4x4 vs. 2WD

Share vehicle info.
Joe W.

4x4 vs. 2WD

Post by Joe W. »

I'm in the market for a truck right now. How many people tow and launch their boats with a 2wd vehicle? What ever truck I end up getting is going to be a daily driver. Right now the boat I have can be towed with basically anything it's just a 14' Aluminum. I am most likely going to get something bigger in the near future but probably not a huge boat. Most likely a 17-18' tracker or something similar. Will a 2wd truck like a Tacoma or Ford Ranger with a V6 be able to pull and launch a fairly small boat no problem? I don't really go many places that have really bad or slick launch ramps so I am thinking I can get away with a 2wd. Besides that, insurance is less, gas is less and it's all around less expensive to own a 2wd vehicle.

Opinions?
DeltaDan

Re: 4x4 vs. 2WD

Post by DeltaDan »

Have seen people at the ramp pulling a 21' bass boat out of BBreak marina at low tide with a Honda Odessey van !! :shock:

I have never had to engauge 4x4 for any boat I have..... Driving up I-5 with the overdrive off ........ Yes. :wink:
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Gator

Post by Gator »

If you have no other reason than launching boats to worry about, go 2WD. I happen to hunt, so I have to have a 4WD. There may ba a ramp or two where the extra weight and 4WD will help you but should be few and VERY far between. Check out Hayward Toyota. Good people and good prices - also a site sponsor!!
Joe W.

Post by Joe W. »

Thanks guys.
j10b

Post by j10b »

I KNOW this is 2 years OLD. But for anyone reading I wanted to add that you generally need the weight on back tire when things go south anyways so have someone stand on the bumper and off you roll