An rant from a friend of mine

If it doesn't fit in any other forum, this is where it goes.
Greg_Cornish

An rant from a friend of mine

Post by Greg_Cornish »

So, to go off on a bit of a rant...

Uri gave us a link last night on Team Speak, I won't repeat it here.. it was a joke site about sheep, if you went there I'm sorry. I'm sure Uri didn't know, but if you click around a bit on there, it ends up infecting your Windows with some stupid malware....

Now, I have my computer running scans right now, I'm sure it will get cleaned up after god knows how much work... but WHY THE HELL DO YOU PEOPLE PUT UP WITH THIS CRAP????!?!?

I do not understand why people want to run this operating system and why they have become so complacent that they are unwilling to try anything else. I do not understand how people think it's perfectly normal to buy an overpriced operating system that is full of bugs and then buy spyware protection and then buy antivirus protection just because it is such a piece of **** that you have to protect it. Then, it doesn't even come with **** you need to use it, I mean, we all know it comes with the wonderful handfull of apps like calculator, Internet Explorer, and media player.... but WTF?! Now, if you want to write a document they expect you to either use wordpad (yea, bologna) or buy Microsoft Office for nearly $500.

Bull ****

I cannot stand Windows, I do not understand WHY the people that use it continue OVER AND OVER AGAIN to buy it, to give Microsoft money just for the pleasure of being able to frustrate the ever living hell out of them. I'm looking at ALL of you that own Windows... that have bought Windows... ALL of you. STOP IT.

DEMAND more from Microsoft, or refuse to buy their crap. Demand that you OS actually f'ing works, or do not buy it. or, for the love of god, buy a Mac or use Linux. If you buy a new computer and it comes with Windows and they say you can't have it without Windows, THEN RAISE HELL AND COMPLAIN.

The only way this will change is if everyone revolts. It has already started, how many love Vista? yea, a few... a **** ton of people won't give up XP... they are starting to see the light that Microsoft writes their OS's for them, not for their consumers.... they write in protections for the music and movie industry, not for the rights of their consumers... they don't care about you, they release **** and they expect you to buy it anyway AND YOU DO.

I run one Windows computer... it's for playing some games, because so many of you will ONLY use Windows that the game developers only program for Windows... and I'm sick of it. Demand more for your money.

I read something from someone a while back that perfectly described it..... in the 1800's, before cars... everyone used horses and buggy's. Everyone was completely used to the horse **** laying around the streets. They were used to the health problems of having horse **** everywhere and of having the occasional dead horse corpse lying on the side of the road.... disease was rampant partly due to this. They did not know it could be any different, they did not know that they didn't HAVE to put up with **** lying around everywhere.... the automobile finally came along and everyone saw the light. YOU DON'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH VIRUS'S AND SPYWARE EVERYWHERE, THAT IS ONLY IN WINDOWS!!!!

Brought to you from my laptop, running Ubuntu 8.10 where I can click on any goddamn link I want and not be scared it will destroy my OS.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Rod Martin

Re: An rant from a friend of mine

Post by Rod Martin »

Greg, I can buy a $300.00 puter and come on WB and bug you.

Priceless :D
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Rod Martin wrote:Greg, I can buy a $300.00 puter and come on WB and bug you.

Priceless :D
And $50 of that goes to Microsoft that you could have saved if you ran Ubuntu on the same computer.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I'm just a dumb tuck driver . Whats umubatube?

Will it leave a rash?
Vince E

Post by Vince E »

I'm no programmer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last light.
As I understand it there are 2 major elements that explain why Linux users have to deal with less virus and malware issues.

The first is that the open source of their software allows for a much larger pool of developers to be at work on any known bug at any time than at M$.

The second is because the huge market share of M$ users running vulnerable software provides a large and irresistible target to malware coders.

Linux is not impervious to malware by its nature, it's just less vulnerable and gets less attention by hackers. It gets more respect by them too for the same reasons outlined in your (friends?) rant.

It would stand to reason that if Linux became the dominant platform malware developers would be forced to turn their attention to Linux . Linux users would see malware. Probably not as much as with Windows but some.

It's true that M$ has a long history of releasing unfinished products with the intention of having their paying end users complete their beta testing for them, but every release of every flavor of Linux is a work in progress as well, albeit free of charge with no guarantees given.

As for word processing, Open Office for Windows is a free download, is very similar to using M$ Office and will open and save most M$ Office docs.

Have you (your friend?) tried running the Windows games in Wine on the Ubantu box? I've only dabbled with Fedora 8 and Knoppix a bit but I've read many Windows apps can run in Wine.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Vince E wrote:Has you (your friend?) tried running the Windows games in Wine on the Ubuntu box? I've only dabbled with Fedora 8 and Knoppix a bit but I've read many Windows apps can run in Wine.
I think he uses something called Crossover
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

A Second rant from my friend!

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
it will come in 7 flavors, you see they understood and listened when everyone said that 6 versions of Vista were confusing, so now Windows 7 will only come in 7 versions..... maybe that's where the name comes from? But they will focus advertising to only two versions.... AHH now I understand the lunacy that is Microsoft.... I think I'll shoot myself in the left foot while trying to sell my new OS.

OH, and there is a special version that everyone will love that gets tricked into buying it, it only allows 3 programs to run at once. Lets say you run Yahoo messenger, MSN messenger and IE,.. well NOW YOU CAN'T OPEN ANYTHING ELSE. I don't understand the stupid decisions they make sometimes..... a warning box if a system has low ram that the performance may degrade would be enough... not allowing **** to open is moronic.

So, lets shoot ourselves in the right foot too, we weren't bad enough off with just the left foot shot... we LOVE bad press, maybe people will hate Windows 7 like they do Vista ONLY based on rumors again.... MAYBE, if they try really, REALLY hard they can manage so much bad press from stupid ideas that fewer people will want Win7 when its released than they did Vista.

more info here : http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid ... 5&from=rss