Crazy Trailer Story

bladerunner11

Crazy Trailer Story

Post by bladerunner11 »

Wow kinda crazy story. Im a bay area native that just rented a house out at Discovery Bay. We launched the boat and put the trailer on the street by the house. We went out fishing for the day came back and the trailer was gone. It was towed because it didn't have plates! I bought the boat used and the guy I bought it from never signed the pink slip over so now the towing company wont give it to me cause its not under my name! $150 tow and $60 bucks a day! I'm just cutting it as a loss. Anybody know a good place to buy a used trailer around the delta?
Iafrate94505

Re: Crazy Trailer Story

Post by Iafrate94505 »

dont park yer junk in my hood.

:wink:
bladerunner11

Post by bladerunner11 »

o yeah thanks for the help guy
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

what kind of boat? there are few locals cops on this website, maybe someone will step up and help you out, HOPEFULLY>>>>>

there was a used trailer for sale in the classifieds.

steven
Scott Shambre

Post by Scott Shambre »

Shipwreck Marine off of Folsom Blvd. in Rancho Cordova. A few other Boat idsmantlers in Rancho Cordova as well
Is there a Lost Land of retards????
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

bladerunner11 wrote: I bought it from never signed the pink slip over so now the towing company wont give it to me cause its not under my name! $150 tow and $60 bucks a day! I'm just cutting it as a loss. Anybody know a good place to buy a used trailer around the delta?

Is this BJ's Tow in Antioch ??

.... "IF" It previously had Perma Plates -- There is no pink necessary. Check with the DMV on the status of the trailor via the last owner's name and cross reference it from the CF #'s on your boat if need be.

-- There is the possibillity that the towing company will try to hold you responsible for the charges since you already laid a verbal claim to it.

-- Wait it out if you can .... And offer to buy it from them. (Cash under the table. :wink: )

There has to be more to this story .... Did you tell them that you rent and they can't put a lein on your property since you do not own it ??

Good Luck.
Last edited by DeltaDan on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

boat type? length?
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

Even if it's a permanent registration, like mine, it should have had plates. Seems like somebody screwed up. Check with DMV about its status. You might be better off paying for the towing and storage rather than buying another trailer and paying to register it.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
jack65274

Post by jack65274 »

...$ 60 per day storage?.....Owning a towing business with an impound yard is a license to steal if you ask me.....
davet.

Post by davet. »

I agree. Tow yards are just a legal scam. Like when they tow recovered stolen cars, they hold it hostage til ya pay an inflated bill. Ya get screwed twice.
It's another parasitic business.

$.02
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

A friend had his small truck stolen in Mountain View in the late 70"s, it was found several days later in Palo Alto and towed by one of the local contracted tow companies for the police department..My frien was notified three days after the recovery of them finding it and having it towed..He went to claim it and the tow company wanted a little over $700 for towing and storage..He pretty much told them to shove it as the vehicle wasn't worth that much money..Any way several weeks later he was informed the vehicle was up for sale to cover the lien for towing and storage..Another of his friends went down and bid on it and ended up getting the vehicle for $125 and then promptly resold it to the original owner for the same amount..Now true the guy was short his vehicle for a while, but he didn't pay the robber rates the tow company wanted to get it back..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
bladerunner11

Post by bladerunner11 »

East County Towing is the name of the place. I think because it was on the street and not the drive was free game for them. It's a 17 1/2 ranger.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

bladerunner11 wrote:East County Towing is the name of the place.

They are in cahoots with J&M Enterprises in Bay Point. You will never get that trailor back with out paying an arm and leg. -- And you better do it asap. Pittsburg DMV is open every other Saturday .... Or one Saturday a month. Go on there site to check. www.CA.DMV.GOV

ECT and J&M are already counting your trailor as Scrap Metal in todays market for cash on top of what ECT got from the County for towing your trailor.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

buzzfish

Post by buzzfish »

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you but the tow company isn't to blame. We answer for five tow companies and it is a tough business.

It's true that some of the charges get pretty high for storage but honestly do you know how often these guys get stiffed? If they are taking CHP or police rotation calls (this sounds like one of these) they do not have a choice about doing a tow and they do not get paid by CHP or the police. They get paid by the person who owns the vehicle. Way too often the vehicles are abandoned leaving them with a tow done, a vehicle, and no compensation.

Also, tow companies require proof of ownership before releasing a vehicle to someone to prevent the vehicle from being given to the wrong person. If you had your truck towed I'm sure you would want the tow company to ask for proof of ownership instead of simply giving the vehicle to anyone that asks for it. They usually ask for the vehicle registration as the most reliable means of determining ownership.
davet.

