Batterys

SethB

Batterys

Post by SethB »

Looking to buy two new deep cycle batteries. What is the best brand to get? Why?
Take a kid fishing
Brian

Re: Batterys

Post by Brian »

A.G.M.s Last the longest.
jim eaton

Post by jim eaton »

For trolling or cranking? I have been on my same interstate cranking battery for 3 1/2 yrs now, and about the same on my trolling.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

SethB wrote:Looking to buy two new deep cycle batteries. What is the best brand to get? Why?

Everstart= NEVERSTART

I use Optima batteries. In the car, truck and boats
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

Hollywood wrote:
SethB wrote:Looking to buy two new deep cycle batteries. What is the best brand to get? Why?

Everstart= NEVERSTART

Oh please ... I've been using these Everstart for over 10 years. If you keep water levels up and keep them charged, they last just as long as any batteries in the market. That plus they're some of the least expensive batteries out there. Anything goes wrong, there's always a Walmart nearby to do an over the counter exchange. Personally, I've never had to exercise that option.

These Everstarts plus the Costco brand are some of the best bang for the buck out there.

Not to bad mouth Optima batteries, but don't ever run them dry ... if these batteries ever run empty, as if you leave them in your boat over an extended period of time ... they will not come back to life. This has happened to a couple of friends of mine ... one in a car, one in a boat.
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Your information on Optima Batteries is incorrect. Optima batteries are completely sealed maintenece free for the life of the battery! There is never any leakage thus the reason why you can mount your optima batter upside down if it would make you happy.

And if you don't believe me, here is a tidbit from the optima site with the link following so you can read for yourself.

The OPTIMA battery is truly maintenance free. When charged properly you will not have to worry about leaking, corrosion, or gassing. Periodically inspect your battery terminal connections to ensure they are clean, snug, and protected from the elements.

The Link: http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_e ... torage.php
And a link directly to the blue top battery: http://www.optimabatteries.com/marine/fishing/

So with all that said, I guess it would of been kinda hard for your friends to run there optima batteries dry wouldn't you say?

201Pro wrote:
Hollywood wrote:

Everstart= NEVERSTART

Oh please ... I've been using these Everstart for over 10 years. If you keep water levels up and keep them charged, they last just as long as any batteries in the market. That plus they're some of the least expensive batteries out there. Anything goes wrong, there's always a Walmart nearby to do an over the counter exchange. Personally, I've never had to exercise that option.

These Everstarts plus the Costco brand are some of the best bang for the buck out there.

Not to bad mouth Optima batteries, but don't ever run them dry ... if these batteries ever run empty, as if you leave them in your boat over an extended period of time ... they will not come back to life. This has happened to a couple of friends of mine ... one in a car, one in a boat.
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

Hollywood wrote:Your information on Optima Batteries is incorrect. Optima batteries are completely sealed maintenece free for the life of the battery! There is never any leakage thus the reason why you can mount your optima batter upside down if it would make you happy.

And if you don't believe me, here is a tidbit from the optima site with the link following so you can read for yourself.

The OPTIMA battery is truly maintenance free. When charged properly you will not have to worry about leaking, corrosion, or gassing. Periodically inspect your battery terminal connections to ensure they are clean, snug, and protected from the elements.

And a link directly to the blue top battery: http://www.optimabatteries.com/marine/fishing/

So with all that said, I guess it would of been kinda hard for your friends to run there optima batteries dry wouldn't you say?
Hollywood,

I don't mean to say that they leak when I say 'when they run dry' ... by that I mean to say if it discharges completely, they have been known to not re-charge. At least according to the two instances that I've known of.
Chris
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Optima Batteries Warranty: Can't beat this in my opinion.

All BlueTop starting and dual purpose batteries 18 months free replacement, remaining 18 months prorated
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_e ... .php#blue1

And if you put one in your truck or suv, this is what you get:
36 Months Free Replacement, Remaining 36 Month Prorated

201Pro wrote:
Hollywood wrote:Your information on Optima Batteries is incorrect. Optima batteries are completely sealed maintenece free for the life of the battery! There is never any leakage thus the reason why you can mount your optima batter upside down if it would make you happy.

