Reel Lube and maintenance

edge

Reel Lube and maintenance

Post by edge »

I fish Chronarch MG's and Stradics. What reel lube do you all recommend?

Are ceramic bearings worth it when you factor in the cost?

Please mention sources for the materials you recommend so I don't have to search the net to find them!
Norv

Re: Reel Lube and maintenance

Post by Norv »

Edge,

Try Xtreme Reel+. It is a liquid dry lubricant with a heavy anti-corrosion package. It dissolves grease, oil and salt on contact. It opens the pores of the metal and fills them in with micro lubrication particles that are slippery, hydrophobic and stronger than grease and oil and will not absorb salt like wet lubricants! Xtreme Reel+ is the easy way to maintain your fishing reels, simply open the reel so you can see the gears and bearings, then squirt all moving parts, turn the handle to actuate all friction surfaces.

I have used it on my Chronarch MGs and Stratics as well as other reels and it's fantastic. I have applied Xtreme Reel+ to several reels owned by a fellow angler that had just been cleaned and lubed with conventional lubricant. He said that Xtreme Reel+ made the reels even smoother and freer.

You can research Xtreme Reel+ at www.xtremelubricants.com.
Norval Chan

ESOX Rods
Put a Sock on It
Xtreme Reel+
Peregrine 250
Water Dog
Eagle Eye
California Community Credit Union
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

Edge.....I too use Chronarch reels and like anyone else want them to perform as best they can. So to that end I took the ceramic bearing plunge and from my experience it is not worth the money. I feel a well maintained reel w/standard bearings works as well as my ceramic modified reels.
FISH2WIN55

Post by FISH2WIN55 »

Another plug for xtreme reel +. The stuff is amazing.
edge

Post by edge »

I saw that there is Extreme Reel Plus and Extreme Gear Plus. Am I correct that Reel Plus is for the bearings and line roller and spool shaft and the Gear plus is for the gears inside?
Norv

Post by Norv »

Edge,

The Xtreme Gear lubricant was designed for for use in the larger salt water reels and other reels where the tolerances may be less than the reels you mentioned. When Xtreme Gear is used on reels with lower tolerances it will fill in the imperfections and help the gears operate smoother. In the case of your Chronarch MGs and Stradics all you need to use is Xtreme Reel+.
Norval Chan

ESOX Rods
Put a Sock on It
Xtreme Reel+
Peregrine 250
Water Dog
Eagle Eye
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

I don't plug products unless I've personal experience with them. I'm also very leery of all the new stuff that gets plugged here by guys that are sponsored by the said products.
With that said, this Xtreme reel lube is quite impressive in my experience. Great cleaner and I do get a little more distance with a cast.
I have wondered though, and maybe you can answer this Norval. If I were to venture a guess, dry lubricants are usually like a graphite material, and with extended use, will that not cause some wear due to friction and shorten the life of the bearings? I figured even if that was the case it would be minimal and the gains out way the losses.
So with all that-try the Extreme Reel Lubricant- it seems to be the real deal. I'm not sponsored by anyone except my own wallet to steal a line from G-Man.
I had to come back...I know...
Norv

Post by Norv »

Mike,

I really like Xtreme Reel+. but I'm not an expert on lubricants. However, if the reel is smoother and freer after an application of Xtreme Reel+ it seems that indicates reduced friction which would mean less wear on the moving parts. One angler that I talked to at the Northern California Club Classic tournament said that he cleaned a lot of reels and that he really liked Xtreme Reel+. He prefers a coating of grease on the drive gears and was going to talk to the company about the advantage of a combined use of their Xtreme Gear grease and Xtreme Reel+.

Since Xtreme Reel+ is so easy to apply if there is a concern about how long the dry lubricant will adhere to the moving parts an angler can apply it on a more frequent basis. The more frequent application will have the added benefit of keeping your reels clean and well lubricated which will allow the reel to perform at optimum performance levels. The company officials state that since Xtreme Reel+ is so easy to apply there are some anglers who apply it while on the water if they sense a decrease in the performance of their reels.

I will follow up with the company on this discussion and will let you know what they have to say.
Norval Chan

ESOX Rods
Put a Sock on It
Xtreme Reel+
Peregrine 250
Water Dog
Eagle Eye
edge

Post by edge »

I just cleaned up an older Calcutta....and all I can say is WOW!!!. I stripped it down...cleaned it up and lubed with Xtreme Reel...this reel paired with an Elias Sig series rod is a rocket launcher for my DD22's...

What an amazing lubricant....phenomenal...and then some!
Norv

Post by Norv »

edge,

Glad to hear that the Xtreme Reel lubricant worked for you. :D