Post by davet. »

The tow companys may not be to blame, but they waste no time taking advantage of the situation and sticking it right in yer arse.
And I dont see how they could get "stuck" with a tow. You pay em or they sell yer vehicle. It's a win win either way, and with steel going for over $300 a ton, they can't lose. So, I'm not buying "the poor tow company" story.
And I wondered why the cops can't just call the owner when they find a stolen car. I've heard over and over the victims saying they were just a phone call away and could have recovered the car themselves. It's a scam, no other way to cut it.
PF3352

Post by PF3352 »

Funny you say "why cant the cops just call"? I have recovered so many stolen cars and I always call the owner. I have heard every story in the books of why the owner cant come pick it up at that minute. I have been told "just leave it there, I will get it later". WRONG I have to have you sign for it. Most people (NOT FISHERMAN) try every option in the book before they finally get up and come out there. It is more then common for the person to just tell you to have it towed and they will pick it up in the morning. Sorry little rant there. I feel sorry for your tow problem. I agree that you should have been to DMV the next day and got this thing ironed out. I know the fees are HUGE, which I don't feel is right. I do feel you could have gotten your papers together and had the trailer back by now. Good luck

Paul Fontaine
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

This is mostly Iafrate94505's fault ....... He is a "little" anal at times. :roll:

Blade Runner 11

Post by Blade Runner 11 »

The guy with the pinks slip is long gone. Live and learn. The fee is at 300 today. We called Shipwreck Marine and they said they have used ones for not much more than that. Not a bad deal for the towing company, take 20 mins out of their day and they get a free trailer!
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

Blade Runner 11 wrote:The guy with the pinks slip is long gone. Live and learn. The fee is at 300 today. We called Shipwreck Marine and they said they have used ones for not much more than that. Not a bad deal for the towing company, take 20 mins out of their day and they get a free trailer!

are you getting a rainger trailor from ship wreck..... I work 3 minutes from them so If you want me to go look at a couple for you I would be happy to..... PM me if you want....
rexford

Post by rexford »

Be careful here. I do not think giving up on the trailer releases your from
responsibility. Especially if you have called in on it. They might decide
they do not want to keep it and rather take you to court. I had MT View
towing come after me for a car I sold 3 years prior. They can get really
nasty.
jack65274

Post by jack65274 »

I live in Southern California. My girlfriends son has his car stolen about a year ago. A week of so later the local Sheriff called us to say the vehicle had been in an accident and the thieves apprehended. She went to site of the accident nearby, the car was totaled, and was about to be towed. We have AAA and told the deputy on site that we would just tow it ourselves because we didnt want to be responsible for the towing/storage fees. He clearly told her that since it was stolen we would not be held responsible for those fees and to just let the towing company handle it ...so we did. Sure enough a week or two later, after the storage fees had reached a hefty amount, the tow company called us and started chasing us for the money due. We told them to shove it and they eventually turned it over to a collectioin company who harassed us for awhile. Not sure what the eventual outcome was or will be. Probably a hit on her credit.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

bladerunner11 wrote:East County Towing is the name of the place. I think because it was on the street and not the drive was free game for them. It's a 17 1/2 ranger.
Free game for who? Who do you think reported it or do towing companies drive around and look for vehicles/trailers with no plates on them and then tow them without the law being involved?

You might have trouble finding a trailer for a bass boat. I would keep check on the S.F. and the Sacramento Craigslist.

Trailers aren't titled anymore so I guess you would need the registration to show proof of ownership.
BMX Bassin

Post by BMX Bassin »

I bought a used trailer for my wakeboard boat after mine rusted out from using it in my local brackish river for several years. Here is a link to the single axle trailers they have.
http://www.boatrecycling.com/boats/show/trailers/
bladerunner11

Post by bladerunner11 »

still free game to them
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

A friend of mine lent his work truck to an employee never thinking he might no have a license. He was picked up. The tower had the right to impound for 30 days. He wanted $800 and the truck was worth $600.

They argued. They impounder had a heart attack and died on the spot. The manager settled for $300 later.

I'd hold out.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
buzzfish

Post by buzzfish »

I don't want to hijack this thread but tow companies do get stuck and it is not always a win win. If they are doing rotation calls (most do) they have to take them or be dropped from the rotation list. That is for ANY vehicle they are called for whether it is condition to be sold or not. So for example the junker that breaks down on the side of the freeway gets towed after being tagged by the CHP and then sits in the storage lot forever.

I wasn't trying to say "oh poor tow company" so sorry if the post came off like that. I was mainly intended to point out that they run a business, have costs like any other business, and charge what they feel the market will bear. The other point I was making was that it is unrealistic to expect a tow company to released a vehicle without some proof of ownership.

Businesses are business and exist to make a profit for the owner or shareholders. You might just as well start squealing about what some manufacturers charge for their baits or tackle.

If you don't want to deal with tow companies then register your vehicle properly, don't park in places that are marked as a tow away zone, and don't drive drunk. All of these will get you towed and your vehicle put in storage.
davet.

