Mat, What Sticking Mat – I have a New Designed Weight!!!

Marty

Mat, What Sticking Mat – I have a New Designed Weight!!!

Post by Marty »

This year I have put a lot of time into Punching Mat and have tried a lot of different methods and equipment. I have added the Bub Tosh Skirt, the Brian Day Parasite Clip, and now I’m adding Danny Miller Punchin Weight! With each addition the level of my punching has gone up 10 fold. I offer the Bass a full body delectable bait, my baits last all day long, and now I can punch into any mat and get out with easy.

The first photo shows what I’m using!

Here are the new Danny Miller Punchin Weights. Go ahead and laugh, this weights work like no other weights.

Here is the start of setting up two rigs:
The top one is just a one oz weight and the Parasite Clip. I used a bobber stopper about 6 to 8 inch about the hook and the weight is lose between the bobber stopper and the hook.

The bottom setup is a one and half oz weight with skirt and Barrel Swivel. I add an additional bobber stopper just above the skirt to keep the skirt sung against the bait.

I have talked about the Parasite and Barrel Swivel on the below link.
http://westernbass.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= - 354368

This photo I have it all sung down just like it will be fished – I wish I could see your faces now.
Yes - This is how this weight is fished – you need the 6 to 8 inch and the weight must not be sung down to the bait as in other methods of punching. I will cover it more in the last photo below.

This is the way the set up looks as it is going into the mat. The idea is the weight entry first and the bait will follow with no resistance or pulling from the mat. Note the sharp end of the weight and the hole on the side of the weight allows this to happen. The weight also exit the mat as if there is no mat.

I know this is a weird setup but it works and look for some of the top Pro’s using this on the Delta. Have fun fishing it. O – here is the web site = www.punchinweight.com
offduty

Re: Mat, What Sticking Mat – I have a New Designed Weight!!!

Post by offduty »

Sweet set up Marty, Thanks for all the pics and details. I will give it a go as soon as I can pick up all the tackle.
Rich
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

Pretty cool....I have yet to even try this type of fishing but there seems to be some pretty good ideas/inventions lately...
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Sweet Richard !!

Are those weights Brass ? And what is the pricepoint for them ?

Thanks again BrothA Marty for sharing !
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
SKTR 20i

Post by SKTR 20i »

Marty, what knot are you using?? It looks like a loop in the line

John.
snapitoff2002

Post by snapitoff2002 »

That's pretty cool.. but if I ever fish with you, I'm going to wear armor lol.
Josh Palmer

"Champions keep playing till they get it right"
rich mendoza

Post by rich mendoza »

yea those things are sharp you need to be very careful with them. and yes they are brass.
Owner @ canopygrenades.com
cib11b

Post by cib11b »

I usually throw a bowlling ball in the mat to make a hole then fish in it :lol: Maybe I will try your idea.
Ohh son!! That's a 4, 5 ,7 8, 12 punder son!!

2016 Ranger Z175 Lime Green Fusion!
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Bowling balls can get expensive, especially if you can't retrieve them and use them again..I have found big rocks are easier to find and cheaper on the Delta..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

SKTR 20i wrote:Marty, what knot are you using?? It looks like a loop in the line

John.
I thought at first it was a loop too. But it turns out to be the flash shadow from the fishing line.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

mac (Doyle McEwen) wrote:Bowling balls can get expensive, especially if you can't retrieve them and use them again..I have found big rocks are easier to find and cheaper on the Delta..

mac

+2

- But believe it or not~ Some bowling balls actually Float on the water !! :shock: I once retrived a bowling ball out of Sand Creek from the back yard in Brentwood as a kid while it was bobing and floating down some 200 yards before it intersected into Marsh Creek. I don't remember the poundage of it - but I do know that my mom ended up using it for her women's league back in '79 or so.

I also cought my first and only King Snake ever that very same day as well. Never have seen another King snake since that day - and I never have retrieved a bowling ball from Sand/Marsh creek as well.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Is that the box of rocks my Dad said I was dumber than..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

Thanks for the third in your series of informative post! :D

I have a couple of questions for you. Do these work with the Punching Hook? I see one in the first picture but not one rigged up. Which works better? I like the idea that a snelled straight shank hook (eg punching hook) swings the point when pressure is applied. Still happen with that setup? I would try to experiment but all my toys are on the boat right now :cry:
Marty

Post by Marty »

Just got off the water and had a real good day – No I did not do that much punching – the jig and spinner bait bite are on!

DeltaDan, yes the weights are machined Brass

SKTR 20i, I always use a Snell knot – I think the loop is one of the rubber strands for the skirt but it could also be a flash shadow as Long Nguyen said. He is better at taking photos then I am.

cib11b, Off course you would use a bowlling ball, your infantry

Mac and Dan go find your own rock pile!

