Spinning Gear

texas john

Spinning Gear

Post by texas john »

Ok guys what is the best suggested Florocarbon for using on spinning reels. I currently use braid on all my spinning stuff but am thinking I'd like to give the florocarbon a shot. I use the Trilene 100% on my BC gear and really like it. Just curiouse as to the optimum product for a spinning reel. Any help is better than nothing.

Thanks!!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
BassManDan

Re: Spinning Gear

Post by BassManDan »

I would not suggest Viscious...
Don't get me wrong, it is an excellent fluoro, but it is really hard, which ain't the best for the spinning setup.

You might consider P-Line CX or Fluoroclear, they are copolymers, but they are both fluoro coated, so the apparent diameter in the water is considerably smaller, but you still get the easy handling characteristics of a copoly.

all the best,
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

Leave the braid on and tie a 6 to 7 foot section of whatever Fluoro you want as a leader with a uni to uni knot and all is good. I tried a bunch of fluorocarbons and all but the most expensive were a pain in the butt on a spinning reel. Read about the braid to fluoro thing on the Inside Line a few years back and I never looked back. I like Vicious and Berkley 100% fluoro, but with using so little at a time you can afford to buy the really expensive stuff in smaller filler spools and not break the bank.
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

i have been using a line call Toray Bawo. They have all the size lines you need, 2lb,3lb,4lb,5lb,6lb,7lb, all the way up to 30lb. This line is great, strong, super sensitive and the line memory is far less than mono even though this is a mono line. There is only one color I seen so far.

As far as florocarbon, Toray has a few and I just started to tie a a 5-7ft piece just to improve my stealth approach to those finiky fish. It works.

As far a a spool with all Florocarbon, 100% florocarbon. I tried the 100% florocarbon by P-line. It stayed on the spool and did not uncoil on me, that is a plus! I also tried the Toray Finesse Florocarbon. It did not uncoil either. BUT USE THE NEXT SIZE REEL UP IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THIS. YOU WILL BE BETTER OFF WITH A LARGER SIZE SPOOL AND DEEPER SPOOL.

the two reels I tried are the semetrye 750 with 5lb test. sahara 2500 w/8lb test. I only spooled the reels 80% full any more you will have problems.

good luck.
Steven
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I use seagar or p-line flourocarbon. No problems unless you go over 8# test. Other than that its braid with a flourocarbon leader over 8#. And use a toni peni knot, its smaller and goes through the guides without much of a tick.
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

Sacto John wrote:Leave the braid on and tie a 6 to 7 foot section of whatever Fluoro you want as a leader with a uni to uni knot and all is good. I tried a bunch of fluorocarbons and all but the most expensive were a pain in the butt on a spinning reel. Read about the braid to fluoro thing on the Inside Line a few years back and I never looked back. I like Vicious and Berkley 100% fluoro, but with using so little at a time you can afford to buy the really expensive stuff in smaller filler spools and not break the bank.
+1
I'll never go back to dropshotting on straight fluoro again. Braid with 2 arm lengths of leader is the ticket. Less hooks straightening out. WAY more sensitivity...you practically feel the fish breath on your worm. Casting distance with 8Lb braid and an 8Lb fluoro leader is ridiculous. The uni to uni knot is very simple once you tie it a few times. I use 8Lb Berkley Fireline Crystal with 8Lb P-Line Halo Fluoro for leader. I absolutely love this setup! Just my .02
"In times of rapid change experience can be your biggest handicap"
Phil

Post by Phil »

I Agree with braid/floro combo. I will never use floro all the way on a spinning reel again. At just the curtial point, you will get a twist backlash on your spinning reel that will make you throw the whole set up in the lake. Never had a twist yet with braid/floro combo. Also I use alot of plain Trilene XL Green. 6 lb to 10 lb work great for me also.

Jigs
texas john

Post by texas john »

Ok were can I find out how to tie the uni to uni or the Toni Peni Knots? I have tied a few different knots in my day both of these are new to me.
Thanks
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

If you buy Power Pro Braid the little booklet that comes with the line shows you how to tie it.

Here you go

tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Sacto John wrote:Leave the braid on and tie a 6 to 7 foot section of whatever Fluoro you want as a leader with a uni to uni knot and all is good.
Yep... learned about that at the Bass-A-Thon nearly two years ago, and have been using it ever since.
brambo0311 wrote:I use seagar or p-line flourocarbon.
I use both, and am happy with them. I use the P-Line for the really light stuff (4-6#), and Seagar for the rest. I also bought the BPS stuff in several tests after the TW evaluation came out, and have been happy with it as well.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

Here's the best(and easiest) diagram to follow for tying the uni to uni.
http://www.capttomhughes.com/Knots/Double_Uni_Knot1.jpg

If I'm using 8Lb braid and 8Lb Fluoro, I'll wrap the braid about 3-4 times around, and the Fluoro about 5 times around....