Post by davet. »

I agree with most of your statement, but some of their methods are obviously dirty.
Otherwise they would'nt need that 3 inches of bullet-proof glass at the customer service window.
sker13

Post by sker13 »

I am sorry in advance for the rant. That is just BS...Everyone is required to have insurance...Insurance company or the Body shop they have representing them pay the advance fees 90% of the time when a vehicle is in a collision...The vehicle is then taken to salvage auction if it is deemed to be a total loss. Lien holders (the bank that holds the note) will also pay if the registered owner can't or won't. All the while the meter is runnin'. I run a Collision repair shop and have a tow service (for my customers only) so I think I know what I am talking about. I pick up vehicles regulary from rip off yards. They make more off of doing one tow and the vehicle setting there for a week than I make off of the entire repair sometimes. Not all companies are the same. Some will file a lien as soon as possible just to add more cost and hoping to gain ownership of the vehicle. Tow Co's don't get screwed they do the screwin'. And you can thank them for contributing to your high cost of insurance everytime you pay for it. I charge storage too but it is 30.00 not 60.00. And I often waive or negotiate it down and I have liened 2 cars in the last six years because of unreasonable idiots. Tow Co.'s have a choice but many will extort as much cash as possible or own your property for the cost of a tow botom line. To them it is not how much do I need to make a reasonable profit. It is how much can I make off of other peoples misfortune. Sorry again for the rant. If you opperate a fair and reasonable Tow Service accept my apology but you know who I am talking about!
buzzfish

Post by buzzfish »

I bow to your superior first hand knowledge. I just answer for several and know a couple of the owners pretty well. And like most business people we talk about the goods and bads of our businesses. Posting what I have been told (and believe).
sker13

Post by sker13 »

Like I said sorry for the rant. I just paid 1200.00 of working capitol to a tow yard that I wont see for about 30 days and I doubt there will be 1200.00 in profit. I am sure none of your Tow Co. buddies live in the hills of Aptos. I am sure they never screw the tourist who park in the wrong spot by the board walk. And I am sure they charge perfectly reasonable rates to the tourist that break down on the 1 or 101 or 16 or wherever. :roll: my point is CHP junker calls are a very small percentage and they still make money don't let them fool ya! What about the police holds? Automatic 30 days storage plus the tow!:wink: I am done! Sorry if I offended you! My highjack is over and out!
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Well not sure I'm glad I read this or not, but I'm going to respond.

If you have the time wait out the tow company. There is no way on earth they will get anything for that trailer, if it even goes up for auction. Mac's advice was the best I read.

Rexford, I was a loyal and faithful employee of Mtn. View Towing for 12 years. I can bore you or anyone else with what it cost to run a tow company. Chasing down money owed from abandoned vehicles became necessary back when scrap was around $25 a ton. If you sell a vehicle make sure and complete ALL the paper work to escape any liability. Also remember that Law Enforcement had your vehicle towed away. Tow companies can't go cruising and kidnap anything.

I'm now part of a collision center, and am really surprised to read some of sker 13's comments. After you're bludgeoned by an insurance company and they tell you what they will pay for a job, you can make such comments? Also vehicles that are held for 30 days usually because of suspended licences. The CHP made that decision, not the tow company. Is your business a charity?

Try to remember there are always two sides to every story.
sker13

Post by sker13 »

Mike, you made some valid points. Sometimes I feel like it is a charity. Maybe I read this post at the wrong time, having just forked out that kind of dough. I am all for free enterprise but making more off of the vehicle sitting there than the service provided has never set well with me. There are two sides to every story I will give you that. I tried to limit my rant to a one kind of tow service. Maybe my frustration is mis-directed. After all it is not the tow companies fault I won't be reinbursed until the repair is complete. I need to go fishing and forget about work. As you know the collision buisness is suffering like almost everything else right now. Don't even get me started on insurance companies. Tight Lines, Sterling
buzzfish

Post by buzzfish »

You didn't offend me at all. You have first hand knowledge and experience on the topic. Pretty hard to argue with.

I work with a lot of different types of businesses and a few are tow companies. IMO you guys work hard for your bucks often in dangerous situations so I think tow companies generally earn what they charge. As in many trades unsrupulous business people can give you a bad name just by being in the same business. It happens in my line of work too; someone has a bad experience with an answering service and therefore all services suck.

Anyway, back to fishing. I *really* need to get on the water!
Trace

Post by Trace »

I have a Champion trailer for sale if interested.
Tracy (209) 986-1524
It should also be in the classifieds.
Romeo D

Post by Romeo D »

lessons here?
1. Don't park a trailer on the street without a license plate .
2. When you buy a boat, get your paperwork in order, get all transfer of ownership filed yourself.
3. Have all your paperwork with you when you are traveling, so if it does get towed, you have it all there and can go claim it as quickly as possible and avoid growing fees

Sorry about the situation. Hope it works out for you...