What does anybody know about the vortex?

The Lone Angler

What does anybody know about the vortex?

Post by The Lone Angler »

A buddy of mine used one last year and said it was dynamite. By the time I went with him, it had broken down.

Question: Does it require 2 seperate spinning wing decoys(not included) to operate?.

It it worth the money?

Which species of ducks responds the best to it?

Thanks,

Phil Thunen
Nacho libre

Re: What does anybody know about the vortex?

Post by Nacho libre »

I've been using a vortex for 4 years now. It's hard for me to tell if it is pulling more Ducks or not, but the guys in the blinds around me who have a different view, tell me it sucks em in. As a matter of fact, the guy in the blind next to me said if I’m running it, he doesn't even start hunting until I've finished. I use it with a couple of those fixed wing flying decoys before the motorized spinning wing decoys are allowed, and two mojo ducks after. Windux work as well, but my interpretation of the law would mean that you can't use those until motoducks are allowed. It does have some problems when the wind gets above 20 mph. the decoys start to swing wildly and the wings will bang into the metal rods. It has been fun to mess around with but I'm not going to use it this year, as I don't want to hear any more whining about it.
FIT

Post by FIT »

what is a vortex, i have never seen that one, i have a mojo that i have been using since last year and i like it.

FIT
The Lone Angler

Post by The Lone Angler »

The vortex, I believe is a metal, battery operated contraption that spins and gyrates several spinning wing duck decoys around in some sort of fashion. It is supposed to simulate birds funneling into your spread. I've heard good things about them, though my friend's broke last year so I didn't get to see it work or not.

Phil
Nacho libre

Post by Nacho libre »

I think they still have a video of one on the Cabelas web site. Just do a search for "Vortex"
FIT

Post by FIT »

looks cool but it might be a bit pricy
davedave620

Post by davedave620 »

I use a very secret weapon..ill let you guys in on it...you can use it all year, it's easy to carry, no spinning wings or anything, but when you learn how to use it it brings in the ducks every time!!

what is it?

an Original RNT single reed duck call!
scott h

Post by scott h »

They are good and the teal just dive bomb em! the whole key to keeping it working and not breaking down is using the proper t-stake. I use the heavy gauge version,the lighter thinner version bends and is to flexible. also use three wood garden stakes to give more stability. if it is moving to much it will fry the gears in the motor.Also I use win-ducks instead of moto type ducks, the lighter the better,less strain on the motor. I save the moto ducks to place through out the spread. I believe they pull birds effectively. but there are days when it is better to shut it off,You just have to watch how the birds react. I use them on the refuges and have had guys literally pick up and leave because they could not get any birds to work their spread and also have had ducks lock up and drop in from 300 yards out and strait in dangling mode. It is well worth the money but I must warn you it is grueling work to lug em around on public land.If you are in a club type situation it is much easier to deal with.I have had mine for 4 years now and still operates just fine but I did burn up my first one after three trips, they are very sensitive to balance. It has to be as solid as you can make it to operate properly. Good luck .
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(