Cleaning your hull?

spanky99

Cleaning your hull?

Post by spanky99 »

Since moving out to our marina I seem to be leaving my boat on the water for longer periods of time. Last year I was pulling it out every week to pressure wash it down. I pulled it out today after leaving it in for two months. It just too convenient to and walk out to the dock and jump in. I spent hours pressure washing it and scrubbing it to no avail. Is there a good hull cleaner that you can spray on and wash off? I thought about investing in a boat lift but our marina doesn't much depth.
sean alarid

Re: Cleaning your hull?

Post by sean alarid »

My dad did the same thing out here on the delta and never got it out. It stained. As far as I know of there isn't anything out there! :cry:
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Back in the mid '80's there was some stuff .... It was dangerous though and would dayum near keel you over if you took off your mask cause it was to hot out in the sun.

I more than imagine that it has been banned ....

Only other thing was to use a dry soft abrillo pad on a dry hull to knock off the long grass-- then put the boat back in the water and soak for 4 hours then take out and rub with a wet/soft brillo pad and Soft Liquid Commet/Old Regular Commet.

Follow up with Sea Star compound and wax with a buffer to make as best can be with the gel-coat's condition.

Back then I charged $5 an hour in DBay + supplies as needed. Now I would not even dream of doing that again !! :lol:
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
biteme

Post by biteme »

Compound and polish that sucker! Get a buffing wheel and go to town.
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

biteme wrote:Compound and polish that sucker! Get a buffing wheel and go to town.
+1......LIGHT rubbing compound, a good coat of polish and then a good coat of wax.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

spanky99 wrote:Since moving out to our marina I seem to be leaving my boat on the water for longer periods of time. Last year I was pulling it out every week to pressure wash it down. I pulled it out today after leaving it in for two months. It just too convenient to and walk out to the dock and jump in. I spent hours pressure washing it and scrubbing it to no avail. Is there a good hull cleaner that you can spray on and wash off? I thought about investing in a boat lift but our marina doesn't much depth.
This is a very difficult task Spanky, now that ya got that 2 month Algae coat off, the stain left behind is tough ta git rid of. That algae just seems to absorb deep into the pores of yer hull. I had this exact same problem with my cousin's boat, he wouldn't listen to me and come yank it out every other week.

I have heard that the electric buffer thing is the best way ta go, depending on how bad it is, the rubbing compond doesn't always remove it from the bottom, and it is a very tedious job doing this while the boat rests on yer trailer, some areas can't get touched. If'n I was you, I'd invest in one of those newer, rubber inflatable boat hoists, them things work no matter how shallow the water is around yer dock!!!!!
rickd

Post by rickd »

The stuff you want to get is made by Spray Nine and called Marine Boat bottom cleaner.

No hydrochloric acid so it won't burn your hands or eyes.

I have used the acid before and it works awesome but it's not good for you to breath or get on your skin.

The trickiest part of the operation is putting the boat in the air, be safe and use blocks!
Last edited by rickd on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

I just got an ad today in the mail from West Marine and they have their heavy duty hull cleaner on sale right now. Might be something to look into.

Scott
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

I just cleaned my boat with some stuff called Easy on Easy Off..... IT WORKS.... i got it at West Marine for $ 12.00
belive me. this stuff is what you want. no scrubbing
It comes in a quart bottle & it took about a third of a bottle to clean my 21 footer.
one of my neighbors was so impressed he was going to buy himself some. I let him use mine.
try it... you will be impressed.
Wise men STILL seek Him....
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

912nitro wrote:I just cleaned my boat with some stuff called Easy on Easy Off..... IT WORKS.... i got it at West Marine for $ 12.00
belive me. this stuff is what you want. no scrubbing
It comes in a quart bottle & it took about a third of a bottle to clean my 21 footer.
one of my neighbors was so impressed he was going to buy himself some. I let him use mine.
try it... you will be impressed.
Outstanding, if'n it cleaned the bottom of that Nitro that sits in the shed on Dutch, I'm on my way ta git a bottle NOW! Thanks Joe!!!!
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I just just stopped by the Marine Emporium, at the bridge at Bethel Island, they were out of the Easy ON/OFF, but the guy gave me some stuff called Davis' FSR. It's a blue gel and works like Magic! $10!!!!
TWinger

Post by TWinger »

Anyone have any magic for me. My boat trailer sits in the sun, one side of the trailer fiberglass fender in turning yellow and has less shine then the other. Anything you can suggest to bring it back to new?
Troy Winger
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

Thats the one Cooch..... Dillard named my boat * the brown turd *.... after i cleaned it it looked so good he took my easy on easy off & cleaned his so i wouldnt give his the same name......
Wise men STILL seek Him....