Rod-Reel

reddragon

Rod-Reel

Post by reddragon »

Hey everybody im pretty much new here and new on some of the other bass forums.. i've been asking around for a set-up rod and reel that would give me a good all around feel. what i mean is if i wanted to use it for spinning, jigs, lures, cranks, plastics, etc. that i could. These are what some of the others have told me to look at what do you guys think? I would love to get your opinions, also my price range is in the 150 range thanks..

the bps proqualifier combo $160
or
the st. croix mojo+extreme reel $150+
or
maybe the president reel w/ the mojo $150+
or
a used
6'6" st. croix avid medium power/fast action with a curado 100d $150+25 shipping

thanks guys let me know on your opinions
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: Rod-Reel

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

None of them would be a totally bad choice, although they probably wouldn't be the perfect choice either..Truth be told to get the best performance for the various lures you listed, you would probably need at least three different rigs..Could you do it all with just one, of course you can, just as you can play 18 holes of golf with nothing but a nine iron, although I wouldn't want to..

Of those you listed, I would probably go with the last choice as a good starting point, it is difficult to find a better reel, the rod is a great one and if you send the reel in to ReelEx for service and cleaning, you will have a combo that can be used for most or all of your lures..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
reddragon

Post by reddragon »

ya thanks bro i was leaning towards the last one also a lot of people were telling me that it was a good deal, but just dont know how good of shape the rod and reel would be... but really i basically use plastic worms 5-7 inches and senkos would this be a good choice for that??
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

I would think it would be fine for Senkos and such..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
reddragon

Post by reddragon »

thanks mac, seems like this site is not as friendly as others haha because you're the only one with an opinion on this topic while on the other forum i had about 10 others post what they thought would be good for me, must be that everyone is busy fishing :D
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

Like others have said for all of what you want to do you need three rods. Although I started with one bait casting rig and one spinning rig. Berkeley lightning rods are pretty good for the cost and an Abu Garcia is an awesome workhorse of a reel. May not be the smoothest or furthest casting but it is a brute.

The last option seems suited for worms and senkos, I just suggest you look at the equipment before you buy. Make sure the guides are all there and that the ceramics in the eyes don't have any cracks or chips that might cut your line. Check the reel to make sure it runs smoothly and that all functions such as drag, spool tension and level wind work properly.
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
Saechao

Post by Saechao »

just get an okuma reel and a shimano clarus rod

depening on rod type..casting or spinning

okumas are awsome reels for the price and clarus holds
a lifetime warranty :) cant beat that for 150 ish rod reel combo
reddragon

Post by reddragon »

TomAtkeson wrote:Like others have said for all of what you want to do you need three rods. Although I started with one bait casting rig and one spinning rig. Berkeley lightning rods are pretty good for the cost and an Abu Garcia is an awesome workhorse of a reel. May not be the smoothest or furthest casting but it is a brute.

The last option seems suited for worms and senkos, I just suggest you look at the equipment before you buy. Make sure the guides are all there and that the ceramics in the eyes don't have any cracks or chips that might cut your line. Check the reel to make sure it runs smoothly and that all functions such as drag, spool tension and level wind work properly.
thanks for the heads up Tom, but i cant really check out the equipment because the guy that is selling it is in NC so imma have to take his word on it, but if i do get the set-up if anyone has a left hand retrieve baitcaster worth about equal to the curado i could swap since im more used to left handed retrieves...