Four meters?

adman

Four meters?

Post by adman »

I am curious why so many of the pros now have FOUR meters on their boats. Anyone know the answer? Besides the "because they can" answer.
kopper_bass

Re: Four meters?

Post by kopper_bass »

adman,
when do you see Pro's with 4 meters on their boats?

Not sure i really have seen that, but an explanation could be the following:
1 - 1 of the "meters" is actually a biosonix machine.
2 - Some guys have the Humminbird side imaging and leave it setup just for that and use a seperate meter for traditional fish finding.
-or -
3 - your TV (or eyes) is fuzzy & out of focus and your getting a "double" image. :D
just kiddin.

explain what you've noticed cause i would be interested to know.

Thanks,

Kopper
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
DL

Post by DL »

when do you see Pro's with 4 meters on their boats?
Ike had four on his boat at the last Elite event. Maybe its so he has a backup in case one of them gets the boot :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuBzZxZG6so

Two on the console and it looks like 2 on the bow...(flush mount and gimbal/gimble)
"Feel the steel"
adman

Post by adman »

And I saw some pro, forgot who it was talking about the importance of batteries and he said "I have four meters plus..." and I thought what in the hell am I missing here...I suppose backup could explain it but you'd think they would just have a spare in a compartment rather than up where it would just take up more space...and do any pros actually use biosonix?
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I'm guessing they have a fore and an aft flasher also.
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

i checked out that video of Ike and the only thing i can think of in his case is this:

- his boat was pre-rigged with some basic equipment (for future resale) and he then added his sponsored/preferred stuff on the gimble mounts.

otherwise, i have no idea. obviously the flush mounted equipment is smaller and is the only stuff that fits in their. the gimble mounted equipment he has is h"huge".

that's my guess.

Kopper
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
DL

Post by DL »

and do any pros actually use biosonix?
KVD uses it, and talks about using it. If someone gave me a BioSonix unit I would use it, but I ain't shellin out 600 clams for one..
"Feel the steel"
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

Probly the factory rigging plus the extra gimbal mounted stuff, hell when I get my Sonar/Chart for the side of the console and the sonar up at the bow, I'll have three, (got a flush mount on the console, and space for one up front!)

I would expect that the newere boats have a big enough openings to flush mount those HUGE units.
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
bassrockstar

Post by bassrockstar »

Skeet specifically has said he has the two extra units for on the water back up in case of unit failure or transducer failure. I'd do it too if I could and $100,000 was on the line.
big_limits

Post by big_limits »

What i would see as beneficial, especially fishing deep open water, would be one 4 boat positioning(gps) and one to fine tune position(looking at the bottom structure, fish, bait, etc.). This would eliminate having a split screen up and allow u to expand ur image more???????????????????
green_monster

Post by green_monster »

"Work is for people who don't know how to fish!" unknown

http://www.folsombassteam.com
DanO

Post by DanO »

It serves a couple of purposes.

First, they have the ability to choose the unit they use based on the type of fishing they are doing. In shallow water, they may use a smaller unit, then turn to the bigger units for deep water finesse angling; giving them a bigger screen to look at, and more zoom capabilities.

Secondly, as green monster said, is redundancy. They have the ability to switch units if one goes down. Some of them are now also rigging a separate GPS antenna in case they have a failure of the main one. THey can simply plug in the other one and be back in business.

With the units now being set up on a network in the boat, everything is in sync, making it a cohesive fishfinding / navigation system.

A lot of them also have the new Biosonix RF300 installed as well, and not just the sponsored anglers either, I know several pros that are purchasing them and installing on their own.

Like someone mentioned, if I was fishing at that level, or even the National Guard trail, my boat would be setup this way too. It just makes too much sense.

DanO