What's up with the Dodgers?

Sports talk forum
some guy

What's up with the Dodgers?

Post by some guy »

You guys have probably the worst starting rotation in baseball right now and won't resign the best power hitter in the game? You boys are going to need to rely on offense to win ball games this year.

Billingsley, Kershaw, Kuroda, Wolf ( who has big trouble staying healthy) and Schmidt?!?!?! He has pitched one inning this spring. The first in two years and they have him projected as your guys number 5 guy. Thats a sad state of affairs.

What's going on?
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
sTony

Re: What's up with the Dodgers?

Post by sTony »

I think that Manny's agent is running back and forth over and again between the Dodgers and Giants as both teams want to sign him. I thought he'd be signed long ago and figure the Dodgers eventually will.

That Dodger pitching staff sure has a lot of question marks.

sTony
some guy

Post by some guy »

There is no way the Dodgers let Manny go to someone within the division. No way. Even the Dodgers are'nt that stupid. The whole hang up is the 3rd year option. They both have agreed that two years 45million is financially feasible. After the two years are up the Dodger's want it to be a club option and Manny/Boras want it to be a player option. Both sides are just trying to protect themselves.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

The rotation isn't that bad. Kershaw is goin to be great, and billingsly is solid. One good thing that happened to the dodgers is the dead weight Kent, NoMAH, and others have left, so they can improve the bench and have a younger team. They are pretty solid defensively but offense is the main ? mark. If they do not sign Manny there are no legit HR-RBI threats really left on the market
some guy

Post by some guy »

The rotation is suspect. They will not be able to use schmidt.. no way. Dude was a roider when he was in his prime and now his body is breaking down. Wolf has always had trouble staying healthy but was decent when he was. They lose those two guys and they are shot.

I say the D backs take the west this year.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

I agree that Dodgers are in pretty bad shape pitching wise....they had chances to sign good starters yet they made NO efforts. They got Wolf but he's not proven anything in the past few years to make dodger fans get excited about. Sure we've got our young guns in Loney, Kemp and Ethier but they are good for 20hr a year and MAYBE 85 rbis.

The thing is they need to make a move on Manny becuase there isn't a big bat left in the FA market anymore. Once Dunn was signed the last of the big bats left.

I hope the dodgers didn't shoot themselves in the foot by putting all their apples in one basket on Manny. I WANT Manny to come back to LA and he'd be the guy to help this team out a lot...

Should have jumped on other opportunities as a back up!
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

Wolf pitched 190 innings last year and 119 in 2007, 89 = 2006, and 68 in 2005, If he can stay healthy he could be the innings eater they need in the fourth spot. While the pitching does seem suspect and young, they are also one year more experienced in the playoffs and all. They made it to the playoffs last year with this rotation, I know Manny had a say tho. I'm pulling for the blue crew to make it to the first round, so the Cubs can play them again. How bout this who would win toe to toe Milton "the meltdown" Bradley or Matt Kemp. I'd put my money on Milt that's one crazy MF'er :lol:
some guy

Post by some guy »

Kemp seems to Lacsadaisic. My money would be on Bradley too. They restructured the Manny deal today. I wonder if he will bite.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
DL

Post by DL »

Manny rejected the offer. Something about the Dodgers wanting to defer $20mil or so of the contract... Is McCourt sabotaging his own negotiations?

If Arte wants to own the So Cal market here is his chance. The Dodgers would turn into the Clippers if the Angels throw a bunch of cheese at Manny and he makes the trip down the 5 :D
"Feel the steel"
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

Front office tank job if they don't sign Money ramirez. If the giants sign him they can take the nl west.
some guy

Post by some guy »

No one else really has the free money as the dodgers too (maybe the Yankess :lol: ).. My understanding from reading the refusal was that the dodgers want to defer payment for 5 years and Manny wants all the cheese in 2 years. The Dodgers want to try and keep there cap low so they can obtain other players. Its actually all Manny/Boras fawking this deal up. They guy is a beyond wealthy, its guarranteed money over 5 years. So why not spread it out over 5 years so you can better the team you play for and try to win it all. This is just Manny being Manny. The downside to his HOF numbers.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

Seems like both sidesare playing a game of chicken... Roscoe's chicken and waffles is the cure for sprankler pudding if anyone has that problem. If not 2 extra crispy Eggo waffles will do the trick must be extra crispy. They need to get this deal done or the Dodgers are SOL. Ned Coletti if your out there and you have Sprankler Pudding please heed my advice it works.... Waffles work wonders
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

Well it happened...
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

its about freaking time they did!
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddd...............Why doesn't MLB have a salary cap like EVERY other sport?

