National Guard FLW Series ...must read

justin lucas

National Guard FLW Series ...must read

Post by justin lucas »

Hey guys,

Ok, so I have been thinking about this for awhile now and felt that it is the right time to post this. The first National Guard series event is next week at lake Havasu and they are still needing boaters for this event. I know times are VERY tough, but we as anglers need to come together and make this work. The National Guard and FLW Outdoors have given us an opportunity that we have always dreamed of and asked for, and that opportunity could very easily go away if we do not fill up these fields.

This year, yes the entries did go up $500, but did you also know that so did the Forrest Wood Cup, by 500K? That makes it a 2.5 million dollar event! If you make the top 20 in the points you will qualify and you will be guaranteed 7k as a boater for this event. First place is still $1,000,000! We have had a western angler win 3 of the last 5 Cups, that's awesome and says something about the quality of fisherman we have. Also, the co-angler first place next year is $100,000!! That's so unheard of it seems fake, but it isn't. FLW has kept their word and paid 125K (cash) and 25K (cash) to the winner on boths sides of each event out here even if it was not a full field. That says something about their commitment to us!

My biggest problem lately is that I truly believe that some of the badmouthing that has been going on on these forums has hurt the numbers for this event. Is it really necessary? When we put down others in a time that is already tough, it just makes the situation worse. If you don't want to fish the event, don't fish it, but don't talk bad and RUIN it for the people who do want to fish it. Remember when mom said "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all"? We should not put something down that is helping grow tournament bass fishing on the west coast, getting our unheard of anglers noticed, and giving us an opportunity to make a living fishing.

Practice for Havasu starts Friday. Call 270.252.1000 or go to flwoutdoors.com to sign up. Let's not let this opportunity slip away from us...who knows if we will ever get this chance again?

Sincerely,
Justin Lucas

Ps. Yes I am on an FLW team (wouldn't have happened without this series), but I would be writing this either way, because it has been my dream since I was 10 years old and we need to be aware of the future of our sport.

Payout for each western event
$1 Million Events Purses * Professional Purse Co-Angler Purse
Place Regular Purse Cont. Purse Place Regular Purse Cont. Purse Total Purse
1st $100,000 $25,000 * $125,000 1st $20,000 $5,000 $25,000
2nd $50,000 $50,000 2nd $10,000 $10,000
3rd $40,000 $40,000 3rd $7,500 $7,500
4th $30,000 $30,000 4th $5,000 $5,000
5th $20,000 $20,000 5th $4,000 $4,000
6th $19,000 $19,000 6th $3,500 $3,500
7th $18,000 $18,000 7th $3,000 $3,000
8th $17,000 $17,000 8th $2,500 $2,500
9th $16,000 $16,000 9th $2,000 $2,000
10th $15,000 $15,000 10th $1,500 $1,500
11th-15th $12,500 $12,500 11th-15th $1,300 $1,300
16th-20th $12,000 $12,000 16th-20th $1,200 $1,200
21st-25th $11,500 $11,500 21st-25th $1,100 $1,100
26th-30th $11,000 $11,000 26th-30th $1,000 $1,000
31st-40th $10,500 $10,500 31st-40th $900 $900
41st-50th $10,000 $10,000 41st-50th $800 $800
Big Bass $500 Big Bass $300
TEAMDEADMONEY

I agree with alot of what you said....

Post by TEAMDEADMONEY »

That being said... Its been my dream since I was a kid to fish those events. But I cant because I simply cant afford it. If I could find the backing to do even the 1st event at Havasu I would do it in a heart beat.
I want so bad to do that event that its not even funny. I have sent out alot of resumes and frankly its extremely hard to get companies to commit to the entry fees.

If I had an offer to do Havasu...Id jump on it!!

You guys that have the suupport and backing to do this event are very fortunate.

Good Luck!!

Pete 8)
PeteMarinoGuideService.com
bazs

Re: National Guard FLW Series ...must read

Post by bazs »

Justin is absolutley right.

Thanks for that.

