Yamaha's new outboard engine

Brian D.

Yamaha's new outboard engine

Post by Brian D. »

Anyone with inside scoop know what they're gonna put out? A newer/better version of a Verado-type engine?

From Bassfan.com: Yamaha's set to reveal some big news next month about what appears to be a new bass-boat motor. No word at all on what it's all about, except that it's going to be exciting. In fact, Yamaha's holding a special event next month in Chattanooga, Tenn. for the unveiling. The event is described as the biggest new-product event in the company's history. Stay tuned.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
FRANK D. LOZANO

Re: Yamaha's new outboard engine

Post by FRANK D. LOZANO »

My contacts say that it is a 10,000 rpm 4 stroke motor that they say will change the marine industry. They say it is a motor capable of spinning 12k rpm detuned to 10k rpm.

Yamaha is a pretty conservative company but they are really excited about it. This may explain why they dropped the HPDI in California knowing they had this in the wings.

I personally am looking forward to seeing them and hope they are as good as they say.

Frank
Frank Lozano
Inland Marine Inc.
1600 West 10th Street
Antioch, CA. 94509
www.inland-marine.com

www.legendbassboats.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.evinrude.com

[img]http://www.inland-marine.com/images/INLANDMARINENEW2007_001.JPG[/img]
896J

Post by 896J »

If those motors turn out as good as the rumors, my little 200 2.5L Merc might be replaced with a 200 Yamaha VMax 4-stroke. I keep hearing that the weight for these new 4-strokes is going to be in the ballpark with 2-strokes, I hope this is true. That said, some of those yamaha 4-stroke PWC's have 165 HP from a tiny little 4-cylinder motor. My neighbor has one of those PWC's and I couldn't believe how small the motor was, especially for a 4-stroke. Hopefully, the price will be the same as the HPDI outboards they're replacing.
j10b

Post by j10b »

896J wrote:If those motors turn out as good as the rumors, my little 200 2.5L Merc might be replaced with a 200 Yamaha VMax 4-stroke. I keep hearing that the weight for these new 4-strokes is going to be in the ballpark with 2-strokes, I hope this is true. That said, some of those yamaha 4-stroke PWC's have 165 HP from a tiny little 4-cylinder motor. My neighbor has one of those PWC's and I couldn't believe how small the motor was, especially for a 4-stroke. Hopefully, the price will be the same as the HPDI outboards they're replacing.
Sure hope they figure out how to keep the power throughout the powerband, or its gonna be a LOOOOONG holeshot.

That or a transmission. getting to 10k is gonna take a LOOOONG time.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Also sure hope they figured out how to keep the weight down... those Verados are one heavy mutha!

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

tunaman wrote:Also sure hope they figured out how to keep the weight down... those Verados are one heavy mutha!

Roger
As of right now I hear there only about 22lbs more then the HPDI and if you take out the oil tank weight in the boat there REAL Close to the same

I'm not a big fan of the 4's we have right now but I'm looking forward to see these with a 20" shaft they may have hit a home run but time will tell.
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

I really liked the Verado when I rode on a Z21 with one (Won Pro/Am at Mead) - it is real quiet (REALLY REALLY quiet!) even WOT, and the powerband was pretty decent. They're just way too heavy for a tournament bass boat.

If Yammie got that right, I'd expect they'll sell a ton of 'em.

Roger
rich mendoza

Post by rich mendoza »

Owner @ canopygrenades.com
j10b

Post by j10b »

There are a zillion factors that go into that. Props etc. In my boats case if I put one prop on my holeshot is sick, but topend sucks.

Unless it has more than one gear, you will get one or the other. Holeshot or top end.