Hope this helps TXJohn...
"In times of rapid change experience can be your biggest handicap"
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Down here, I've been using 10# PowerPro or Spiderwire Stealth, and anywhere from 4# - 10# flourocarbon. I have been tying with 4 wraps each since I switched over, and it has worked just fine. Be sure to wet and cinch really well, else slippage will weaken the knot (as it will with any of the slip-type knots).

As an aside, I've been using the Uni since it first came out. I've used it for all my saltwater purposes up to 60# test, both connectors and splices. For those circumstances, I use 6 wraps for up to 15# test, and 5 wraps for 20 - 60#. Caught quite a few nice tuna, to 100#, on fairly light tackle (alot on 30# including a 90# bluefin) with long battles, and the knot has never failed me.

As a second aside, Aaron uses it. There's been much debate whether he uses the Uni or the San Diego Jam, and I can tell you that he told me at the 2006 US Open to use the Uni, and I got to verify this year that he is still using it. He recommended using 6 wraps.

Roger
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

tony pena knot: http://www.frenzytackle.com/tips/pena.htm

other info/videos available via google as well
"I'll just drop it on their head, and then rip their lips off with a TV hookset..." <i>unnamed angler when discussing how he fishes a jig</i>
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

After what happened to me at the Delta Stren this last May, I will have troubles ever useing a Uni-Uni knot as my connection from braid to floro or mono. I set the hook and the knot failed. I was useing 40lb braid to 14lb mono fishing a senko, and snaped off a 10lbr on the hook set.**Note I am not trying to deeter anyone from useing this, but I personally wont.**

My question is this. Does anyone use BallBerring Swivles to connect the lines? Just thinking about it seems to be the logical thing as you would get virtually no line twist with them. Any thoughts?
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
Vince Borges

Post by Vince Borges »

Jason, I use a small swivel alot of the time. However you are limited to the length of leader you can use. If you go to long you are either going to reel the swivel through the guides (which can't be to good) or leave a lot of line out when trying to net the fish. I let the water clearity tell me what I will do. If its stained and I am not scared of the fish being line shy I use a swivel. If its clear I want a longer leader of flouro and will use the double uni.

Hope That helps.
Vince Borges
http://www.eyesurrender.com
http://www.proworm.com
http://www.basstackledepot.com
http://www.phenixrods.com
http://www.tntbaits.com
http://www.blackwaterinternationalinc.com
http://www.megastrike.com
http://www.vinceborgesoutdoors.com
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I wouldnt want a barrel swivel to touch my guides. A swivel would take away from the presentation I am trying to do using braid to mono. I want the braid to float and the flouro to sink to get a vertical presentation on the fall. Ever wanted to DS directly under something you couldnt get directly over. Anyways it works really good for me. I prefer to use the toni penia knot, but the uni to uni I have never seen fail either. Guys on tuna boats that have monster fish strip 400 yards of line use these knots and dont have issues. The only time I had a uni or tony knot fail is because I tied it wrong. (also super glue can melt your flourocarbon and make it brittle). If you want to make the knot smoother the best stuff I have found is aqua seal for wader repair. But it has to dry over night, and wont weaken you line.

Now if you want the best set up that uses braid try this. I use this in 50# test. Its the smallest they make but is a small diameter.

http://www.blackwaterinternationalinc.c ... water.html

Its a hollow core. You rig it like you would old lead core to leader. Push your flouro inside the braid and do one overhand knot at the connection. 1 drop of aqua seal at the end. It works like a chinese finger trap and you will never feel the knot in the guides. But the stuff isnt cheap, but its the best way to run braid and have a mono or flouro leader I have found.
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

re: uni knots, I too broke off a gi-normus fish during the stren. I think the difference between the tuna boat and us is the line size, much easier to burn the 8-12lb flouro vs the 40lb they use on the tuna rigs. but I'm moving away from the uni as well and trying the pena knot this weekend
"I'll just drop it on their head, and then rip their lips off with a TV hookset..." <i>unnamed angler when discussing how he fishes a jig</i>
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Sacto John wrote:Leave the braid on and tie a 6 to 7 foot section of whatever Fluoro you want as a leader with a uni to uni knot and all is good. I tried a bunch of fluorocarbons and all but the most expensive were a pain in the butt on a spinning reel. Read about the braid to fluoro thing on the Inside Line a few years back and I never looked back. I like Vicious and Berkley 100% fluoro, but with using so little at a time you can afford to buy the really expensive stuff in smaller filler spools and not break the bank.
+2 except

I have fourteen rods setup and because I'm a quad I can only use spinning rods. I use pretty heavy braid and at least a 7 to 10 foot leader during daylight fishing. I had horrible problems losing fish with Berkley Vanish. If you have any, throw it away or give it to someone you don't like. Get Seagar - the knots just don't break. This spring using Vanish I broke off three over 5. Since switching I haven't broken off.

