Day 2 weigh in

some guy

Day 2 weigh in

Post by some guy »

anyone else notice the scales seem to be off by a great deal? I know my bag was alot bigger then what my official weight standed as. I am extremely upset.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
DL

Re: Day 2 weigh in

Post by DL »

It's Ponting's fault, you should've asked for a re-weigh :lol:
"Feel the steel"
palmdale-shane

Post by palmdale-shane »

Yeah my bag was 8 pounds short each day :cry: ......I was upset.

-Shane
some guy

Post by some guy »

I heard of anglers who made a bigger deal about it then i did and requested re weighs on a seperate scale and they found a 3lb difference!!!! 3 FREAKING POUNDS!!!! on a desert lake is gigantic. You take a week off work , pay for gas, food, hotels to fish the biggest event of the year for some to find out the scales were not correct. That is totally unacceptable. I am 100 percent certain my day two bag was bigger then day 1.. we had 11.72... second day the said 9.62. I laughed and said you got to be kidding me? They then looked at me like I was causing them problems so i left.. ( very dumb on my part ) I want to know what is going to be done to all the teams that were as unfortunate as i was.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
some guy

Post by some guy »

Lesson learned the hard way... never trust a tournament scale and i guess you have to fly off the handle to get something corrected.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
DL

Post by DL »

That can't be good. Where was the other scale??
"Feel the steel"
some guy

Post by some guy »

they had another one in the weigh in trailer... im beyond pissed.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
DL

Post by DL »

for the love of god. Two scales?? I can understand a backup in case of a broken scale. But to do a re-weigh on a different scale? This is getting better and better...what else went on out there?

I hope they didnt try to correct the problem and switch scales mid stream.
"Feel the steel"
some guy

Post by some guy »

I along with many others got screwed.. unfortunately i didnt make a big enough deal about it. I was pretty laid back about it and nice guys finish last.. never again will i be so laid back.

It was MY FAULT big time.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

That sucks. I know it is a moot point now but how much weight do you think you had.
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Back when I was a weigh master I kept a calibrated weight handy. I ALWAYS kept that weight on the scale inbetween anglers for my own piece of mind. We had battery problems once in a while and I would have to reboot the thing but I always made sure that the scales read the same with my weight. Two scales is an invitation to disaster. I feel for ya guy...I should have yelled longer and harder at a weigh in once but my fish would have been dead by the time it was rectified. I told that TD what I thought of the process and...whatta ya know :shock: I don't fish that circuit anymore. After the fact it's just to late to bring anything up.

Rip
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
some guy

Post by some guy »

buddy, according to my scale i had a little over 12 1/2off. Its too late now for anything to be done, i was just wondering if i was the only one.

on a side note, before i head home for the day and can't defend myself on here. Im not bashing NBW nor am I the Peterson's. They are awesome and break their backs for us. I just was a victim of my own negligence.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Is shadow boy is at it again? :shock: Sorry to hear your story John. I remember something happening like that to me once. :wink: I can't remember where or when but somethings just happen and you need to act on your gut feelings sometimes. Maybe a rule change is needed but you'll have to get the right people involved for that to happen. :twisted:
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
some guy

Post by some guy »

hahaha you guys crack me up, especially you Guy. All I wanted to know was if anyone else noticed anything, the only thing i got out of it was people trying to take cheap shots at TD's and Org's. I am sorry i even brought it up, it has probably caused non-needed headaches for the Peterson's.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
GaryKey

Post by GaryKey »

I've been beating myself up all weekend over this. I blame myself more than anything because my partner asked me to re-weigh and I was just froze and uncertain what to do. I hope this doesn't come across wrong...here goes.

We had 13-14lbs on the final day. We are both pretty good judges of fish and we knew we were over 13lbs so I am certain that our weight was somewhere between 13-14. The scales however had our fish at 11-something. I knew the scales couldn't be right, but with 20 guys standing behind me in line in 110 degree heat waiting to weigh their fish...and water already back in my bag for the trip to the release boat I was somewhat handicapped/froze. The ability to reconcile their scale with my mind vanished and I was more in shock than anything. My partner wanted to make them zero out their scales and ask for a re-weigh, but by then it seemed already too late in my frozen state. So I caved and took them to the release boat in somewhat of a confused state. And that was that. Then I found out that after we weighed in, another angler did ask for a re-weigh. They had 13.73lbs according to their cul-em-rite which is normally very close to actual weight. When they put their fish on the scales the scales read 11-something. They asked to have the scales zero'd and re-weigh and the second time they weighed 10-something. After that, they got the back-up scales out and the back up scales registered their fish at 13.74. So the back-up scales were pretty much spot on with what their cul-em-rite read.

