Siemantel copy cats Mattlures

Steve

Siemantel copy cats Mattlures

Post by Steve »

Just thought you all might find this post interesting. I did.

http://www.newenglandfishing.net/index. ... opic=23060
rich mendoza

Re: Siemantel copy cats Mattlures

Post by rich mendoza »

it comes up with this

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available
Guyle

Post by Guyle »

All I get is an error page :?
Steve

Post by Steve »

I was afraid of that. Well then you will have to go to this link and register, it takes two seconds.

http://newenglandfishing.net/
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

:D
Last edited by Tin Can on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bassenvy

Post by bassenvy »

ouch! I'd be pissed if I was Matt! there are way too many knockoffs already out there why be so blatant if you've been making baits with your father for 20 years :?: :twisted:
tmiller

Post by tmiller »

I am fairly new to all the swim baits, but I even thought the picture looked like a direct copy of Mattlure's bluegill. My opinion is that this should be posted on the south forum as well. Let all the consumers know the story. The south forum has a short blurb on Siemantel being nominated to the freshwater hall of fame...how do you feel about that in this light?
upriverLMB

Post by upriverLMB »

lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

Bill is a talented lure designer! :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
Brian

Post by Brian »

GOOD JOB TIN CAN, WAY TO BREAK COPY RIGHT INFRINGEMENT LAWS. :shock:
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
Scott Shambre

Post by Scott Shambre »

lunker punker wrote:Bill is a talented lure designer! :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Brown noser!!!!!
Is there a Lost Land of retards????
L.Hackney

Post by L.Hackney »

Scott Shambre wrote:
lunker punker wrote:Bill is a talented lure designer! :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Brown noser!!!!!
That's what I was thinking Scott...... :lol:
http://basscat.com/

http://mossdale-boats.com/

http://placervilleflyfishing.com/

http://luckydoginc.net/

http://www.eyesurrenderonline.com/
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Brian wrote:GOOD JOB TIN CAN, WAY TO BREAK COPY RIGHT INFRINGEMENT LAWS. :shock:
Huh?
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
bass king

Post by bass king »

that's pretty weak if any of this holds true....

why make a bait someone else has already done? and to do it the exact same way....

talk about biting....

:roll:
bahlzar

Post by bahlzar »

bass king wrote:that's pretty weak if any of this holds true....

why make a bait someone else has already done? and to do it the exact same way....

talk about biting....

:roll:
i agree !! :evil:
Bill Siemantel

My one and only reply Bill Siemantel

Post by Bill Siemantel »

Matt Wrote:

Here is a picture of one of his"new" baits from Icast
He didnt even take the time to carve out his own master. He just took one of my baits and put a double hook in it. Its the same as my original gill. I recognize every detial on the bait. He took one of my original gills and scanned it on to a computer. Then its on a file and you have several 3d images. From there you can make alterations. Like removing the MATT from the tail. It also makes everything semetrical so both sides are the same. You pick one side or the other to duplicate. When I redid my original gill and made my ultimate gill I corrected many of the details that were not anatomicaly correct. Since it was one of my first carvings it wasnt very good. There were details that always botherd me that I HAD to fix. Hence the Ultimate gill. Now the second I saw "bills" gill I noticed all my little mistakes were captured on his bait. I can see were I used different tools for different details and its all right there on bills gill. Even all the fins are exactly the same as my original gill. No technically its not "EXACTLY" the same because his bait is perfectly semetric and even all the scales are the same. The scan doesnt include the scales. Those are added after the rest of the mold is cut. My sclaes are all slightly different as I did them one at a time on an actualy hand carved master. This is not the only bait of mine he is ripping off. He also copied my little perch bait with the same process. Only a little of the public even knows how he screwed Jerry Rago. Most have no clue that the BBZ was a rip off of the tool. Bill actualy asked Jerry for 12 or 15 of them when he was writting his book. Jerry sent him 1 or 2 and he couldnt figure out why bill wanted so many. Of course Jerry had no idea that bill was copying his bait. When Bill debuted the BBZ at I cast he wouldnt make eye contact with anybody. Mike Long John Kerr, Myself, Jason, Mickey, Jerry and several other swimbait guys. If one of us came into the booth and looked at his bbz he would just leave and wouldnt comeback untill the person was gone. He definatly knows what he did. I obviously dont have a high opinion of him.

Bill's reply:

Well, with all the slander and no proof of anything that I am being accused of I will respond only one time on this matter.

I guess the only way to answer Matt is to take his letter apart in sections so we are ALL clear on the process I took to build the new line of BBZ-2 soft swimbaits.

