Jigs for Anderson, Calero, or Coyote?

PapaJohn454

Jigs for Anderson, Calero, or Coyote?

Post by PapaJohn454 »

Greetings,

Living in Monterey these are my stomping grounds. Do OK on Roboworms and Senkos, but have never been able to get any kind of a jig bite going. Would be interested in learning what jig sizes, colors and trailers folks have had success with on these lakes. Trying to step up from the <2#'s I only seem to catch.

Thanks!
PapaJohn
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, Jesus, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Norv

Re: Jigs for Anderson, Calero, or Coyote?

Post by Norv »

I think that Mark Inman of Lefty's Lures would probably have some ideas for you. He will probably need some information on the lakes i.e. the primary species of bass, structure, depth, time of year you are talking about, your preferred equipment etc.
Norval Chan

ESOX Rods
Put a Sock on It
Xtreme Reel+
Peregrine 250
Water Dog
Eagle Eye
California Community Credit Union
tracker31

Post by tracker31 »

i fish anderson almost weekly and coyote when there is actually a bite, but have never really found a good bite on jigs. This past weekend i lost what seemed to be a 4-6lb fish at anderson (which would have been my biggest for there), on a 10" green pumpkin power worm. along with the nice fish i lost, i had about 10 other subtle hits in which i both landed and lost a few fish. try a 1/4oz weighted jighead hook. i hope this will get you a little headstart on catching a nice one.
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

tracker31 wrote:i fish anderson almost weekly and coyote when there is actually a bite, but have never really found a good bite on jigs.
Same for me. Can't get a jig bite going at all. Plastics are doing good, Jigs not so much.
RC

Post by RC »

At Calero in the winter months I've had success with a 3/8 oz black and blue jig, yamamoto twin tail trailor in blue. Its been a few years though since ive fished there, but slow and deep (15-25ft) was the key then.

Hope that helps.

Ryan
NelsonG

Post by NelsonG »

Hey Papajohn!
Good to hear you are still gettin' out to fish.
I have used Hula grubs of various colors with football jig heads.
Give me a call and stop by the shop and I will set you up!
Good fishin!
Nelson
Make every day a good day!
David Rogers

Post by David Rogers »

Hey Papajohn454,

Back when I used to fish it all the time Yamamoto Hulla grubs Watermellon W/Black or Black and Red flake on a football head would kill them this time of year, Don't forget your garlic or anise/crawfish smelly jelly!!! my personal best for 10 years was 7.3 and I got it on this set up at Calero, I have broke that personal best about 10 times in the last 2 years at Clear Lake though, 11.3 lbs is my PB now :twisted: OK, now up to date, my buddy and I went to Calero last Saturday to test out his Ranger he just bought, we took a few rods with us but the thing we wanted to do most was make sure his boat was ready for a tourney he has coming up, after the boat was given the thumbs up we started fishing, in about 25 minutes we had 6 fish to about 1.2 lbs on drop shot, I said OK thats enouph of that and I had a black/blue medium size creature bait tied on with a spot remover jig, I smelly jellied her up and tossed her out at a fish that broke water a few seconds later and tap tap and set the hook and landed a 4.11 lb :twisted: I will post the picture tonight, I have not had time to do it this week yet.
So like a guy mentioned above, black/blue will work but I think that is the #1 go to color on all brackish lakes from NY to Cali.

Good luck and have a ball!!
David 371V Rogers
crawdaddy

Post by crawdaddy »

Brown pumpkin Yammie hula grup on a 3/8-1/2 oz. lead head exposed hook jig. My recommendation would be to fish all the points. Cast to the point and use your TM to drag that jig out to about 35ft right now. They will thump it good. Never hurts to use your favorite scent. Of all the places I fish scent seems to matter most on this lake.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
big_limits

Post by big_limits »

Fishing Anderson I've found the cheap Bass patrol football jigs in brown when the water is stained to clear, and black when the water is muddied up a bit more do pretty well. I always use a smallie beaver as the trailer and add the pepper jig rattles to them. I haven't thrown a jig much at coyote, just swimbaits, senkos, a bit of dropshot, and cranks (except 4 this year). I just went to Calero on Sunday and the frog bite was awesome. Fished one weed mat for about 2hrs and my wrist still hurts from settn' and rippn' them out.
procraftrob

Post by procraftrob »

I too was at callero on sunday I only had one frog fish but I didnt throw it very much, however we did catch a 8 pounder on a brown and purple 1/2 ounce bass patrol jig, I usually pair that with a cinnamion purple yamamoto twin tail which usally does very well on calero and anderson, but sunday I was throwin the new strikeking rage tail trailer in watermelon green. We had a real good day out there so good I went monday too the bite was slow in the morning and picked up as the day went on. We ended up with 15 or so fish the best weighing 3lbs.
PapaJohn454

Post by PapaJohn454 »

Thanks everyone for all the great tips!!!
I will be trying them all out in the coming weeks and report back my results to this thread.
PapaJohn
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, Jesus, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Do you have a website Mark? I've been wanting to try some of your jigs for a while now.
Norv

Re: Jigs for Anderson, Calero, or Coyote?*NM*

Post by Norv »

Nelson,

You should talk to Mark Inman about stocking some of his Puffball jigs at your shop.
Norval Chan

ESOX Rods
Put a Sock on It
Xtreme Reel+
Peregrine 250
Water Dog
Eagle Eye
California Community Credit Union
PapaJohn454

Post by PapaJohn454 »

Greetings,

Based on all the great tips here are the jigs I threw at Coyote reservoir last Sunday:

<p>The winner (determined since it was the only nice fish I caught all day!) was the Skinny Bear puff jig in black and blue with a Conquistador micro trailer in blue gill:

<br>Image

This combo, black and blue was suggested by several of you. This specific jig and trailer combo was recommended by Alex M. in the thread "Best Fall Jig Colors".

Thanks again for all the tips. Will try them again next weekend at Calero
PapaJohn
mvanguilder

Post by mvanguilder »

If you guys like the brown and purple colors, then check out the new purple hornet from Berserk baits. Bait Barn carries them, C&C marine, Escalon Bait, Snelling 76, or online at www.berserkbaits.com. Manny at the Bait Barn will mail them to you the next day if you order them online through him. These were a motherlode secret. Some 13+lbers were caught at Pedro last year and this color also won some of the 100% tourneys last year as well. Mike

www.baitbarn.net
www.berserkbaits.com