What Do You Think of the Castaic for Flippin/Pitchin?

Mark-C

What Do You Think of the Castaic for Flippin/Pitchin?

Post by Mark-C »

Is the bi-directional clutch bar more of a gimmick or is it a great feature for experienced bass fisherman? At $170 it is right there with the new Curado in price.
bantam1

Re: What Do You Think of the Castaic for Flippin/Pitchin?

Post by bantam1 »

Its not a gimmick. Some people like it and others do not. It all depends on your fishing style and demands. I know Gary Yamamoto loves the Castaic :wink:
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Not a Gimmick - just a tool and one that I use - here is an excerpt from a post in regard to pitching with the Castaics

I have two left handed Castaics that I use for Flipping and Pitching. I enjoy both of them, however I rarley use the clutch bar when pitching and do use it when flipping.

I dont think the clutch bar is a MUST have for these techniques, It is convienant when flipping at different depths- but this is not the case most of the time.

I do find I use the clutch bar much more for Carolina rigging and Football head jigs on structure lakes, where I click the thumbar to let my jig freefall down and instantly engage it back and forth.

For me switching over to left handed reels has improved my flippin and pitchin much more then the Pitchin reel.
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and got one and will try it out soon :D
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

I have 4 or 5 five of the original models with the full bar across......AWESOME!!!!! I have had them about 5 years and the only problem I have had is I just toasted the drag on one last week when I was punching out on the river. I am right handed and only use baitcasting reels that are right handed. They allow me to stop the spool while switching hands....hopefuly that makes since.
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
EastCoastLurker

Post by EastCoastLurker »

Any chance Shimano will ever re-introduce a Castaic modeled on the original -- with the reengaging mechanism all the way across the top?????
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

I'm not sure. Some people loved it and others hated it. It seemed that the majority hated it and this is why we went with the new bar design.