1-He didn’t even take the time to carve out his own master. He just took one of my baits and put a double hook in it. Its the same as my original gill.

Let me be the first to say that I am not a master carver of baits, never have and more than likely, never will. Out of all the years I have been trying to build baits and helping build baits for other people, Ken Huddleston is by far the most gifted man that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I have watched him take a chunk of clay, or block of wood and turn it into art. I, on the other hand am not gifted in that area. But, to say I took your bait and just copied it is a false accusation. Here is what I go through to start to build a swimbait. 1- photo’s, 2- looking at Van Dykes taxidermy supplies to find a bait fish that I am trying figure out on proportion and size, 3- dealing with Japan to try and make my not so good carving half way descent. Ken has set the bench- mark on trying to make my most realistic baits ever and as time goes on, so do a lot of other people Rago’s Bluegill and Allen Cole’s bluegill (the one I saw at ICAST is beautiful and looks alot like your ultimate Bluegill). Why, that is what we all deserve as fishermen; the very Best baits that can be built.

That being said, here is what really matters. We can only make a bluegill look so many ways, but making a bait that is balanced right, tracks true, durable, and priced so we can all enjoy the sport of Big Baits, and Swimbaits is what it should be all about. Proportionally the bait is smaller in length, height, and width. Also I have a standard boot tail unlike Matt’s, Also the double frog hook jig and weight system does not follow Matt’s in any way. This is and will be a different swimbait.

Matt, you have one of the best bluegill swimbaits on the market for bed fishing. I have told many people that if they want a bluegill that sits on the bottom that does not fall over while bed fishing, yours is the best. I was asked by some very good friends a few years back to build a bluegill for Lake Amistad for deepwater structure fishing. That is what I am trying to build. If you use my bait for bed fishing, well, you are way better off using your bait. Mine will fall on its side. I am making a line of soft swimbaits that are old school boot tails. The baits that my Dad and I used back in 1985 ( Sassy Shads ), then later on the Worm King, Ronolski, my fat body swim bait I built with Pete Cormeir, then came the Optimum. I wanted to build a swimbait that has great tail kick on the slide, tracks true at a wide range of speeds, and has great directional flare on the rip. I really do not want to make a Matt’s bluegill, if I need to use a bluegill on a bed I will buy one of yours.

2- this is not the only bait of mine he is ripping off. He also copied my little perch bait with the same process.

Matt, I was asked but Spro to come out with a full line of swimbaits. Instead of coming out with one bait at a time, I have been working on a 3â€
Mattlures

Re: My one and only reply Bill Siemantel

Post by Mattlures »

Bill the Proof is in the picture!!!!!
Bill I do not wish to continue this either so I will respond and hopefully that will end it.
The bluegill you made is not a copy of a bluegill. it is a copy of my original bluegill. They look the same. Every feature that I carved into that bait is in yours. Even the fins are exactly the same. If these fins and details were an exact copy of a real bluegill. I would not have said anything. However they are not. My original gill has many details that are incorect and at the time was as good as I could carve, Your gill has duplicated every single one of these features right down to halfcircle scales on the outer cheeks and the tiny cut scales on the inner cheek.
Ok so you shrunk it down a tiny bit. my question is.........Why not just carve out your own or hire somebody instead of copying mine?

At Icast 06 I was there. I was not there "with" the other names I mentioned. I did happen to talk to those guys or wittness them come by your booth. I actualy went to your booth to check out the bbz. I had no bad intetions. I wasnt going to say or start anything. I just wanted to see the bait. You saw me and you wouldnt make eye contact. I watched as the other guys I mentioned approached your booth and you would not look at them and you left. I am not lumping them in with my opinions. I just noted how you acted at that show. Also Looking back I am not 100% sure if I saw Mickey there or not so I removed his name.

As for your other baits in your "new" line It is hard to tell from the pics as they are all white. It does look like you did not make exact copies of the other baits. I am sure they are similar but the gill and most likely the perch were copied.