I also heard of a couple anglers talking about how their weight was a couple of pounds heavier than what they thought and they were shocked. So some bags weighed too heavy...some too light. Obviously this was not intentional on any one's part, so with that being said I think NBW ran a great show.

I should have listened to my partner and asked for a re-weigh. It likely would have changed our 30th place finish to a top 15 or higher...and we would have cashed a check. In the grand scheme of things the money's not really a big issue...wasn't like we lost thousands..and we certainly didn't have winning fish...but I feel just horrible that I didn't ask for a re-weigh and the gas money would have come in handy.

I've learned a lesson in this. Have the nerve to stand up and challenge when I think the scales are off... and weigh all my fish with a cul-em-rite so before I get to the scales I have a ballpark idea of where I should be at.

My bad, and I apologize to my partner for not listening to him when he asked me to have them re-weighed.
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

See John, I knew you were a trouble maker.JK :lol: Oh well, I guess you can write it up as a learning experience.
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
Rick G

Is there ever scale drama at FLW-NG?

Post by Rick G »

Or do they just invest in better scales? Just seems to me the Team/Pro-AM org;s always seem to have weigh-in issues at times and the bigger events don't or are never talked about. Just asking as I have never been to a NG weigh-in but have been to FLW Tour and Bassmasters weigh-ins and there never any questions. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
mark poulson

Re: Is there ever scale drama at FLW-NG?

Post by mark poulson »

I'm the weighmaster for Mike Iljin's AC Castaic trail.
Mike has a digital scale that he checks before each tourney, and sends back in to be recalibrated from time to time.
We use a plastic basket, weighbag, and plastic cover, and I turn the scale off and on again between each bag, so that the scale is zeroed with the actual bag I'm going to use to weigh the next batch of fish.
It's so routine now, that it goes like clockwork.
And one of the anglers from each team is usually right there watching, so they have a chance to see if something isn't right.
Plus Iljin encourages anyone who wants to have a reweigh, as long as they are still at the scale.
One of the reasons we ask everyone to mark their own big fish is so they are happy with the choice.
I've even, when asked, put a second bass that looked bigger into the bag with the first, which was thought to be the biggest, and deducted the first big fish's weight from the two fish total, just to be sure the team made the right choice.
Having said all that, stuff happens.
We're only human. That's why we encourage everyone to watch, and voice their concerns without worrying about holding up the line.
It makes no difference to the tournament staff how much the fish weigh, but having anglers who are happy with the tournament, and with the weighin process, is most important.
I'm sure that goes for Lynne Peterson, and all the other tournament directors.
Happy anglers come back, and make a trail a success.
It's that simple.
I will speak to Iljin about mentioning the weighin process in the prelaunch meetings, so no one is in doubt about what their options are. As if the meetings aren't long enough already! :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
mike goodwin

Re: Is there ever scale drama at FLW-NG?

Post by mike goodwin »

First of all, thank you to Lynn and Mike Peterson for a great
championship. You and your staff worked very hard through
this heat and all, thats why your number 1 in most of our minds.

Let me say this in advance, this is NOT BASHING ANYONE.

Here's how it all went down in my book.

I always use my cull-m-rite as a gauge, if nothing else to know
about where we stand at anytime we catch a bass. Math was
1 subject I liked in school, sorry. We had 13.73 on our scale, so
we figured maybe 14 on the tourn. scale. Clint handed our bag
to the weighmaster. He weighed our big bass in at 2.88 and I
said that was wrong. He then weighed or bag in at 12.plus
I again said thats wrong. Weighmaster gave the bag to Clint, I
was upset. Weighmaster asked if I wanted a reweigh and I said
hell yes. Weighed our bag the second time and it weighed
10.35. Team NO BS was really po'ed now. Weighmaster acted
like we took his lunch money or som-em. Pissed him off I guess.
Oh well. I think Lynn told him to change batteries or scale, not
sure what was changed. Reweighed a third time and guess what,
big bass was 3.17 and bag was 13.74, just like our cull-m-rite.

