Sierras - Trout advice? What is flasher/crawler?

jd-santaclarita

Sierras - Trout advice? What is flasher/crawler?

Post by jd-santaclarita »

I am heading up to the high sierras (wishon lake) and am leaving my bass setup behind and going all trout. I have no idea how to fish trout. I have 2 6' light rods rigged with 4lb p-line, so there is my start. I bought a few little roosters and kastmasters, but all the reports I read say for shore fishing stick with flasher/crawlers. Can someone tell me exactly how to rig this? Also, what size hooks do you typically use for crawler fishing? Thanks for any advice.

-jd
Whoopbass

Re: Sierras - Trout advice? What is flasher/crawler?

Post by Whoopbass »

Flasher and crawlers are used for trolling not bank fishing.
I can't recall the last time I fished a lake for trout.
When I fish the streams in the Sierras I do alot better on 2-4 inch long rapalas.
A larger lure is easier for them to see and you get reaction bites from trout just like you would a bass.
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

JD,
I never heard of anyone fishing with a flasher/crawer from shore? That is a typical trolling set up, but hey I may be wrong. I have a group of friends who fished Edison, Huntington, Wishon and Shaver
recently, this is what they took and caught plenty of fish over 5 days:
1)Kastmaters 1/4 oz, in chrome, chrome/blue and gold colored.

2) Wooly buggers (wet fly) on 5 ft leader below a "castabubble"

3) Salmon eggs, natural and red colored, used these for fishing in the upper san jaquin river and smaller creeks.

4) Crickets-Live fished like wooly bugger below "castabubble"

I would personally throw in a fly rod with a good assortment of nymphs and dry flys, late evening hatches can be incredible up there, if your not comfortable with a fly rod you can use most of them behind the castabubble. 4-6 puond test (mono) should do
o.k.

Dan
Riplip

Post by Riplip »

Flies 2-4ft behind a castbubble float, or nymph pattern 18" behind a splitshot ,slow retrive. Also powerbait balled around a small hook on a slider rig. Just slide on a small egg sinker, then use the smallest splitshot to adjust the distance between the egg sinker and the bait. The bait will float above the bottom. Any small bright spoons or spinners, or small Rapala's will also work. Good luck!
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com
Joe Bruce

Post by Joe Bruce »

jd-santaclarita wrote:I am heading up to the high sierras (wishon lake) and am leaving my bass setup behind and going all trout. I have no idea how to fish trout. I have 2 6' light rods rigged with 4lb p-line, so there is my start. I bought a few little roosters and kastmasters, but all the reports I read say for shore fishing stick with flasher/crawlers. Can someone tell me exactly how to rig this? Also, what size hooks do you typically use for crawler fishing? Thanks for any advice.

-jd
just c-rig a super small trebble with rainbo powerbait. 4lb test.
dont set till they have eaten it. put a bobber with an open snap swivel on your line between the first and second eye of your rod. this allows the fish to move some without feeling any weight and lets you know ones on. they are often shallow in the high lakes. find a flat or a point so you dont cast out into 100 feet of water. if you want to let the fish go cut the line and do it quick trout die real fast
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

JD,

I used to do a lot of trout fishing prior to getting the bass bug. Trout fishing on a lake is pretty easy. You don’t need but a few items. A great benefit of trout fishing is that you get to use two rods with the purchase of the extra stamp for your fishing license. You can run bait on one rod while tossing artificials on the other.

You’ll need to make a stop at a tackle shop to purchase a few things for bait fishing on a lake including ¼ egg sinker, size 10 or 8 baitholder hooks, worm blower, a couple jars of PowerBait (ask shop for best colors) and mini crawlers. Add a few more things if you plan to fish streams too.

Your 6’ setup with 4lb test is fine. For the bait fishing, you’ll be tying up a miniature Carolina rig with an egg sinker. A ¼ lead egg sinker works great. Tie it to the smallest swivel possible that will still stop the sinker. Then, tie on a 3 foot leader of 2-4lb mono with a small sz 10 or 8 bait holder hook. I preferred Gamakatsu hooks.

For bait, purchase “mini crawlersâ€
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

JD,

I used to do a lot of trout fishing prior to getting the bass bug. Trout fishing on a lake is pretty easy. You don’t need but a few items. A great benefit of trout fishing is that you get to use two rods with the purchase of the extra stamp for your fishing license. You can run bait on one rod while tossing artificials on the other.

You’ll need to make a stop at a tackle shop to purchase a few things for bait fishing on a lake including ¼ egg sinker, size 10 or 8 baitholder hooks, worm blower, a couple jars of PowerBait (ask shop for best colors) and mini crawlers. Add a few more things if you plan to fish streams too.

Your 6’ setup with 4lb test is fine. For the bait fishing, you’ll be tying up a miniature Carolina rig with an egg sinker. A ¼ lead egg sinker works great. Tie it to the smallest swivel possible that will still stop the sinker. Then, tie on a 3 foot leader of 2-4lb mono with a small sz 10 or 8 bait holder hook. I preferred Gamakatsu hooks.

For bait, purchase “mini crawlersâ€
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

The mini nightcrawlers are the ticket for me. I take a worm threader, and impale the worm almost all the way, then put the hook in the opening in the treader and slide the worm on. It looks more natural than globbed on the hook. Rig it carolina.

Use it at the launch area, and Short Hair Creek. Both should be productive. If you have a boat, go across where the other creek comes in and throw in the current and let in roll down.
Morgan