As for Rago. I only posted what he told me. I heard a VERY different story then the one you told. If you think Jerry and you are still friends then good for you. I dont talk to him much but my guess is Your opinion of your "friendship" is a lot different then Jerry's

Lastly I have met you several times. At the last Bass a thon you spent about an hour telling me all your "reasons" for not fishing the HBC. After our conversation I came away with the opinion that you felt you had nothing to gain because everybody already thought you were the best and if you didnt win it, it could hurt your image.
Now I state this as my opinion. You never actualy said that, that was just the impression I got.
Do I hate you?? I try not to hate anybody. Its not healthy.
I of cource have my opinion though.
Good luck with you bid for the Hall of fame.

a little of topic.. I believe the Hall of fame still recognizes the Trew bass as the world record :shock:
Last edited by Mattlures on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
premium swimbaits for trophy bass
www.mattlures.com
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Bill, I have one of Matt's, Send me a PM where I can order one of yours to compare.
Last edited by Greg_Cornish on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Scott Shambre

Post by Scott Shambre »

Begger!!!!
Is there a Lost Land of retards????
Brian

Post by Brian »

This is OLD NEWS now, NEXT!!!!!!!!!!
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
g-man

Post by g-man »

this is good stuff! :shock:
100% LL
smpboy

Post by smpboy »

does it have a B on the tail? :lol:
biteme

Post by biteme »

O shiet I need to nuke some popcorn again!
gunnie2

Post by gunnie2 »

How do you know when you have arrived?? When your stuff is so good people begin to copy it...
sTony

Post by sTony »

I may very well be extremely naive but...

doesn't a bluegill, well... look like a bluegill?

I had a manufacturer friend of mine come up to me at an ISE show all upset that another manufacturing friend of ours had copied his crawdad imitating bait. He aid to me, "Tony, it just ain't right when someone steals your stuff. I know this is my crawdad." The sad part was I knew first hand that the guy he was referring to went down to a creek and pulled out a bunch of crawdads, searched out one that he thought best matched the size he wanted to copy and then shoved the crawdad into a mold. TADA!

He certainly 'copied' a crawdad, but not the other guys bait.

I just told my first friend, "Doesn't a crawdad look like a crawdad?" And if both were attempting to duplicate a crawdad and succeeded wouldn't they have a final product that at least looked similar if not exact to each other?

I respect both of you guys way too much to get into this any deeper. At some point it'd sure be nice if most all you swimbait guys could get past the nonsense and learn to respect each other while at the same time just keep your heads down and keep doing what you do. It seems that everyone hates everyone and life's to short for that.

sTony
Mattlures

Post by Mattlures »

s tony I agree with you about the craw dad. Your story only proves my point. like I have said since the beginning. Bills bait is not a copy of a real blue gill. It is a copy of MY carving.
My carving is not even very accurate. Bills bait looks the same as my bait, not the same as a real gill. If you look at all the different bluegill swimbaits on the market, Mine, Castaic,Baitsmith, Ac plugs,storms,etc they all look distinctly different from each other. None are a mold of a real fish(Iknow I am a taxidermist). Each one is that companies interpretation of a gill. Siemantels gill is the only one of those that looks exactly like another product right down to fine details. He knows exactly what he did.
premium swimbaits for trophy bass
www.mattlures.com
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

sTony wrote:I may very well be extremely naive but...

doesn't a bluegill, well... look like a bluegill?
What Mattlures is getting at is: his actual bluegill lure was scanned into a 3-D modeling/prototyping program and used as the basis for Siemental's new lure. He even noted the carving imperfections...
Last edited by fish_food on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
fish_food

Re: My one and only reply Bill Siemantel*NM*

Post by fish_food »

*NM*
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Let me preface my comment with the fact that I have had my problems with Matt. In other concerns I have little respect for him. In this instance I can see his point. This lure is not about being a copy of a fish. This is about a copy of his first edition CARVING. If as he says there are specific indentifiable details within his carving that are not unique to a real fish that are in Bill's bait that is a problem. Unfortunately this is the way of lure making. Most of these baits are made in little shops. Some get popular enough to pique the interest of companys like SPRO or god forbid, Pure Fishing. The bigger company has the money to stomp any legal attacks from the smaller compny so there is little concern for copyright infringement. Now I am not saying that Siemental copied Matt's bait as I am not privy to the details in the two baits. But I can see Matt's point. Comments like " It's just a fish. Get over it" are off base. Maybe the lesson is develop a lure like any other product. Get a bulletproof patent.
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

I have to side with Matt on this one. I agree 100% on the carving issue. When I first saw that bait my stomach sank. I uderstand that fish look like fish but in this scenario,all I can say is wow. The Jerry Rago story Bill told is much different than I have been told by Rago himself. The bbz put Jerry in a very dark place and it took a while for him to bounce back. I think Bill is a great fisherman and has contributed a lot to this sport. But to out and out act like his baits have no similarities is insulting to me. (just my opinion) I understand wanting to put out a quality bait with a price point that the average joe can afford (especially with a quality company like spro). I think this business is very passion driven and feelings get somewhat fragile when original artwork is quote"copied"unquote. I think the swimbait biz needs to stabilize and become more professional. The politics are horrible and egos get in the way of a lot of good things at times. One day hopefully we will see harmony and peaceful co-existence. Peace.
Jeremy
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Copying baits