Times are tough but where will we be when things get rolling again and we have no FLW here anymore. I've been commited to the 09 season since deposits were due nad made them without any paid entries. I belive in the west coast and FLW, I just wish everyone else felt the same. We all know there will be plenty of belly aching after we loose em due to low participation and have no real circiut to fish out west. BASS was driven away due to similar turn-out situations.

Maybe alot of the naysayers out there are just not commited tournament anglers! I don't know cuz I have hoped for a tournament circiut like FLW to make a home in western waters since I was a little kid. We get one and people find every excuse not to go, ridiculous and embarassing.

As far as tournaments go for me I make sure if im fishing an event its a big one cuz I am a tornament angler and thats what I love, and its what I do. I don't get to choose the lakes or when they go but thats what makes it real and competitive.

Western anglers are the BEST but our commitment to the sport and its growth falls far behind the east coast angler and thats why they get the bulk of the love!!! If we want equality we need to be commited and passionate AND SUPPORT FLW.

There is no better run, better paying, and well respected organization out there.

Blast away if you want to I have real tough skin...........but don't bite the hand that feeds, we need FLW.

Zack Thompson
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

I agree with all three of you.

Justin and Zack are so right. Those of us that have gone back East know how blessed we are to have an opportunity to fish the big time in our own back yards.

Pete-I feel your pain buddy. Paying sponsors are hard to come by these days. Plus, my wife just lost her job and she is 4 months pregnet. Money is not tight yet but it might get that way pretty quick.

For those of you who can afford to fish it and want to do it-I would suggest that you enter the event and test your angling skills at the highest levels. We can only miss something when we don't have it anymore.
TEAMDEADMONEY

Im all for the series...

Post by TEAMDEADMONEY »

I think its great that they are out here.

If I could afford it Id be signed up already.
I did the stren event at Havasu last year and had a good day one I was in 10th then I bombed the next 2 days...but it was a blast ans FLW is an awesome org. They are all extremely friendly and the are very organized. It was a pleasure to fish that event regardless of my finish..

Dam I hate having to miss this thing... anybody know anyone with an extra $4,000 they can spare for a Pro entry??? Cause I'll drop everything an go!!!

Pete 8)
PeteMarinoGuideService.com
spinnerbait82

Post by spinnerbait82 »

justin that was a great post we do need to back flw, so they will stay around, we need to have the best in the west stay. i have been backing flw for 4 years now first the stren now stren and guard. We need them to stay so we can all follow are dreams :D :D
taylor parsons

Post by taylor parsons »

Couldn't agree more guys. FLW is the one organization that makes it possible for western anglers to make it nationally these days, and we need to try and keep the dream possible for future anglers as well.

Thanks,

Taylor Parsons
drew

Post by drew »

Its not bad mouthing or negative comments on the forums that is decreasing the turnout. Its the poor economy. Many are out of work or working a reduced schedule.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Yes the economy is terrible but it isnt better in the east and they filled the first event of the BP Eastern Series. How can they fill back there, and we cant out here? Maybe there are too many circuits both Pro-Am and team spreading the expendable cash too thin?
Smitty
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Congrats on the one in the oven Ricky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tALLkAN

Post by tALLkAN »

Justin... your one hell of a stick. BUT.. Im gonna school ya in sept. on the delta in the backseat. MARK MY WORDS! 8)
brian stafford

Post by brian stafford »

Although I am just a backseater, I have commited to all of the FLW National Guards this year. None of the pros that I have talked to that are not going to fish this year have said anything negative about FLW. They all believe it is the best thing going in the west. And nobody could argue with any credibility that it isn't the best run tournament organization that we have ever had out here, period.

Many of them are small construction company owners that frankly are having a rough time financially right now. I fished with one of them this past weekend at Oroville. He finally has some work now and he couldn't take the time off or pass up a job to fish Havasu. Believe me, he would have loved to fish Havasu. Some of these guys are hard-core tourney guys that really are lamenting their inability to participate this year.

Other guys I have talked to have lost so much equity in their homes that it makes it impractical to finance these tourneys.

The west has supported FLW and will continue to do so once they can afford it. The problem is not people bad-mouthing FLW on these boards or anywhere else. We all know that the people that are negative about these orgs are typically people that look for negativity anywhere they can find it and really don't convince anyone not to fish these pro-ams. Most them wouldn't fish them even if they thought everything was perfect. Tourney fisherman love tourneys and will do all they can to fish...if they can afford it.

I personally hope that FLW sticks around through these rough times. If they do, and when the economy turns, they will be rewarded with full fields and lots of boat sales

Just my humble opinion.

Brian Stafford
phill strader

Post by phill strader »

FLW does put on the best tournament we have ever had out west..Turnover in anglers is a natural part of these circuits, so be very careful about blaming guys who have been supporting, and faithful to FLW since the beginning. We worked hard to support FLW, fill fields, and get the Series out here, but the success of the Series is always going to hinge on bringing in new blood. I do believe that if FLW redevelopes the same kind of consistency that they came out west with, they will fill the fields...again. Times are tough, but will get better, I would be very disapointed in FLW if they pulled out of the west over down numbers this year, it's not lack of support or loyalty (as some want to call it), it's timing and self created circumstances.

"You can't fish on scared money"

Phil Strader
BigJeff

Post by BigJeff »

Just got this email from FLW. Like many others, gotta pay the bills at home first before I go out and fish. Hopefully the economy turns around soon and I can get back out and support FLW. The tournaments are well run and I actually got a check out of one of the events. :D

Dear Jeff:

You’ve fished Lake Havasu with us in the past but are not yet entered in the March 25 - 28 Walmart FLW Series stop on the lake. Don’t let this opportunity pass you by. There are still pro and co-angler openings available, and your previous experience on the lake could lead to a $125,000 victory in the Pro Division or a $25,000 victory in the Co-angler Division. Payouts of $10,000 also extend through 50th place on the pro side based on a field of 150 boats.

Enter today and you could be on your way to the $2.5 million Forrest Wood Cup presented by BP and Castrol for a shot at winning $1 million in the Pro Division or $100,000 in the Co-angler Division. The top 20 pros and co-anglers from the FLW Series National Guard Western Division at the end of the season qualify for the Forrest Wood Cup.

Entry fees are $4,000 per event for pros and $700 per event for co-anglers. You may elect to fish single tournaments. Deposits for tournaments two, three and four are $1,500 for pros and $200 for co-anglers, with the balance due 21 days prior to each tournament.

Tournament Dates Fishery
· March 25 - 28 Lake Havasu
· June 24 - 27 Columbia River
· Sept. 23 - 26 California Delta
· Oct. 21 - 24 Clear Lake

You may enter online at FLWOutdoors.com or by calling 270.252.1000. Phones are open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central time Monday through Friday.

We look forward to seeing you on the water again soon.

Sincerely,

Chris Jones
Tournament Director
KPalmer

Post by KPalmer »

Havasu will be my first FLW tourney, so I don't claim to have any authority with this (temporary) suggestion, but I am throwing it out there any way. I know there will be all kinds of rebutles as to why this suggestion isn't a good idea, but keep in mind I am saying it is temporary until the majority of us are facing better financial times.....here we go:
My thought is, on tournaments that are unable to draw a full field, I think it might make sense to offer those spots for $2000 and $350 for non-boater to fill them up. Hear me out, there will be plenty of time to give me the beat down in a minute. Those that paid the lower entry fee, are not eligible for the same winnings either or even the same percentage compared to their entry fee....
If a 50% entry fee boater, won the tournament.......He wouldn't get 50% of the normal earnings either...because a lot of guys would wait to sign up late hoping the field wouldn't fill, just to pay the lower fee and still have a chance to win $50,000....My suggestion would be payouts more like $35,000 for a win, and $4,000 for top 50. Non-boater would follow same percentages. This would at least fill the fields and your reward is comparable to your risk....I think the entry would still be high enough to keep the Barney's out of this level of fishing.
(Again, I can't stress enough that this would be temporary)
Also, I don't want to get off topic from what Justin's suggestion is...His thoughts are the ideal situation, but we may have to come up with alternative ideas to keep FLW out here. Whether or not they agree is a totally different story.........OK, now you can blast me!!!
SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

Lets face it FLW can fill tournaments back east because everyone has a sponsor. Whether it is Joes tackle or Bob’s boat house. It’s a big thing there; we will never have that here because we will never have local sponsors. Flw helps get there pros sponsors But the rest of use are just paying the bills. I am with the rest of the pack $ is a big issue and if Flw want to pull out because of the tough economy then they aren’t supporting use either.
I hope this does not affined anyone but you need to look at both sides of the coin.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

KPalmer wrote:Havasu will be my first FLW tourney, so I don't claim to have any authority with this (temporary) suggestion, but I am throwing it out there any way. I know there will be all kinds of rebutles as to why this suggestion isn't a good idea, but keep in mind I am saying it is temporary until the majority of us are facing better financial times.....here we go:
My thought is, on tournaments that are unable to draw a full field, I think it might make sense to offer those spots for $2000 and $350 for non-boater to fill them up. Hear me out, there will be plenty of time to give me the beat down in a minute. Those that paid the lower entry fee, are not eligible for the same winnings either or even the same percentage compared to their entry fee....
If a 50% entry fee boater, won the tournament.......He wouldn't get 50% of the normal earnings either...because a lot of guys would wait to sign up late hoping the field wouldn't fill, just to pay the lower fee and still have a chance to win $50,000....My suggestion would be payouts more like $35,000 for a win, and $4,000 for top 50. Non-boater would follow same percentages. This would at least fill the fields and your reward is comparable to your risk....I think the entry would still be high enough to keep the Barney's out of this level of fishing.
(Again, I can't stress enough that this would be temporary)
Also, I don't want to get off topic from what Justin's suggestion is...His thoughts are the ideal situation, but we may have to come up with alternative ideas to keep FLW out here. Whether or not they agree is a totally different story.........OK, now you can blast me!!!

Bring back the BASS Opens..... $1000 entry fee, 150 boat full field, Pro/Co Angler Format (same as flw) 3 days fishing, field cut to 50 after 2. 45K first place prize to the winner..

And not to mention Classic Berths at stake and spots to fish the Elite Series..... FLW may give 1 million if your a Ranger Owner but I bet Skeet will make way more from winning the BASSMASTERS Classic than if he would of won the FLW Tour Championship including that extra half a mil...

Fire a way, i have my vest on! :roll:
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

These events are great as long as you run an evinrude and a ranger boat!
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

It's the economy, period.
No knock on FLW, but lots of people are worrying if they'll have a job, and be able to pay their bills. I don't know many who have $4K to throw down to fish, and the same for the companies who sponsor people.
Money's tight everywhere, unless you're AIG. :evil:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
some guy

Post by some guy »

:lol: I was thinking the same thing when you wrote that Mark. I can think of about 73 executives that can swing this :wink:
Last edited by some guy on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Justin your entry fees are paid for you and you deserve it. FLW has made MANY mistakes here in the past and some of those are biting them in the A$$. Everyone wants to blame the fishermen, do things right and you won't have a problem. FLW has been stubbing their toe, often. Here is a BIG problem, once the fields start to shrink, so does the payback, naturally. But, with a $4000 entry and expenses you basically break even when you make the money unless you hit the top spots. Once you miss the money once, you will be negitive for the year, BAD, unless you hit a top 10. Most fishermen do not make the money every event (someone has to lose). Now if the fields are full, then that's a different program. It's much easier to balance it out and even make money. FLW Series started basically with full fields (damn near) and it surprised most everyone. They need to look at themselves for screwing up most of this, but instead of doing that, they will blame the fishermen (naturally) and the economy. Do we need FLW?? HELL YES we do, but don't blame the anglers. Try listening to them for once. And while I'm at it, why are ALL the Championships in the East?? I can answer that one. It's a shorter drive for us to go there then for those guys to travel here. Why don't we get a better schedule with no spring breaks, away from Memorial and Labor day weekends, and better places at better times???? We need full fields for this to work, it's much easier to keep the fishermen than run them off and try and find replacements. FLW is short on "cheerleaders" at the moment. Justin you are trying and deserve credit for that.
Brian

Post by Brian »

some guy wrote:hahahaha i was thinking the same thing when you wrote that Mark. I can think of about 73 executives that can swing this :wink:
YEA, NO CHIT........ WHAT A CROCK THAT IS....... :evil:
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
some guy

Post by some guy »

yeah its pathetic.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
t.rath

Post by t.rath »

Personally I'm thankful for FLW being out here. After fishing my first tournament with them a few years back, I didn't want to fish anything else. They run a tournament the way I thought it should be run, and I agree that Chris Jones is the best in the business. Anyway, does anyone have a reliable number on how many boats they've got so far?
Brian D.

