June Lake fishing

Mort

June Lake fishing

Post by Mort »

Ok so I am going on a field study class with a bunch of other teachers to the Eastern Sierras and June Lake is where we are going to be staying for at least one night. I know there is not going to be any bass there, but I have heard the trout fishing can be good so I am going to take a few pack rods and fish in the early morning and evenings. Any suggestions for tackle? I was thinking kastmasters, panther martins, and rooster tails along the shore. I know powerbait and worms would work, but being a bass guy it is tough to get away from artificials.

Thanks,

Mort

There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.
Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
ash
SpeedBump

Re: June Lake fishing

Post by ash »

I stayed with my parents on June lake loop. I would suggest driving around the lake to the streams on the west side take two rods one with a 1/4oz egg sinker and the Berkley Power bait power eggs (string two to float a size 4 red gammie hook) Set this rig up in a eddy and then walk the stream casting a panther marten or another spinner.

I did best on the bait setups, the fish would start to load up in the slack water and we would double hook up cast after cast, this would die down and while you are waiting you can take up time by fishing the lures.

This is a beautiful lake and area just to hike and stream fish in.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

Mort,

Used to vacation with the family at Grant Lake. There are some monster trout in that pond. I use to catch 'em throwing a streamer on about a 7' leader with a sliding float on spinning gear. Lots o' Fun!

Never fished the other lakes in the June Lake loop but like Jonathan said, the local streams can be fun to. Just be sure to check the regulations on what is actually open and fishable.

Obi
DL

Post by DL »

If you have your own wheels, drive toward 395 and park on the North side of the road, near one of the "ICY" signs and walk down the bank. Its an easier hike down than you think. Being a spring fed lake, the water is ultra clear and using anything more than 2 lb test is almost futile. Bait: inflated nightcrawler, rainbow powerbait, and a marshmallow with a salmon egg. Artificial: Super Dupers, Thomas bouyants, and those you mentioned will catch fish. So will 1/16 oz crappi jigs...

OR

Head further in the loop to Rush creek. Rush creek runs out of Silver Lake and into Grant and is your best bet in the Loop. Cast nightcrawlers on a 1/16 split shot rig or with a clear bubble(like a carolina rig with the bubble as a floating weight.) The same lures work well there too... Wherever you fish in the Sierras, you cant go wrong. Reverse Creek runs between Silver and Gull lakes, and has eager fish as well. Same techniques as Rush....

GOOD LUCK!
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

grab a copy of Western Outdoor News. It has the best reports on Eastern Sierra fishing opportunities.
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
Derrek Stewart

Post by Derrek Stewart »

Being a bass angler also I can not stand soaking bait either. First off go to Ernie's Tackle in June, you can't miss it. Tell them what you have and the way you want to fish and they will tell where and what to tie on. That is dead bang on, you will recieve the most current and accurate info available. Line weight is very important, but remember there are some awesome trout in the four lakes and two streams located within the June Lake Loop. I like small tube jigs, trout traps, crickets (usally purchased in Bishop during cooler periods), extra light panter marten's and rooster tails in the streams. The lakes, June and Gull I know the best. I like trolling (they have rentals) small cranks, fly and bubble without the bubble, in-line spinners, what ever. I will use lead-core or a keel sinker deep and mono up top untill I find the depth. If you are going to fish from shore you might want to consider the streams, if they are on. You will get more from the lakes if you are in a boat. There are shore spots for the lakes but I am thinking like a bigmouthbassman. Again call head and stop by Ernie's they will hook you up, they want you to come back. Throw them a few bucks and if the info pans out stop by on your way out. The town of June is unlike most and truly 'California Gold' H.H.
Keep Casting
Wet Lines
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

June Lake can be a good lake. Try the rocky southern bank below the road that goes along the lake. I like to park at the swim beach and walk over to where it starts to get deeper. You can park along the road in certain spots too, but its steep to get down to the shore. My favorite hardware at any lake in the E. Sierras is the red/gold or green/gold Thomas Bouyant spoon. Little tube jigs and mini jigs (like crappie jigs) also work very well, but of course cant be cast very far....but the fish dont see them often.

Paul W
Rick Perez

Post by Rick Perez »

June Lake is a awesome place to fish for trout and I'm sure you will have a great time there. I would suggest to eat at the June Lake Steak house outstanding food. If you are looking for a place to stay try the June Lake Motel. They are set up with kitchens so you can cook and and eat in.

have fun!!
Rick..
optichamp

Post by optichamp »

These guys have some excellent trout spinners:

http://www.wyldedge.com/index.html

Kastmasters & Thomas Bouyants are popular lures. Powerbait under a float works, too - if you are fishing for dinner. Trout will swallow the bait and be difficult to release unharmed.

There are trophy sized "bows" and Browns in those lakes, minnow type baits work on them.

It is gorgeous country, and 30 inch mule deer have been taken in the mountains near there, too :D
"The wine was bad, but not dull. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth."

-Ernest Hemmingway, A Farewell to Arms
TomL

Post by TomL »

June Lake brings back memories for me.

I used to take a trip there every summer with my grandparents. Wow... those creeks were fun to fish! and we used to rent a boat on Silver Lake 1 day and troll..

I always wanted to catch a brown trout but never did there!
Mort

Post by Mort »

Thanks for all of the great info! You guys rock.

Mort

Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.
Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
TomL

Post by TomL »

Oh, I should have mentioned how I used to catch them. It's been a while now... but, I used to slay them out there. Generally catching my limit and both my grandparents limit each day! and I had to eat every one of them! No wonder - I don't eat fish anymore!

Creeks - Fly fishing or salmon eggs on a light sinker drifting - kinda like salmon fishing from what I understand.

Lakes - Green with yellow and black spot (mold looking) Needle fish, Kastmasters and Super dupers.

If they happen to stock the lakes while you are there - The fish won't eat bait when they are stocked - but, they will hammer the needle fish, super duper or Kastmaster!!!

We generally campled and fished at the middle lake - I am pretty sure that was called Silver Lake. Also, I remember my grandfather telling me there were land locked salmon there as well... never caught one but, supposedly they are there!

Have fun!