3/4 & 1 Ton Arki Jigs For Punching ?

Guy Kelley

3/4 & 1 Ton Arki Jigs For Punching ?

Post by Guy Kelley »

Marty's Post started me thinking bout the heaver Arki and Foot Ball Headed Jigs to use for punching the Mats and Hyicen.

I have a few of the leadhead Jigs with out skirts laying around in my tackle bag.

Any reason I could not dress em up with a skirt and beaver and use these for punching as well as the tungsten heads ?

I notice that in all applications the bullet weight is used, I guess for ease of slipping inbetween the opening of the hyicen plants is the main reason.

What is the main reason for using tungsten and not lead at $7.00 for two or one its a little pricey.
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
Rod Martin

Re: 3/4 & 1 Ton Arki Jigs For Punching ?

Post by Rod Martin »

I was thinking about using a bullet head worm weight and a egg sinker together, would that work instead of $7
FR0G

Post by FR0G »

The problem with jigs and punching is they hang up easily and don't go into the mat as easily as a pegged 1 1/2 tungsten texas rigged plastic would. Just get with the program and spend your money on these weights. They are worth it! Punching is tons of fun and can bring in some big bites.
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

Problem with the archie head is that it's a 'blunt' head. I would think you want to get something that's more pointy to help penetrate the vegetation ... in years past, folks used to make flipping jigs like that. But I can't seem to find them any more. However there's a few that looks kind of pointy and have a 1oz weight:

Also, 1oz in some cases is not enough ... so ... maybe this is a business opportunity for someone! :lol:
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Guy, the main reason for using tungsten instead of lead is the physical size of the weights..A one ouce tungsten weight is smaller than a one ounce lead weight..An arkie head jig or a football head jig can be used, but you have to try and find openings in the cover to really use them effectively..I have had some luck flipping and pitching Wadda Jigs into the openings of the perriwinkle and dead tules as well as any of the cheese or grass mats..If you can find the holes, you can catch them using a jig..

mac
Last edited by mac (Doyle McEwen) on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I am planning on trying punching, But that doesnt mean I am going to pay these prices, without looking at cheaper ways of doing it.
Phil

Post by Phil »

WHY NOT THIS BULLET JIG
YOU TELL ME THE COLOR
[albumimg]851[/albumimg]
BASSTUD

Post by BASSTUD »

I paid the money for the tungsten weight cause they are smaller then lead witch gave me that much more confidence, but i couldnt bring myself to pay the money for the puching skirt and hook setup,I just use a chiggercraw or double wide beaver with a pegged weight and glass bead. I havent had any luck but then agian i havent committed a whole day too puching, have just done it here and there in the coarse of a day. Probly the reason i cant catch anything over a pound and a half right now lol
twister

Post by twister »

Phil wrote:WHY NOT THIS BULLET JIG
YOU TELL ME THE COLOR
[albumimg]851[/albumimg]
Phil,

I think it will work if the hook was a EWG with a screw attachment. The head should also weigh at least 1 oz. As is the head you attached is too light, not 100% weedless, and too bulky to punch through the stuff Bub Tosh is fishing. Yes you can penetrate the hyacin where there are holes but you can penetrate the thick mats with cheese. With the new attention around "Punch Skirts", I'm sure someone will design a 100% weedless punch jig in the near future. And it will cost less than $7.
Delta is beast

Post by Delta is beast »

BASSTUD wrote:I paid the money for the tungsten weight cause they are smaller then lead witch gave me that much more confidence, but i couldnt bring myself to pay the money for the puching skirt and hook setup,I just use a chiggercraw or double wide beaver with a pegged weight and glass bead. I havent had any luck but then agian i havent committed a whole day too puching, have just done it here and there in the coarse of a day. Probly the reason i cant catch anything over a pound and a half right now lol
why is it that people think they have to use the punch skirt to punch. what do you think people were using before the punch skirt came out, regular beavers, paca craws, chiggercraws etc. the punch skirt was designed for bigger bites for where u want to throw a jig and cant.
dont b a turkey
Phil

Post by Phil »

twister wrote:
Phil wrote:WHY NOT THIS BULLET JIG
YOU TELL ME THE COLOR
[albumimg]851[/albumimg]
Phil,

I think it will work if the hook was a EWG with a screw attachment. The head should also weigh at least 1 oz. As is the head you attached is too light, not 100% weedless, and too bulky to punch through the stuff Bub Tosh is fishing. Yes you can penetrate the hyacin where there are holes but you can penetrate the thick mats with cheese. With the new attention around "Punch Skirts", I'm sure someone will design a 100% weedless punch jig in the near future. And it will cost less than $7.
i'll do it, give me a few days !!!!
Imhooked

Post by Imhooked »

Some of the hyacinth is so thick, I wish there was a 2oz tungsten available and if it was $10-15 each, I'd still buy it. I'm still on the fence about the skirt. It seems like with or without a skirt, as long as I can get anything through the weeds and if there's a bass there, they'll hit it.. and hit it hard.

If you miss a hook up, you can follow through with something different. I've punched with senkos, craws, beavers.. it doesn't seems to make a difference.. they just hit it.

Post by Guest »

Why do you guys want to go to the trouble of trying to make a 1 to 1 1/4oz punching jig when you already have one of the best rig out there that just came out in the punch skirt system it a simple rig too use and you can use just about any trailer you want if it the cost that stop you that a small price to pay for something thats a proven winner from what i have read. Ive been custom building jigs for a very long time and ill go with the punch skirt system before i try building a jig thats and 1 1/4 so i can get through a few mats the bulk of the jig itself is to hard to get through the thick mats to begin with if you have a strem line system like the punch skirt rig then you dont need anything else and this is coming from a guy that 99% of the time i throw jigs year aound. Again there nothing that will compare to the punch skirt system that even includes a jig. HE COULDNT HAVE MADE IT MIGHT SIMPLIER FOR YOU GUYS TO USE AND CATCH FISH ON.
j10b

Post by j10b »

bulktungsten.com Get them cheap. Tungsten are great because you dont peg it . You can flip it up in the air and it will get some speed to punch. Then you can use the weight as a hammer to punch it through the really thick stuff.

If you use a jig all you can do is use the swing flip and hope you get enough speed to punch it through.

Thats why an unpegged tungsten weight does so much better.
Phil

Post by Phil »

HOW ABOUT THIS 7/8 OZ
[albumimg]852[/albumimg]
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

PHIL,

7/8 th ounce, what size hook? I am sure it might get a smaller bait through the stuff......... Not sure about a full size brush hog.

........anyways, specs? and cost? i'm interested.

Steven
eddremax

Post by eddremax »

Best thing about the skirt is the junk comes off a lot easier.
Ed

Post by Guest »

D & M custom baits make a 3/4 oz to 1 1/4 oz jack pot flippin jig and there a trailer included
Phil

Post by Phil »

aNNieNsaLTIE wrote:PHIL,

7/8 th ounce, what size hook? I am sure it might get a smaller bait through the stuff......... Not sure about a full size brush hog.

........anyways, specs? and cost? i'm interested.

Steven
CAN NOT AD ON HERE. GIVE ME AN EMAIL IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW. CAN NOT AFFORD TO GET KICKED OFF HERE AGAIN. I HAVE ALREADY STEPPED OUT OF BOUNDS...

THANK YOU
PHIL
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

So what about the difference between painted or unpainted? Does it matter? I 've always used painted tungsten cause I thought the finish was too shiney.

organ