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Has long been a fact and almost a tradition in lure manufacturing..When the first Big "O" came out there was soon a flood of other very similar "alphabet baits"..Most are still in production..In some cases it is very difficult to tell if what you have is a "Ford F" or a "Chevy C"..The same is true for just about every worm and creature bait that has ever been produced..Swim baits are no different..I assume we all have seen the various "beaver type" baits on the market this year..Now true, for the most part there are subtle differences between the original and the many copies, but it is very obvious where the original idea sprang from..This may well be and probably is exactly what has happened in this example..Even though the original product and this one share many of the exact same characterristics, their actual performances is very different..I fully understand how the originator of the bait feels and can sympathize with his plight..Are the baits exact copies of each other, in the basic form perhaps they are, they seem to be..In their use they are not..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Barry Watson

Post by Barry Watson »

Well heck....I had my REDNECK SWIM BAIT on display at Sportsmans Warehouse Bassapalooza last month. I should have gone to Vegas and see if it was being copied. I guess I will send a picture to G Man so he can distribute to the LL's.

Someone once said, " Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

In my old tackle collection, I have all sorts of examples of lures that have copied one another through the years. Its darn near impossible to do something new, but its fun to try. Alot of the old spinner baits looked so much alike you had to count beads or take measurements to determine a difference. As far as swimbaits, I have examples of big ol trout imitators from the 40's and 50's, including triple jointed ones. Some as long as 12 inches.

Its probably obvious by now that I love this stuff. LOL

When Nick Creme invented the plastic worm, the world changed.
It changed again when the computer aided design/mold system was invented. Whats next? I anxiously await.
Oldlures
Tin Can

Re: Copying baits

Post by Tin Can »

Baits have been copied since the beginning of time! It's kind of funny that it's only really an issue with swimbaits. How many senko type baits are on the market now? I don't see Yamamoto on the site bashing anyone over it. How many brushhog knock off are out there? What about plastic worms? Spinnerbaits? Jigs? How many chatterbaits are on the market now? EVERY BAIT has knock offs, always will. It's just the way it goes.

As a consumer, I like the competition. Keep it up guys! :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

i don't know about you guys but i don't think "imitation is a sincere form of flattery" when someone takes your bait and scans it. would you be flattered if you were to study hard for an exam only to have the person next to you copying your answers?
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

I would think on this level of manufacturing (small potatoes really) the manufacturer would be involved in the design phase, (my opinion) So for giggles, who owns SPRO. As the saying goes, follow the money :shock:

(Quote) I understand wanting to put out a quality bait with a price point that the average joe can afford (especially with a quality company like spro)
TomL

Post by TomL »

There isn't much to add to this conversation with facts and details. I haven't seen the Spro bait myself - so I cannot make an educated statement about it.

On the other hand, I have never heard Matt say one word when many other Bluegills came out after his. Which makes me ask myself - "What makes this the one that gets him to say something about it?"

KEEP THIS IN MIND WHILE YOU ARE SHOPPING
Next - and this is a GENERAL statement not in regards to this issue alone. If we, as anglers, support and buy copied baits then the true innovators of the sport like Black Dog, MattLures and so many more are soon going to stop being innovative because as soon as they come out with something hot they get knocked off and the baits never live up to their true profit potential.
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

TomL wrote:On the other hand, I have never heard Matt say one word when many other Bluegills came out after his. Which makes me ask myself - "What makes this the one that gets him to say something about it?"
This is a very good point and one that I was going to make myself, but Tom beat me to it.
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

I'm pretty sure Basstrix is doing just fine and look how many knock offs there are now. Make a quality bait and you will get the business you deserve. I don't think Huddleston is suffering from lack of sales due to the Bass Harasser or other Knock offs. Again, quility baits sell and anglers are very loyal for the most part.
TomL

Post by TomL »

Maybe suffering wouldn't be the right words to use... but, do you think Huddleston is making what he SHOULD be making from designing that bait? Every Bass Harrasser sold is costing Ken how much in rightfull profit? $10 or more is my guess. Luckily for Ken there hasn't been an 8" swimbait made or copied yet that is as good as his.