Hollywood,

I don't mean to say that they leak when I say 'when they run dry' ... by that I mean to say if it discharges completely, they have been known to not re-charge. At least according to the two instances that I've known of.
twister

Post by twister »

Any wet cell battery is comparable to the next. Just stay away from maintenance frees like Delco. They dry up and you can't fill them. AGM batterys are awesome because they can be discharged more without damage. They can be mounted anywhere in any orientation. They almost all come with 3 year warrantys. Batteries tend to build up with sulfates over time rendering them useless but you can prevent this from happening if you pour a Tetrasodium EDTA into each hole. That's what a refurb battery is.
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

I used Optima two times and took it back. The damn thing did not even last a day on the trolling motor. The cosco brand did better and you can get two of them for the price of one Optima.
Some people just hate to spend less :lol:

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

201Pro wrote:These Everstarts plus the Costco brand are some of the best bang for the buck out there.
What's the pricing of the Wally World vs Costco deep cycles? Is the Costco sealed?

My Trojans are starting to go (3+ years) and I'm just looking for a set of cheap group 27s for the interim.
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

I have never had a problem with my Everstarts, and the fact that you can get them replaced at any Wal Mart with no questions asked is a bonus for me. I am sure Optimum are great batteries as are other high end batteries, but I do not see the point in spending the extra money when I can get a good battery for less then half the price.
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

I feel you I have to replace mine also.....Pricey. Let me know what you find I have been looking also. Anyone know if BPS carries batteries?
LL South
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

All lead acid batteries are not created equal even if they come out of the same plant.
The quality of lead and construction varies by the price of the battery.

I would avoid Wal Mart batteries since they generally don't last longer then a couple years. I would go with Costco batteries over the Wal Mart batteries.

P&E batteries from Fisherman's Warehouse cost $95 and last 4-5 years or more.
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

The great thing about Wal Mart batteries is that you can return them every 12 to 18 months and get a new battery. Keep your receipt and get an new battery every year,. no cost, no questions asked (so far anyway)
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Whoopbass wrote:I would avoid Wal Mart batteries since they generally don't last longer then a couple years. I would go with Costco batteries over the Wal Mart batteries.
How much are the Costco deep cycles? I couldn't find any auto or marine battery entries at the Costco website when I was looking for specs...
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

fish_food wrote:
201Pro wrote:These Everstarts plus the Costco brand are some of the best bang for the buck out there.
What's the pricing of the Wally World vs Costco deep cycles? Is the Costco sealed?

My Trojans are starting to go (3+ years) and I'm just looking for a set of cheap group 27s for the interim.
In the past, the Everstarts were around $65-70 ... but lately, as with all other, the prices have gone up. I think they're now ~$80-85 ... Costco are a few $$$ less. But they're series 27 vs. the Everstarts I mentioned were series 29's ... they (Everstarts) do weight a lot ... probably around 30#-40#'s???

Both the Everstarts and the Costco are regular wet batteries that you have to monitor the water levels. That said, I normally get about 3 years of use from each set for my trolling motor. I fish about 2-3 time a month ... so that's not bad.

Last I checked the Trojans and Optimas around $150-170/ea .. about twice the cost of the Everstarts and Costco brand. If I get 3 years out of mine, these other 'premium' batteries better get 6 years of life or it's not worth my $$$ ... just my thoughts.
Chris
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
mm

Post by mm »

Why would you want to return/exchange batteries if there is nothing wrong with them?
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

If you go long periods of time without charging your boat's batteries I go
with AGM types as they tend to discharge more slowly in storage.( Diesel ocean boat and sail boat) For my bass boat I use regular wet cell batteries as they cost far less and I can keep 'em charged all the time. I use Interstates because I get a "deal", my dealer has them at all times, the guarantee is easy to use, and they work.
SethB

Post by SethB »

Thanks for the help guys. I have been using Cost-Co/Kirkland brand batteries for the last few years. They have been working fine. Guess I will buy two more. Thanks again Seth B.
Take a kid fishing
duckhuntr07

Post by duckhuntr07 »

Whoopbass wrote:All lead acid batteries are not created equal even if they come out of the same plant.
The quality of lead and construction varies by the price of the battery.

I would avoid Wal Mart batteries since they generally don't last longer then a couple years. I would go with Costco batteries over the Wal Mart batteries.

P&E batteries from Fisherman's Warehouse cost $95 and last 4-5 years or more.
Word.......Hear that Justin
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

I hear ya...Trying to get a friend of Mikes to get me the 40% discount at BPS. Even if they only last a year its okay they were cheap and I'm broke. You coming out fishing tomorrow? Call me.
LL South