Manny is good....But not THAT good
2 years...45 Million????? Puuuullleeeeeezzzzeeee :roll:

How many new season ticket holders did the Dodgers just acquire?
"In times of rapid change experience can be your biggest handicap"
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

Alex M. wrote:Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddd...............Why doesn't MLB have a salary cap like EVERY other sport?

Manny is good....But not THAT good
2 years...45 Million????? Puuuullleeeeeezzzzeeee :roll:
Are you going to tell me that every other baseball player deserves the $160-180 mil they signed to this year? Come on...

I agree that MLB needs a salary cap...hands down they do!!!
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

elfish16 wrote:Are you going to tell me that every other baseball player deserves the $160-180 mil they signed to this year? Come on...

I agree that MLB needs a salary cap...hands down they do!!!

Ohh...Hell naawwwwww...They don't deserve it either.
Most baseball players are overpaid cry-babies.

Salary Cap is a must for sure....
But.....
Imagine the outrage(and possible lock-out) by the MLBPA if the league attempted to impose a salary cap on all the clubs!
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

the you s#$@ would hit the fan for sure!

WOW!!! :shock:
some guy

Post by some guy »

the same could be said for actors and actresses. How much do you think Tom Hanks is worth? :shock:

They are def not losing money on these deals or they would not be forking out the cash. It's an entertainment industry. The players perform and draw in the fans. I think the players deserve all the revenue not the owners.. NO SALARY CAP!

perfect example.. NYY and TBR... just because teams cough up dough doesnt mean they are going to automatically get a ring.

That's the beauty of baseball.
Last edited by some guy on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
DL

Post by DL »

Salary Cap is a must for sure....
But.....
Imagine the outrage(and possible lock-out) by the MLBPA if the league attempted to impose a salary cap on all the clubs!
If the owners try to impose a salary cap, MLB would be gone until the owners withdrew the proposal. There is no way the MLBPA would allow it. We would be watching AA and AAA level talent at big league parks all over America. If a cap is introduced and the players go on strike, i will dust off my spikes and head back to the cage to get ready for my scab tryout. If Brenden Donnelly can get a ring, so can I :lol:
"Feel the steel"
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

OK John....
So just tell me why Baseball is the only sport that shouldn't have a salary cap? B-Ballers, Football players, and even our neighbors to the north(America Jr.) in the NHL are all "performers" too....No?

I personally would LOVE to see a salary cap.....However....I don't think the salary cap will probably ever go into effect because of the MLB's track record already. If you just flipped the script on those overpaid whiners they wouldn't play and we'd be watching AAA guys in the majors as DL said...

NYY can suck it too...seriously...F that whole mega colossal squad of pseudo heroes.....Any idiot can buy talent...What you do with it is a whole 'nother ball game(no pun intended). :roll:
Last edited by Alex M. on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
some guy

Post by some guy »

Don't be putting no words in my mouf yo..

When did i say baseball was the only sport that shouldnt have a cap?

If you mean the beauty of baseball claim.

anyone who has ever played baseball knows anyone can win on any given day. Nothing to do with $.

I dont think there should be a salary cap in any sports. Most owners already have a ton of money. The players are the ones sacrficing their bodies for our enjoyment. I think they should be compensated for that. Not the suits.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

I agree that anyone can win on any given day...No Doubt Son!

But...
It does up your chances of having a better than average season quite a bit when you've got a roster full of overpaid steroid ridden douchenuggets...Just sayin' :D

Salary cap for all...that's what I say! Yeah the players are sacrificing themselves a certain amount...Not 8 figures a year necessarily though! Maybe we should put salary caps on people in unions next...especially the grocer's unions :shock: :shock: :shock: j/k :wink: