Good Boat Deal, or Not?

mr.bass91

Good Boat Deal, or Not?

Post by mr.bass91 »

Well I have been looking to upgrade my boat to a larger fiberglass rig for most of the year. Then my wife got laid off in May but she is now back to work(for the time being). I passed on a couple good deals earlier in the year but have found one that I am seriously considering. Its a 2003 triton Tr20 DC. I would rate the boat to be about a 6 or 7 on a sclae of 1 to 10. Its in pretty good shape overall with a few scratches on the hull here and there (normal wear and tear). Carpet an upholstery are in pretty good shape. The boat has about 200 total hours and a 225 optimax on the transom that has only about 100 hours on the current powerhead (lost a powerhead while under warrenty). One of the most appealing things to me about the boat is that it is LOADED with all the goodies,awesome color FFs with GPS and a 36V minn kota as well as a stealth on-board charging system. I have been haggling with the owner on the price for a couple weeks and he says 15K is as low as he will go. So what do you guys think, pretty good deal or not? My local dealer says they will give the boat a complete check-up for about 150 bucks and I won't buy a used boat without a mechanics approval. Any feedback you guys have on this boat would be greatly appreciated.
offduty

Re: Good Boat Deal, or Not?

Post by offduty »

I would think that is a fairly good deal. I would have the motor put on the computer at your local boat mechanic and look at past rpm's and compression. Personally I would not buy anything on a single axle trailer that is that size.

Rich
mr.bass91

Post by mr.bass91 »

Thanks Offduty, Yea I would definately have the motor hooked up to the computer prior to purchase. This boat actually has a single axle trailer and that concerned me as well but I do not normally fish anywhere that is farther than 50 or 60 miles from my house. My buddy had a 2004 198 champ that rode on a single axle trailer and never had an issue and I know that is a heavier hull than the Triton so it should be ok as long as the tires and trailer are sound.
bigbass111

Post by bigbass111 »

Great deal.....15k for a 2003 with 100hrs on the new powerhead.

That boat is going for 3-5k more than that on the market. As long as the powerhead clears with good compression I would jump on it. You cant go wrong with that rig either..
biteme

Post by biteme »

Remember the factory but it on a single axle. I had a 520 that was a single axle. Never had any problems. If you buy it replace the leaf springs just to be safe. Its cheap insurance. Spring will run ya about 100.00
drrakruz

Post by drrakruz »

mr.bass91 wrote:Well I have been looking to upgrade my boat to a larger fiberglass rig for most of the year. Then my wife got laid off in May but she is now back to work(for the time being). I passed on a couple good deals earlier in the year but have found one that I am seriously considering. Its a 2003 triton Tr20 DC. I would rate the boat to be about a 6 or 7 on a sclae of 1 to 10. Its in pretty good shape overall with a few scratches on the hull here and there (normal wear and tear). Carpet an upholstery are in pretty good shape.
How did you arrive at a 6 or 7 out of a 1-10 scale? 6 sounds pretty low. If I were buying a newer boat such as this, and plan on keeping it for a while, I would want it to rate a minimum of 8. Using this scale, you can tell a lot about the way a boat was taken care of, or not taken care of by the previous owner.
Sponsors:
M & M Marine, Lincoln, CA
[img]http://www.evolutionmarine.net/images/mercury.logo.gif[/img]
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!
WishinIwerFishin

Post by WishinIwerFishin »

mr.bass91 wrote:Thanks Offduty, Yea I would definately have the motor hooked up to the computer prior to purchase. This boat actually has a single axle trailer and that concerned me as well but I do not normally fish anywhere that is farther than 50 or 60 miles from my house. My buddy had a 2004 198 champ that rode on a single axle trailer and never had an issue and I know that is a heavier hull than the Triton so it should be ok as long as the tires and trailer are sound.
The single axle trailer will be fine, my Javelin 409(20') sits on a single and I tow it far with no problems. As long as you keep up on trailer maintenence you'l have no problems with it. A dual axle is nicer but being single wouldn't hold me back from getting a good deal. .
mr.bass91

Post by mr.bass91 »

drrakruz, I rated it 6 or 7 because I would not rate it in mint condition. This Triton appears to be in good condition, the carpet and upholstery look decent and by just glancing at the outboard and transom they appeared to be in good shape but I don't think the owner was the type of guy that waxed it each week or never took it over 4,000 RPM's. The guy has only had it out a few times all year, if it was cleaned up a little it would probably even impress me more. The best part about the boat is the fact that it has all the bells and whistles. Like 4k worth of graphs alone.
offduty

Post by offduty »

To each his own, For me a tandem axle trailer is good insurance as blowouts do happen. A blowout on a single axle trailer can be quite devastating at high speeds.