Civicrr, Yes a straight shank will work and I think most Pro’s use a straight shank but I’m having problems with the straight shank. I seem to be missing to many hook sets plus I find it hard to keep the point of the hook in the bait – but that is just me. I using Owner Wide Gap and I believe my hook up rate is better. The Snell knot is a little harder to tie but it works the same as straight shank in swinging the point upward – IMO.
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

Marty, thanks for the answer. Gonna have to try those clips out for punching. Funny thing, I used to use 'em for skipping plastics under docks. Kinda forgot about 'em.

Dan, check out this link http://millerpunchinweight.homestead.com/
Be warned, those weights ain't cheap!!!
liveSTRONG

Post by liveSTRONG »

And here I thought the Tru-Tungsten weights were expensive.
Brian

Post by Brian »

liveSTRONG wrote:And here I thought the Tru-Tungsten weights were expensive.
No kidding :shock: $13 per weight no matter the size?
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
Topwater All Day

Post by Topwater All Day »

Yeah they are expensive, but you only need 1 and if your using 65lb braid, you ain't gonna lose it!

I'm sure if Danny is putting his name on these weights, they will work great! I know he's put a lot of time and effort into testing these weights to make sure they do what they are supposed to do - to get your bait down where the fish are, quicker and easier!!!

Rob
liveSTRONG

Post by liveSTRONG »

Topwater All Day wrote:Yeah they are expensive, but you only need 1 and if your using 65lb braid, you ain't gonna lose it!

I'm sure if Danny is putting his name on these weights, they will work great! I know he's put a lot of time and effort into testing these weights to make sure they do what they are supposed to do - to get your bait down where the fish are, quicker and easier!!!

Rob
Better not have butterfingers, that'd be awful to lose when in the water while trying to tie your rig up!
fisheryan

Post by fisheryan »

For you guys who haven't punched yet or are punching an 1.5 ounce tungsten I'm sorry because you're missing out. Personally, I love punchin' but by the time you repeatedly can't get the tungsten weight and your bait through the mat along with picking off all the slime off its enough to make you go crazy! With the Miller Punchin' Weight It can make punchin' fun and easy by going through the mat effortlessly. With the design of the weight, it goes in and out of the mat easily, and most importantly keeps the slime off the bait. I can make 6 casts in and out of the mat with the Miller weight when my back seater only gets 2 through at best with tungsten. How much would you pay for a product that actually works? Even though they are expensive, I get Huddlestons and Lucky Crafts simple because they catch tons of fish and work tremendously. I now place my Miller Punchin' weight right next to them for the same reason.
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

in the first photo you show some o-rings - don't see them in any of the other photos - ??
"I'll just drop it on their head, and then rip their lips off with a TV hookset..." <i>unnamed angler when discussing how he fishes a jig</i>
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

fisheryan wrote:Even though they are expensive, I get Huddlestons and Lucky Crafts simple because they catch tons of fish and work tremendously. I now place my Miller Punchin' weight right next to them for the same reason.
Good point. I don't seem to have a problem ponying up the $$ for those baits. I actually don't think those weights are overpriced for what they are considering the mfg'ing cost. It is just shocking to pay that much for a 'weight'.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Mike, look at the tips of the bait (beavers)!
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

see them, interesting

I've been using 1/2oz bullet weights in a similar fashion with the big ends butted using keepers to keep them tight (have tried glueing them together with a glue gun too with a red ball from a carolina rig in the middle, limited success), creates a similar shape. tried mismatched weights on the bullet heads with the heavier one on the top to create a tip down condition like you get with this weight.

/martha stewart mode
"I'll just drop it on their head, and then rip their lips off with a TV hookset..." <i>unnamed angler when discussing how he fishes a jig</i>
fisheryan

Post by fisheryan »

just go with the miller punchin' weight and you'll never have to deal with the hastle again.
620 Dude

Post by 620 Dude »

Mike D..try using electrical shrink tubing instead of glue just put the point of the bullet wts. pointing out each end there you go. I've been using big egg sinkers done that way to save money...it works and way cheap!
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Very interesting setup! I'm going to have to test it out on the water in the future. Thanks for sharing, Marty!

-Skunk
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

The cost scared me at first too. Then I started to remember how I've had to bang Triple Trouts and Huds into rock piles to get a decent bite, so it's all relative.

Haven't tried the weight yet, I'm still trying to get on Danny's Pro staff :D !
I had to come back...I know...
NaCl

They're on sale right now...23% off!

Post by NaCl »

I've used this new design for punchin slop in the Delta and I was impressed. Danny's offering a limited time sale on his punchin weights until the end of this month.

http://www.millerpunchinweight.com