Trolling Motor Batteries

Doug Hodel

Trolling Motor Batteries

Post by Doug Hodel »

I bought batteries a little of a year ago, I have maintained the water levels, kept them on my charger, but the last two fishing trips they have died way to early.

Any suggestions?
Mitch

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries

Post by Mitch »

Sounds like you didn't buy a deep cycle battery. Make sure you get a marine or RV deep cycle. I use the Optama Blue tops and can run 2 days without recharging under normal conditions. I've never run out even on a rough windy day. Last set lasted 4 yrs and had warrentee still left on them. You can go to other good wet batterys too like Trojans. You get what you pay for, but make sure they're DEEP CYCLE
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
batteryandy

Post by batteryandy »

Try charging them one at a time on another charger at 2-5 amps over night. if that dosn't work see if you have any warranty left. If you need batteries or someone to test them call me Andy Interstate battery sacramento (916) 921-6074.
batteryandy

Post by batteryandy »

Try charging them one at a time on another charger at 2-5 amps over night. if that dosn't work see if you have any warranty left. If you need batteries or someone to test them call me Andy Interstate battery sacramento (916) 921-6074.
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

Or you could just go to Costco and get new ones for 69 bucks. And this thread will never come up again. Trade them in within a year for a full replace and you will never have a problem. Mine have lasted 5 years on my other boat I forgot to take in and replace, so I think they are not only the best, but the cheapest IMO.
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

brambo0311 wrote: And this thread will never come up again. .
:lol: :lol: LMFAO :lol: :lol:
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
DougH

Post by DougH »

brambo0311 wrote:Or you could just go to Costco and get new ones for 69 bucks. And this thread will never come up again. Trade them in within a year for a full replace and you will never have a problem. Mine have lasted 5 years on my other boat I forgot to take in and replace, so I think they are not only the best, but the cheapest IMO.
What brand are the Costco batteries?
Doug Hanson
96 white/green Skeeter 200 EFI
"Quagga Killa"
2000 Dodge Cummins "enhanced"
Elkhorn camper
** Clean and Dry **
some guy

Post by some guy »

optima blue tops have treated me well.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

NO, no, no ... not another battery thread :twisted:

I've used the Walmart Ever-Last batteries in may last THREE boats ... NEVER had one fail prematurely. I use them, take it home and charge it till I use it again. I buy the biggest ones they sell, I think they're series 29 Marine batteries. Typically last me 3-4 years ... not bad for a $70 battery! :D
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

Sounds like they are slowly dying if they are walmart specials, which is what I have. Charge and see if they will hold a charge with one of those whizzbangs that measure that kind of stuff. Yes whizzbangs....Make sure the connections are free of rust and dirt. Sounds like they are done though. If so take them back to walmart and they will give you a 10.00 recycling. If a was a baller I'd have the Optimas
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

I have used the wal-mart/everstarts for ALONG time but my boat has the Interstates in it and when there done, I think I'm going to have to try the blue top Optimas JUST Because I want to get those Nice batt holders that Tom Makes for them 8)
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
PapaJohn454

Post by PapaJohn454 »

I added MinKota battery equalizer to my trolling motor batteries as soon as I bought them, (2 years ago from WalMart, big yellow ones) and have never had any trouble. Available from lots of places.

http://www.thefind.com/family/info-battery-equaliser

This place is having a sale:

http://www.powerstridebattery.com/produ ... oduct=7593
PapaJohn
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, Jesus, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
PapaJohn454

Post by PapaJohn454 »

I added MinKota battery equalizer to my trolling motor batteries as soon as I bought them, (2 years ago) and have never had any trouble. Available from lots of places.

http://www.thefind.com/family/info-battery-equaliser

This place is having a sale:

http://www.powerstridebattery.com/produ ... oduct=7593
PapaJohn
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, Jesus, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

DougH wrote:
brambo0311 wrote:Or you could just go to Costco and get new ones for 69 bucks. And this thread will never come up again. Trade them in within a year for a full replace and you will never have a problem. Mine have lasted 5 years on my other boat I forgot to take in and replace, so I think they are not only the best, but the cheapest IMO.
They are Kirkland Brand. I have heard they are made by johnson controls. But I have heard they are made by Interstate to. The battery itself looks Identical to a interstate. Its a 69 dollar battery that will work just as good as a 249 dollar battery. And if it doesnt, take it back. Or take it back when you dont feel like charging it. They have a better return policy than are prison system. End of story.
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

I have heard they are made by johnson controls. But I have heard they are made by Interstate to.
JCI (Johnson Controls) makes the Interstate.

I'm not going to go into my usual I love Interstate rants as I have in the past. I'll let batteryandy do that, as it appears he has a vested interest in them. Might as well get paid for it, I surely don't.
I had to come back...I know...
batteryandy

Post by batteryandy »

Just so you know i've been working with battery for 20 years, was with battery systems for 15 yrs & now interstate for 5yrs . if you want Interstate , trojan , optima's I can give you a good deal on any of them. Just tring to help us bass guys out . Cell # 916 871-6393
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Why would you fellas buy a nice trolling motor and outboard and then go cheep with the batteries? I don't get that!!!! Go buy you some optima blue tops and then thank me later.
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
biteme

Post by biteme »

Who has the best deal on the blue tops?
batteryandy

Post by batteryandy »

costco is your best deal on optima and Interstate will even warranty them to.
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

brambo0311 wrote:
DougH wrote:
They are Kirkland Brand. I have heard they are made by johnson controls. But I have heard they are made by Interstate to. The battery itself looks Identical to a interstate. Its a 69 dollar battery that will work just as good as a 249 dollar battery. And if it doesnt, take it back. Or take it back when you dont feel like charging it. They have a better return policy than are prison system. End of story.
Bought a Costco battery for my motorhome a couple of months ago. They are Kirklands (Costco's house brand) ... the one I got for my m/h was made by Exide
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
MJNEMEC

Post by MJNEMEC »

I know the automotive buyer for Costco, all Kirkland batteries are made by JCI (Johnson Controls). Best return policy there is.
Throw wood in the morning