I'd love to play in this derby

Post by Brian D. »

but like everyone else I gotta spread out my tourney $$ for the entire year. I've budgeted about 4Gs's for all of 2009. This includes local circuits, opens, rallys, and a few out of state trips. Fortunately I still have my day-gig, but not sure for how much longer. Its best to be fiscally prudent.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Garrett Mercer

Re: I'd love to play in this derby

Post by Garrett Mercer »

Like everyone has said, I would also fish if they were not 4k..... Could I come up with the 4k to fish it? Yes, however I would want to fish the whole series if I was going to fish one. With that being said, its a $22,000 season once you factor in expenses to fish the NG's. Yes the payouts are great, but thats 3 seasons of fishing BASS Central Opens..... For me, Id rather drive the 1700 miles one way to each tournament to get to fish 3 seasons of BASS Opens. I took a nose dive at the first one at Toledo a few weeks ago, but I can tell you 9 days on that lake will teach you a lot. For me, it makes more financial sense to fish 3 seasons vs 1 regardless of payouts. However, if I could afford it, no doubt I would fish the Central Opens and FLW West Series.... Even if there entry fee was $2,000, I would fish, 4k is just too big of a ball to bust.

I agree with Hollywood, if you bring back the BASS Opens to the west with $1,000 entry fee's I bet you see them drawing some good #'s...... Not to mention a chance to quallify for the classic and elites....
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

Garrett Mercer wrote:Like everyone has said, I would also fish if they were not 4k..... Could I come up with the 4k to fish it? Yes, however I would want to fish the whole series if I was going to fish one. With that being said, its a $22,000 season once you factor in expenses to fish the NG's. Yes the payouts are great, but thats 3 seasons of fishing BASS Central Opens..... For me, Id rather drive the 1700 miles one way to each tournament to get to fish 3 seasons of BASS Opens. I took a nose dive at the first one at Toledo a few weeks ago, but I can tell you 9 days on that lake will teach you a lot. For me, it makes more financial sense to fish 3 seasons vs 1 regardless of payouts. However, if I could afford it, no doubt I would fish the Central Opens and FLW West Series.... Even if there entry fee was $2,000, I would fish, 4k is just too big of a ball to bust.

I agree with Hollywood, if you bring back the BASS Opens to the west with $1,000 entry fee's I bet you see them drawing some good #'s...... Not to mention a chance to quallify for the classic and elites....
+ 1

I can eat 1000.00 but I'm not putting up 4000.00 a trny for just the entry fee

I would LOVE to see BASS come back out here with the opens
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

I too received a telephone call from FLW a couple of days ago asking for my continued support and to help with getting the word out to fill the fields. Honestly, I was a little upset and angry because of this call... 2008 was my rookie season with FLW, and I fished all four events. I did so running a CHAMPION BOAT with a MERCURY motor, which translates to zero TV or magazine exposure for my sponsors. I STILL fished the entire series and, YES, paid my own way. I made the choice to eliminate all other circuits I would normally support (WON, NBW, ABA, US Anglers Choice, and others) for an opportunity to fish the best we have out West. FLW is a great organization, Chris Jones is awesome, and last season was a blast. I am signed up for the Havasu event, and put deposits on others. FLW, I do support you, just like many other Western anglers. We hope that you stay, but us "part- time" pros paying our own way really do have to pay our bills first...
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
Jim V.

Post by Jim V. »

Congrats wanabedaddy :D
Nick_Barr

Post by Nick_Barr »

Hope the Columbia River event gets some #'s as I am fully paid to fish it as a co-angler this year.
http://www.NickBarrFishing.com
President, Eastern Washington University Sportsman's Club