Do you think Basstrix is still selling as many as they can make like they were before - I can assure you they are not. If there had not been knockoffs - the Basstrix owner could have retired on that one bait. Instead, he made a decent chunk of money I am sure but, by no means did or will he ever make what he deserves for designing that bait. Every berkley or whatever other copy bait that is sold is taking $$$ right out of the true designers pocket. Basstrix is a little different in that he couldn't meet the demand for his product so anglers needed a way to get that bait and tackle shops needed a way to offer that bait to anglers... which left the door a little more open. Still sucks though!

I am not saying people shouldn't copy - although I am against it in most cases.... but, I am saying "think about it." Wouldn't you be more hesitant to really work on a new design for months or even years if you knew you'd only get 6 months of sales out of it before you had to compete with some GIANT companies?
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

I'm just saying knockoffs are going to happen, it's been happening to other baits since the beginnig. Why does anyone think swimbaits would be different? Historically, every bait made has been knocked off. You have to know it's going to happen before you get into the business. The guys consistantly coming out with something new are the ones who will make it. It's a tough market for sure.

I totally agree with you that it sucks for the guys who work hard to come up with baits only to have some big company come along and mass produce a knock off. It's the nature of business though.
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

Tin Can wrote:I'm just saying knockoffs are going to happen, it's been happening to other baits since the beginnig. Why does anyone think swimbaits would be different?
Your not kidding :shock: Other baits catch other smaller fish with a big one here and there.

Swimbaits catch Huge fish and Huge limits more so then any other bait, when it happens :lol:
You can NOT put swimbaits and jigs,cranks,worms in the same group.
It is what it is....

I am Sorry Matt.

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

bassindon69 wrote:
Tin Can wrote:I'm just saying knockoffs are going to happen, it's been happening to other baits since the beginnig. Why does anyone think swimbaits would be different?
Your not kidding :shock: Other baits catch other smaller fish with a big one here and there.

Swimbaits catch Huge fish and Huge limits more so then any other bait, when it happens :lol:
It is what it is....

I am Sorry Matt.

Don.
You all copied the sassy shad! Take that! :D

Jigs have been catching mosters for ages!
bassinholic

Post by bassinholic »

bassindon69 wrote:

It is what it is....

I am Sorry Matt.

Don.
Don,

When it comes to the making of different swimbaits and how people are trying to get their personal own swimbait out there...yeah I can see Tin Cans point about people knocking off the competition. There are some company's (not gonna mention names) that have smaller versions of what appears or is very similair to the huddleston's, just a tad different.

Personally i feel that with ANY bait you can find twenty different makers that are VERY similair to the original. Look at chatterbaits, after the first year, there was numerous makers making them and just changing the piece of metal.

Like you said it is what it is, and people that are getting their EGOS hurt for a bait that looks similair well obviously doesnt know that this has been going on for years.....I wonder if there was ever this big of a commotion when someone started making rubber worms after the first person made rubber worms.. :?

JMO, but bottom line is Bill has been catching monster fish for years and now that he is getting recognized for his accomplishments, Mattlures wants to slap him in the face..WOW, there is ALWAYS a hater out there to try make someone look bad.

ITS LIKE STONY SAID...GOD FORBID A BLUEGILL BAIT LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER BLUE GILL BAIT..... :roll:
C.T.C.A 4 LIFE!!
bassinholic

Post by bassinholic »

Tin Can wrote:
bassindon69 wrote:

It is what it is....

I am Sorry Matt.

Don.
You all copied the sassy shad! Take that! :D

Jigs have been catching mosters for ages!
Actually swimbaits came from the "BANJO MINNOW"... :shock:
C.T.C.A 4 LIFE!!
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

wrong, swimbaits were around for several years prior to the introduction of the Banjo Minnow..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Brian wrote:GOOD JOB TIN CAN, WAY TO BREAK COPY RIGHT INFRINGEMENT LAWS. :shock:
How is that possible? I totally missed this post earlier, I deleted my post just in case. I copied and pasted a post from another message board. As far as I know that isn't breaking any laws.

Please explain.
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

Tin Can wrote:Jigs have been catching mosters for ages!
Hmmm I fished jigs many more years then I have swimbaits and NEVER even got a little 30 lb bag. I did get one bass over 10 on a jig, it only took 15 years :lol:

Fun stuff Tin :lol: :lol:

These days you can justify ANYTHING it seems.

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Tin Can wrote:
How is that possible? I totally missed this post earlier, I deleted my post just in case. I copied and pasted a post from another message board. As far as I know that isn't breaking any laws.

Please explain.
Its just BS. Don't worry about it.