Sorry if I upset anyone behind us waiting in line which I dought.

Guys/Gals we all invest to much time and MONEY in our great
sport to JUST ACCEPT and not question if there's any dought
in your mind. Weighmasters don't have anything on the line,
so they should go out of their way to want to satisfy us. Believe
it or not without us spending or wives money, there ain't no tourn
ament.

Gary Key, bro it is about the MONEY. Good hearing from you.
Don't ever just accept.

Again, Team No BS will always stand up for ourselves, right
or wrong.....MG
Brian Linehan

Re: Is there ever scale drama at FLW-NG?*NM*

Post by Brian Linehan »

Did you win a prop John?
some guy

Post by some guy »

two front row seats to Tomboy. Im taking Will.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Don't waste your ticket on Will. Legend has it that he's a groupie and gives blumpkins to the band.
Sean Graf

Post by Sean Graf »

Brian Linehan wrote:Don't waste your ticket on Will. Legend has it that he's a groupie and gives blumpkins to the band.
Brian,

I dropped the goat off at Tony's house since you never called back.

Thanks for allowing us to use it!
smpboy

Post by smpboy »

something wasnt right i was very surprised when i saw my weight i thought i only had about 9lbs but it was 11 :lol:
Last edited by smpboy on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derrek Stewart

Post by Derrek Stewart »

My cull m rite was dead bang on with the weigh master for day one, as it usually is.
Day two my cull m rite was 1lb over the weigh master. I agree with my cull m rite. It is always right there within a few ounces. This made me think about it as well. I was not fast enough mentally to ask for a re-weigh. By the way it was 105 degrees and I left nothing behind. By the time I got to the scales it was all I could do to stay on my feet. I know my day two weight was higher than the standings show. Fortunately it doesn't matter and it does not take away from the great time I had.
I am glad this question was asked I will be better perpared in the future.This is just my observation and responce to a question that seems to have merit. This is no way meant as a critique to anyone envolved in managing the tournament. I have nothing to say but thank you to all who worked to make this season and this event occur.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Did everybody get short weighed? Sounds like it. Bring your ticket stub to next years event and you will all receive an extra 5 pounds on day 2. Sit down so the concert can start. There is a box of kleenex under seat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4t185w ... re=related
Couldn't pass up the opportunity john :wink:
some guy

Post by some guy »

I love TomBoy.. i blast them from my ipod when i rape swimbait fish.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
SoCalBassAssassin

Post by SoCalBassAssassin »

some guy wrote:I love TomBoy.. i blast them from my ipod when i rape swimbait fish.
hmmmmm raping swimbait fish? Souds like you are getting pretty kinky to me, John! Have you been fishing with hippie or something? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I came. I caught. I released. Life is good! -Saul-
some guy

Post by some guy »

quit being so silly
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Homer

Post by Homer »

Once the weigh in has started for the day, it is not a good idea to change scales because it is not fair to the anglers that have already weighed in for that day. If by some chance the scale is off, it will be off for everyone equally. All weights "should" be off by the same factor or percentage. On a 2 day event, the only number that can hurt an angler would be the event big fish if there was a larger fish weighed in on the second day with a light or heavier weighing scale. The 3 main rules that I use at our tournaments are 1) the angler always picks out his(her) big fish, 2) re-weighs must be done before you walk away from the scale, 3) the new weight is the one we will use, no matter if it is greater or smaller than the original. It only takes a little extra effort and time to make an angler feel that he has been treated fairly at the scales. The weigh in is the most stressfull time for the staff, anglers and fish. An equipment malfunction is every T.D.'s worst nightmare. Patience and courtesy by all parties is a most for a smooth operation. I have been very fortunate to have Mark Poulson as my weigh master for the last 2 years. The entire staff has done a great job, making my job that much easier.
"Weigh'em & Pay'em"
Mike Iljin
Castaic Bass CLub
SoCalBassAssassin

Post by SoCalBassAssassin »

some guy wrote:quit being so silly
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I came. I caught. I released. Life is good! -Saul-