I've heard there are really only three manufacturers of Fluorocarbon. Everyone else just puts their name on it. Seagar made Cabelas Fluoro and I got 1000 yards of that for $11 but I think they're sold out. Go uni to uni Its rated #1 in scientific tests (Google Knot Wars)
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Fred Fullerton

Post by Fred Fullerton »

I've been using the uni knot on braid and floro for years never had a problem try the P- line Halo you will love it The triline is very good as well I have some on my rigs as well just experiment until you find what you are comfortable with is the best way to go
Jason Milligan

Post by Jason Milligan »

I like using the braid/fluro combo when I need line 10lb test and over on a spinning real. Any less and i go with straight fluro. I've used Seagur with great results for years. I use it both 100% on the spool and as well as for my leaders. I use the double uni knot. Easy to tye. I feel in super clear water like the desert lakes or anywhere where you have, "bathtub" clear water, the braid/fluro combo will cost you bites. I don't know if this is true but It's seems like it does. Look for the new FC ZOOL flurocarbon from Damiki Craft to be out soon. This stuff is good! Anyone have an opinion on if braid/fluro combo will cost you bites in super clear water? Even with a 7foot plus leader?
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Jason Milligan wrote:Anyone have an opinion on if braid/fluro combo will cost you bites in super clear water? Even with a 7foot plus leader?
Works just fine... no problems here on DVL, Mead, Havasu, etc.

I may use a little longer leader than many... like someone earlier, I usually use two or three yards'-worth.

Roger
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Jason Milligan wrote:Anyone have an opinion on if braid/fluro combo will cost you bites in super clear water? Even with a 7foot plus leader?
I think you're onto something because the braid precedes the path of the lure. But... I'm guessing. I've been using 20# fluoro leader, thinking about switching down to 8# just to see if I get more bites.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

big thumbs up from me with the tony pena knot, tied up 3 rods with it this weekend to try it out - 2 baitcasters and a spinning rod. it's a pain in the butt to tie it still but the knot works really really well and does go thru the guides nicely going out, a little "tink!" on the guides as it's coming back in. cranked off the 2 baitcasters with 50lb braid to ~10-15yds of 12lb and 20lb seaguar invis-x flouro. the 12lb went both ways thru the guides with little issue at all, the 20lb was noticeable coming back in as it caught just a bit on the guides and on the level wind hole on the reel. In hindsight I probably could have cinched the overhand knot much tighter to help keep the knot profile low.

I'm converted to the new knot now, thanks brambo for the point in the right direction.
drew

Post by drew »

Toray Bawo Super Finesse. The mechanical properties of the material and the diameter are very important. The Toray Finesse has a small diameter per rated weight. The small diameter combined with a very good chemistry allows it to be manageable on a spinning reel.
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

MikeD wrote:big thumbs up from me with the tony pena knot, tied up 3 rods with it this weekend to try it out - 2 baitcasters and a spinning rod. it's a pain in the butt to tie it still but the knot works really really well and does go thru the guides nicely going out, a little "tink!" on the guides as it's coming back in. cranked off the 2 baitcasters with 50lb braid to ~10-15yds of 12lb and 20lb seaguar invis-x flouro. the 12lb went both ways thru the guides with little issue at all, the 20lb was noticeable coming back in as it caught just a bit on the guides and on the level wind hole on the reel. In hindsight I probably could have cinched the overhand knot much tighter to help keep the knot profile low.

I'm converted to the new knot now, thanks brambo for the point in the right direction.
No problem. Now to reduce that tick (build a ramp), once the knot is finished take the braid and do 3 or 4 half hitches on the other side of the mono knot up the line covering the mono tag end. Then use that aqua seal to smooth it out further.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I prefer using Sugoi straight fluorocarbon for all my dropshotting.

For connecting braid to fluorocarbon, check out the J Knot...you won't have knot failures and it goes through the line guides without a hitch. I use the braid/fluoro combo for several other applications, though dropshotting is not one of them.

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

MikeD wrote:big thumbs up from me with the tony pena knot, tied up 3 rods with it this weekend to try it out - 2 baitcasters and a spinning rod. it's a pain in the butt to tie it still but the knot works really really well and does go thru the guides nicely going out, a little "tink!" on the guides as it's coming back in. cranked off the 2 baitcasters with 50lb braid to ~10-15yds of 12lb and 20lb seaguar invis-x flouro. the 12lb went both ways thru the guides with little issue at all, the 20lb was noticeable coming back in as it caught just a bit on the guides and on the level wind hole on the reel. In hindsight I probably could have cinched the overhand knot much tighter to help keep the knot profile low.

I tied this knot last night as well looks like it will work great. I tested its strength by tining my fluorocarbon off to my boat in the garage and pulling as hard as I could. No breakage at the Pena knot, cant wait to try it on the water. Thanks Brambo
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

found this:

found out also that there is a Bob Sands knot that is a variation of this know, just tie a uni in place of the overhand with the mono/flouro leader
ron4493

Post by ron4493 »

ry the Alberto knot. Ive tried to break it and Your line will break before the knot ever will. Its an amazing knot. You can find it at----,
http://www.stripersonline.com/Pages/Art ... knot.shtml