his screen name on here)

If you want to stay away from the curados then go with a Revo. They got them from 99$ all the way up to 279$ All are good reels and are a great reel for just about any technique that you can use a bait caster with!!

I hope this helps!!

Tight Lines,
Jason Conser
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Jason C. wrote:Well first off I gotta ask, do you have some mono backing behind the braid? If not that would be the cause of the slippage on your reel. If not then it sounds like your drag disks are shot and you need new ones. If thats the case contact Tony Mello(TonyM is his screen name on here)

If you want to stay away from the curados then go with a Revo. They got them from 99$ all the way up to 279$ All are good reels and are a great reel for just about any technique that you can use a bait caster with!!

I hope this helps!!

Tight Lines,
Jason Conser
Yeah, I've got the backing. Might be the disks.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Revo SX for $149 at your local Pro Shops with #65 ..... Built like a brick Chit House, Cast way further- and way more smoother than one of Huel Howser's stories .... and is available in 7:1 as well.

Some places online have them for less -- But you have to weigh the cost of shipping and tax if comming out of state.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
SHAFT

Post by SHAFT »

I just picked up one of these I'm going to put it on my frog rod and try it out this weekend . It should have a pretty hefty drag
and for $70 how can you go wrong .

http://www.outdoorproshop.com/Quantum-E ... _reels.htm

jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

That quantum reel is sooo sweet. If only i hadnt bought two shimano's with the rebates. I would of rather bought that bad boy on top. Oh well, the shimanos are still great reels....
Brian

Post by Brian »

Castaic.
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
kevkc629

Post by kevkc629 »

Jason C. wrote:Well first off I gotta ask, do you have some mono backing behind the braid? If not that would be the cause of the slippage on your reel. If not then it sounds like your drag disks are shot and you need new ones. If thats the case contact Tony Mello(TonyM is his screen name on here)

I hope this helps!!

Tight Lines,
Jason Conser
How much mono is used for a backer on a baitcaster? Also is mono used as a backer on spinning reels?
Nick Langlois

Post by Nick Langlois »

Okay i know thats its a little over 200$, buck you have got to try the 7:1 zillion form daiwa. The reel is nuts!!!
nick
Mike

Post by Mike »

Brian wrote:Castaic.

+1
OG on WB since 1993
Phil

Post by Phil »

GARCIA 4600C4
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

Kevkc629,
You only really need enough to cover the the spool a couple times over, so about 5-10 yards is fine. But what I personally do is fill the spool about half way with the mono backing this way I can save money and be able to use the same spool of line 2or 3 times. In all reallity you only really need about 50 yards because most of the time your not casting more then 20-30yards, most of the time I'm flippin and pitchin with my braid even with top water(I mainly throw frogs and usually dont have to cast to far) Also if you think the braid is starting to get old, take it off turn it around and put it back on so that the stuff on the bottom is now on top, its basically like brand new line and helps even more with the money saveing department! I hope this helps!!

Tight Lines,
Jason Conser
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
Steve45

Post by Steve45 »

I understand that the Revo's have 24 pounds of drag, that said, I would look at that, although I use the shimano Castaic on my Lamiglas custom Frog rod. Steve
wccjanel

Post by wccjanel »

Mike,

Do yourself a favor, go see John Cassidy at Anglers Arsenal. He'll get you a good deal on a Quantum Energy PT Burner. These are truly awesome reels. Period. Get one, and if you find me wrong, I'll pay you ten bucks over what you paid for it.

Seeya Saturday.

Peace,
James
www.thefishicon.com
James Nelson
- Fish Inspired -
http://www.thefishicon.com/
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

wccjanel wrote:Mike,

Do yourself a favor, go see John Cassidy at Anglers Arsenal. He'll get you a good deal on a Quantum Energy PT Burner. These are truly awesome reels. Period. Get one, and if you find me wrong, I'll pay you ten bucks over what you paid for it.

Seeya Saturday.

Peace,
James
www.thefishicon.com
Between you, Shaft and Tom Leogrande I'm sold and ordering one before the end of the month to get that great price. I am going to put it on a Quantum frog rod. I'm excited to have a dedicated system finally as I through Kermit so much during the year.

For you newbies that want to know how to fish a frog, I've written an article a couple of years back and now updated it with all the rod and reel suggestions from here and elsewhere.

Here is the link:
http://www.seewald.com/how_to_fish_frogs.htm

Disclaimer: I'm no pro but I've leaned this pattern fairly well and I get a lot of fish on it. Got two last night but darn if the big one did not break 65# test on the hookset in the tulles! I think it might of cut on the split ring as the knot was still there. That's the first, and probably the last, time I used one, at least a regular one. I think I saw one designed that does not have the ends barred.

Here is the other one that did not get away yesterday afternoon at Lake Hodges:

Thanks to all of you for the reel suggestions.
liveSTRONG

Post by liveSTRONG »

I have a Revo STX High Speed 7:1 on my frog rod. Great drag, and smooth as can be. Can find great deals on ebay.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

liveSTRONG wrote:I have a Revo STX High Speed 7:1 on my frog rod. Great drag, and smooth as can be. Can find great deals on ebay.
I recently got the Revo, due to all the high compliments about it in a thread on 'good yet affordable reels', but not the high speed one; what a nice smooth comfortable reel.

On frog fishing, I found the Dean Rojas video on it that I'd heard about, here it is:
http://www.spro.com/ products/index.php ... 1864a281b

It was made at Clear Lake.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
getalife

Post by getalife »

Castaic... the original one.
CHANGE is not a destination, and HOPE is not a strategy!