On board charger problems?

Turkeyman

On board charger problems?

Post by Turkeyman »

I'm having an issue with my on-board charger. One battery doesn't seem to charge all the way and we end up losing power to the trolling motor with heavy use. There is a burnt fuse in the charger lead going to this battery, it has heated up to the point that it has fried the fuse holder. It is a Pro-Mariner 300 Quad for a 36 volt systems. It also doesn't seem to startup in the fast charge mode when I plug it in from returning from the lake. The charger is still under warranty. Any suggestions?
Grape Ape

Re: On board charger problems?

Post by Grape Ape »

I'm no electrician but If it were my guess....your battery maybe the problem. I had a similiar issue a few years ago and it turn out that the battery was "shorting" out. I'd have your batteries tested before you do anything drastic.
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

I have went through 3 batteries in 10 months, it is always the same battery.
Ron C

Post by Ron C »

I recommend replacing the bad battery and also recommend replacing your on-board charger with a ProPak-3 (or ProPak-4 depending on how many batteries you have on-board). ProPak chargers are the most efficient on-board chargers out there.

Here is their website: http://www.propakcharger.com/

Ron C
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

First off, check to make sure the battery is filled sufficiently! Beyond that, without knowing which of the three batteries is being affected (i.e., first - second - third in series), yet knowing it is always the same battery and that the fuse holder to this battery has been cooked, I would first suggest that you inspect/replace the wire, connectors/terminals and fuse holder, plus the wire/connector/terminal up to whatever is on the other end of that wire (i.e., the next battery, the connector on the bow, etc.) and the ground wires/connector/terminal(s) as well. Once a connector or wire gets overheated it oxidizes, which in turn creates more resistance which in turn creates more heat, which causes more oxidation and on and on. That added resistance will not only suck more juice from your battery, it will also restrict or decrease the charge current into the battery.

You could also try moving the charger leads form the "problem" battery to another battery in the circuit - that would demonstrate if the problem was in the charger or in the battery/wiring. If the "new" battery is not charging completely and exibiting the same symptoms then it is likely the charger. If the "same old" battery is still the problem then the problem is with the battery or wiring/connections
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Is your charger a 15 amp or 10amp? Most battery companies recommend a 10 they say the 15 charges to quick and will ruin the batteries.
It sounds like your are getting feed back or resistance on the one battery bank. Call the Manufacture and have them trouble shoot it over the phone or replace it, If it is still under warranty why mess with it.
If you don't get any satisfaction replace it with a Dual Pro they are rated the best unit on the market, well above Propac and the others.
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/468x60/hookadban.gif[/img]