I have run a lot of calls in my day and have seen plenty of rollovers due to blowouts some pretty tragic. Your boat will also fish tail less behind your vehicle. I'd also recommend a trailer with brakes.

Whatever you get go through everything between the tires and trailer and I mean everything. Don't forget the vertical bolt that goes through the center of the leaf springs centering them. You do not always get grade 8 hardware from the factory. and in areas like that that is all I use.

After 15 years of towing 2 different single axle boat trailers I told my self I would not do it again. One boat was 15'6" and the other 18'6". and I replaced all the important pieces for safeties sake and still had problems with both and regular maintenance. Bottom line is fecal matter happens.
Rich
Scott Robertson

Post by Scott Robertson »

I have a single axle trailer for my 19 ft ranger and i like it better. I have to push my boat at anagle in the garage and couldnt do it with a dual axle. I travel with mine and never had an issue. good luck scott
bent rods to all good luck.
2005 angler of the year ABA High desert region.
2018 2nd place AAA us open
Bassman35

Post by Bassman35 »

I think you should buy it and let your good friend help brake it in.
LOL
offduty

Post by offduty »

Talk about ironic, I got a flat on the way to Casitas this morning.
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

[quote="offduty"]To each his own, For me a tandem axle trailer is good insurance as blowouts do happen. A blowout on a single axle trailer can be quite devastating at high speeds.

I have run a lot of calls in my day and have seen plenty of rollovers due to blowouts some pretty tragic. Your boat will also fish tail less behind your vehicle. I'd also recommend a trailer with brakes.

Whatever you get go through everything between the tires and trailer and I mean everything. Don't forget the vertical bolt that goes through the center of the leaf springs centering them. You do not always get grade 8 hardware from the factory. and in areas like that that is all I use.

After 15 years of towing 2 different single axle boat trailers I told my self I would not do it again. One boat was 15'6" and the other 18'6". and I replaced all the important pieces for safeties sake and still had problems with both and regular maintenance. Bottom line is fecal matter happens.
Rich[/quote]

Well said, although I tow my ranger 19.5 with a single axel. I do go completely through the trailer one time a year and do the bearings, keep the tires aired up to mfg recommendation etc with out any problems, for 9 years. A two Axel system dose make life better if that is what it comes with.

As to the boat it self,

Are you buying a boat or electronics ? A 6 yr old Triton 20 ft at 15 K is not a good deal in my book. You are buying some one else s problem for $15,000.00 Dollars with no warranty or assurance that it wont blow up on you in a month, that you your self said it's a 6 out of 10.

I bought a 6 yr old Ranger myself in 2000 for 15.5 K that was a 9 out of a 10 at the time. It has cost me over 15 K over the years to keep it going including the 12K insurance aided restoration job and the 8 K Engine Re-build also insurance aided that C & C Marine in Modesto has done for me over the years. That's Y it looks like a 9 out of a 10 still today. these do not include all of the other little nick knacks that i have spent.

BOAT.......Break.......Out..........Another....Thousand.

You might want to keep on looking !
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
offduty

Post by offduty »

Check out Bass Boat Central on the internet. there are all kinds of boats for sale and you can compare that Triton to the others on the site.
RMARX

Post by RMARX »

If your buddy is my buddy it was a tandem axle trailer and it was a pain in the *** to maneuver around in the garage, I like my single axle trailer just inspect the leaf springs real good as that gets ugly when they snap on you. He needed the dual because he does not drive under 85 MPH on the way to and from the lake...My opinion, I would not buy a Triton too narrow in the front and between the consoles, if I were you I would get a pontoon boat it will save you money in the long run!