Abu Garcia Pro Max or Bass Pro Shops Extreme?

crankster123

Abu Garcia Pro Max or Bass Pro Shops Extreme?

Post by crankster123 »

I was thinking of buying either the Abu Garcia Pro Max or the BPS Extreme baitcast reel. They are in the same price range, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
Life is good today
-Zac Brown Band
RogerB

Re: Abu Garcia Pro Max or Bass Pro Shops Extreme?

Post by RogerB »

Of course, Abu Garcia reels are legendary for their performance and durability...my son is still using an original Ambassadeur 5000 (the red one) I got as a wedding present 46 years ago! If the Pro Max has the features you want, you probably won't go wrong with it.

I recently bought the new BPS Extreme flipping model (with a 7 1/2 foot BPS Extreme flipping stick) and I am very impressed with the build quality and castability of the reel. It is a very small reel, with a frame about the size of the Curado 100...fits in the palm very nicely since I have small hands! Its bearings enable it to cast extremely well. The drag is smooth and strong enough for 20 lb. line. It is a great buy when BPS has them on sale for $59.95 (like they did recently and will probably do so again). Just make sure you get the new Extreme series. BPS is still selling the previous model, built on a larger frame (priced at only $39.95). Bottom line: I recommend the new BPS Extreme reels and will be getting another soon.
Please practice CPR (catch, photo, and release)
...RogerB
WishinIwerFishin

Re: Abu Garcia Pro Max or Bass Pro Shops Extreme?

Post by WishinIwerFishin »

crankster123 wrote:I was thinking of buying either the Abu Garcia Pro Max or the BPS Extreme baitcast reel. They are in the same price range, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
I think the pro max is a graphite frame, not sure but I checked them out and there was no mention of an aluminum frame(that usualy means graphite.....JUNK). I would get the extreme, it has an aluminum frame and is built very sturdy. I had one and realy liked it and would buy another if I were looking in that price point. Abu Garcia does make some very good reels and their old reels are bullet proof(I still use a black max from 94' and it runs as smooth as new). But all manufacturers make cheaper versions of their good reels to meet a particular price point. You won't be disapointed with the extreme....I only sold mine because I was switching almost all my reels to shimano's and my cousin needed a new rod/reel combo so I hooked him up.