oppinion of the 395v ranger.

aNNieNsaLTIE

oppinion of the 395v ranger.

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

Anyone own one? how do they fish and ride? does it take on clear lake and the delta's nasty attitude when needs to?

Thanks,
Steven
Guy Kelley

Re: oppinion of the 395v ranger.

Post by Guy Kelley »

I have been running a Ranger 394/1994 with a Merc EFI 200 since 1999. The boat came with a new blue printed bottom and a host of other features not normally found on that model boat. She started her life as Larry Hemphelds guide boat in Clear Lake.

To answer your question. before I purchased "The Blue By You" I test drove many different makes and models of Bass Boats. Triton, Skeeter,Ranger 400's and Champions.

IMHO. For the money the ranger I bought was the best made period.

Maybe it was the blue printed bottom. But the boat far exceeds my capabilities to drive her in performance and abilities to handle the Delta and Clear Lake. She has been in 40 mph + winds with 5 foot rollers in C/L as well as nasty stuff in the Delta and never failed us to get us home safe and sound, but wet on occasion. I dont plan on buying another boat and she has been completly restored with new carpet and seats as well as constant up grades and maintenance. When the EFI goes I will replace it with a new model Merc and just keep on going.
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

thank-you guy!
barse41

Post by barse41 »

iv got a 390v its an 86. and everyone who has ridden with me is blown away by how smooth a 22 year boat is. it dosent have as deep of storage as the the newer boats boats. but those rangers ride and fish just as nice as some of theses newer boats
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

thank-you barse,

I seen a older 395 listed. I know it's upgrade for me, But as the boat the boat i want to invest in for my future, i got to see.

i will be checking it out tommrow and hopefully it is everything i want. it has a older 220 yamaha which i think is extinct. I sure do not want a bad deal.

I do want to avoid spending 15k on a new motor if this yamaha fails me. i'll see.

Steven
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

Would not do any harm to have it checked out at the local marine service place. Older engine means older harder to obtain parts etc.

One of the reasons I bought mine was the engine only had 10 hrs on new top end , not rebuild and one year old lower unit.

Plus the seller had all the service receipts since it was first put into service !!!!

True I baby her and treat her better than my wife :lol:
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

hey guy,

I saw the boat today. it looks ok. the original fuel cel is under the seat but someone added another in the transome area on the passenger side.looks to be a extra 17 gallons or so. factory it already has a 35 gal. tank.

It is powered by a 220 yamaha. i do not know the year. it had a high performance prop, 3 blade. i do not know if this prop is best suited for this boat. i asked the owner what the top speed was but he wasn't sure. he only cruised it at 40- 45.

the trailer brakes are disconnected from being used. the fluid in the hydrolics are drained as well.

transom feels strong i tapped all around it. the inside looks good to.

as far as older rangers being known for a lead sled, i think this boat could be a just that. is this a fast boat or can it?

i asked the guy if i could actually run it a lake or the delta. he said no. looks like the motor has a bad hose or some thing. little oil in the motor.

If the guy actually let me run it i am sure i would be willing to take it off his hands.

any opinions on this boat. i need some.

Steven
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

First off, I would be suspicious that he won't let you run it. Something wrong with that motor? Why the extra tank? 17 gallons of gas on the port side would make it ride and handle strange.

Keep looking, man. In this present economy you can find something better.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
Norv

Post by Norv »

I agree with Smile_n_Jack in regards to being cautious about buying a used boat where the seller won't let you start the engine. Based on your visual inspection showing disconnected hoses, other systems being drained and missing hoses. There could be a lot of problems or at least work that needs to be done. Perhaps you can take it to a marine dealer for an evaluation and estimate of value. If the hull is solid and you have the capability to do whatever work is needed then if the price is right it might be something to consider. Otherwise as Smile_n_Jack said there are lots of other boats on the market to choose from.

Good luck in your search.
Norval Chan

ESOX Rods
Put a Sock on It
Xtreme Reel+
Peregrine 250
Water Dog
Eagle Eye
California Community Credit Union
Phil

Post by Phil »

+3 HOOK IT UP AND TAKE IT TO A REPUTABLE SHOP. LET THEM TELL YOU THE REAL STORY. OR WLAK ON BY AND KEEP LOOKING !!

JIGS
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

aNNieNsaLTIE wrote: I
i asked the guy if i could actually run it a lake or the delta. he said no. looks like the motor has a bad hose or some thing. little oil in the motor.

Steven
I"ve been in the market for a boat as welll. I ask the same question could we run it up at Lake Sonoma since I live near by, the owner said no, and I kept walking too. If they won't run it, you run the other way.

Jerry
Show me the water and I will fish.
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

thanks guys!

I am going to keep walking and look around.

Steven
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

Dteve

I think i would pass on this one, too many red flags. Also depends on your budget $

question you need to ask your self, if motor goes can you afford $5000 to $10000 repair bill :shock: :?:

if ya can why don't you add that to purchase price of this boat and see what else is out there :?:
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

+1 - maybe even 2

First off, let me say this - the older Rangers ride very nicely! Jason has an '86 395 that rides better than alot of current boats.

However when looking at an older boat, consider yourself as buying only the hull and the trailer because those are the only two things that will likely be useable after a couple years without sinking some money into it (Just ask him...)!

In ANY case, if the owner is not willing to let you run it, tell him you'll make an offer based on the value of the hull and the trailer because that's all it'll be worth! Then do yourself a big favor and walk away quickly! :wink:
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

If I could put a 225 on my 394 she would probably top out way over 70 mph + but is only rated at 200 Hp.

I run a 200 hp efi merc with a 24 pitch 3 blade prop now with a 6" jack plate and have had her to 70 gps on the delta only once in perfect conditions.

BUT her sweet spot is around 4000 to 4500 rps and that is were she seems to be most happy. I trim her to about 20 psi or so and she just purrs.

Like I said she is and exception one of a kind 395, that took me a long time to find.

In my HOP the 394/5 Rangers were one of the best in the Ranger Line ever built. That is why so many are still running strong today !

Ya ever what a ride just pm me here and we will fish the Delta for a Day and you can Drive
8)
Roger Saraiba

Post by Roger Saraiba »

Go to any large tournament at look at the older boats. You will see so many more Rangers than any other brand, thattells me something. Call Scott Green at Marine Unlimited, I think they have one at the shop. 707 585-9717
www.marineunlimited.net
www.rangerboats.com
www.bassanglersguide.com
www.dobynsrods.com
www.jigmonster.com
www.monsterfishingtackle.com