Luanching at Herman and Hellen's

Sacto John

Luanching at Herman and Hellen's

Post by Sacto John »

I am thinking about launching my boat out at HH marina and was wondering if the ramp is alright to launch from. I have fished the area in my kick boat form the old ferry ramp numerous times but I have not used (nor do I remember) the regular boat ramp there. Also, does anyone know what they charge to use the launch ramp?
tiki_man

Re: Luanching at Herman and Hellen's

Post by tiki_man »

from what i've heard, the ramp is narrow and you have to launch at a right angle. also, the last mile of 8 mile road getting there is really rough. but, the people are really nice there. i just called them last week to ask how much the launch was but i've already forgotten.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

John,

Shouldn't be a problem from your rig, the road is BUMPY and the ramp is steep on a 90 and tight to get into (at least it was in my rig) I think Paradise is a much nicer facility myself and Paradise would get my vote.

I had to go to Herman and Helens to pick up my boat when it went down so I was already in a foul mood at the time

:twisted:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
medfish

Post by medfish »

ramp is almost as rough as the road in. ramp is sharp 90 as mentioned and a 85lb pitbull lives in the trailer right next to it. parking is alot like other slough type ramps a little far away. have to walk my fishing buddy Doogie by the pit. not good..... the road is 25-30 mph for the last 3-4 miles.. I don't go thier any more I will say the people are nice (when you them) idle over and pay walk back and put the ticket in truck.. I think they open around 0800hrs to pay....
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

John, if you launch from Paradise make sure and go past the ramp and back down at a right angle. You'll see what I mean.

I had someone that will remain anonymous, almost pull me all the way to the top of the ramp my first time there, wouldn't of been pretty.

Good luck!
I had to come back...I know...
Steve

Post by Steve »

John, just launch at Kings Island because its free. The ramp is not the best, but neither are your other two choices. You have to approach the ramp at an angle. Since you have a boat the distance between Kings and H&H shouldnt be a factor.
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

Thanks for the replies, I am going to try and launch at Kings.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Steve wrote:John, just launch at Kings Island because its free. The ramp is not the best, but neither are your other two choices
I've always gone out of Paradise Point when fishing that area and never knew King Island had a free launch. How or why is it free--is it some kind of municipal/county/state freebie?
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

I thought King's island has a fee box where you put the money in and then put a hanger on the rear view mirror showing you paid. It is a bit tricky to keep your boat straight on the trailer when you take outm,but I'll launch there sometimes when I want to fish sites close to the launch ramp.
whazup

Post by whazup »

Mark-C wrote:I thought King's island has a fee box where you put the money in and then put a hanger on the rear view mirror showing you paid. It is a bit tricky to keep your boat straight on the trailer when you take outm,but I'll launch there sometimes when I want to fish sites close to the launch ramp.
Agree. The first, and only time, I launched there I had to get into the water to get the boat on straight. Never again. Have never had that problem anywhere else. The ramps crazy angle, combined with wind and tide movement, can be a nightmare.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thats exactly why its free! :P Its not a problem if you take your time
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

The ramp at King island and Herman Helen are not free, Your suppose to pay and attach tag to the window or mirror. It's more of an honor system and one day if you didn't pay you can expect to be block in if they knew you did it before.
I think they charge $10 while over at Paradise on weekdays it's $12 and weekends and holidays it's $15. No free launch out there.
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

King Island absolutely is not free. There is a box with tags right next to the dock. I try to stay close to the dock during low tide as there are rocks on the other side. Your boat kinda goes on at an angle when loading but I've never really had a problem. I just hate making the U-turn. You must be traveling north on the road to launch so you have to go past the ramp, make a U-turn, stop and get your boat ready and then pull up to the ramp to launch. It really isn't too bad though. I'm not a huge fan of Paradise. Too many pleasure boaters and the ramp is very steep. If you have a double axle or boat longer than 19' don't even think about Herman and Helens! The angle is just to tight.

NoCAL
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ok then, its not free. The less people that launch there the better for me. Have fun at Paradise.
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

So I launched at Kings Island, and payed the 8 bucks in the box. It was a hassle to get the boat out and straight, but I did it. I have to get wet regardless with my boat so it was not a big deal. Quite a busy little ramp on a Thursday.