1: the boat on the right is trimmed higher, look at the wake, the one on the right is farther back
2. the boat on the right has a powerpole. Seems it was biased test.
Andrew Jackson

Post by Andrew Jackson »

...And the critics come out to play. You must not own one. A Merc guy? No matter what the make, if that motor can hit them specs from above post. Watch out! A new Jaguar and that motor. Sweet!
rich mendoza

Post by rich mendoza »

if they carry over the sport bike technalogy. those new outboard engines could hit 12k rpm no problem.
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

If any company can figure out high rpm 4-stroke technology it will be Yamaha. Why would they fake a test? We will all know if it is BS or a revolutionary change after the first few hit the market. Not many secrets in the fishing business. I would love to buy a good performing motor that allowed me to hear myself think while running.
j10b

Post by j10b »

Skeptic? No you guys dont seem to realize that bikes and cars have GEARS to keep it in the powerband. There isn't a motor built that can output max HP and Tq throughout the WHOLE power band.

Most high reving cars( because a boat weighs what a car does) are usually dogs off the line or you risk breaking parts. IE s2000 requires a scary clutch dump to get the numbers they put out. Usually guys leave the driveshaft in the staging area.

Boats dont have more than ONE gear.

Fake a test? Never said that, but thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Its easy to see the bow angle of the 2 boats the one on the left has a lower nose. The one on the right has a powerpole, not that 50 pounds will kill it but it shows the test is not sterile.
IE two of the same boat both setup to run.
See I can give you a 26p prop and you will have sick holeshot and ZERO top end.
Or I can give you a 30pitch and your holeshot will suck but you will rock on the top end.
At least in MY boat thats how it works
FRANK D. LOZANO

Post by FRANK D. LOZANO »

Possible dual prop technology and or a 2-speed gearbox. Acceleration and bite with German torpedo dual prop technology is unbelievable.

Look at the different prop wash turbulence between boats in the video.

Frank

Frank Lozano
Inland Marine Inc.
1600 West 10th Street
Antioch, CA. 94509
www.inland-marine.com

www.legendbassboats.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.evinrude.com

[img]http://www.inland-marine.com/images/INLANDMARINENEW2007_001.JPG[/img]
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

The marine industry is way behind on 4 stroke innovation....I remember back in my motocross days when 2 strokes ruled...Then Yamaha came out w/ the YZf 400 and 426 and changed everything...

Maybe they will do the same with the outboards?
j10b

Post by j10b »

FRANK D. LOZANO wrote:Possible dual prop technology and or a 2-speed gearbox. Acceleration and bite with German torpedo dual prop technology is unbelievable.

Look at the different prop wash turbulence between boats in the video.

Frank

That would be believable and unbelievable performance. Good luck when that stuff breaks though.
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

j10b, I was not putting words in your mouth. Just saying that Yamaha can hype the new motor all they want but within weeks people will know the exact capabilities. I hope they have a new mousetrap but we will soon know. I agree that it seems impossible to get the balance between hole shot and top end. I do believe they will shed the weight which is a big deal.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Way back in the dark ages (1950's & 60's) we ran Mercury OB's that turned 10K+ prm's up to 500 miles during indurance races.
I don't see any major issues with a 4 stroke OB turning 10K and the prop issues aren't any different today then 40 or 50 years ago.
A bass boat loaded with gear and full livewells puts the weight at the back of the boat and that is a problem to overcome when demanding both top end speed and quick planning time.
One solution is variable pitch props and it will be interesting to see what Yamaha has to offer.
Tom
Jim Moulton

Post by Jim Moulton »

Bucksnort. Not to pick on you but it takes a 450 four stroke to beat a 250 two stroke. A four stroke dirtbike motor weighs more than a two stroke motor. They have cut the weight in other areas of the bike to make up the diffirence. If Yamaha can do the same with an outboard it should be good.
As long as the outboard motor companys continue to try and improve thier products us fishermen will reap the benefits. Remmber the old carb motors on how much fuel and oil they burned? Jim
www.teamccmarine.com
C & C Marine
Modesto Ca
209-526-4120
Ranger Boats
j10b

Post by j10b »

Ringer wrote:j10b, I was not putting words in your mouth. Just saying that Yamaha can hype the new motor all they want but within weeks people will know the exact capabilities. I hope they have a new mousetrap but we will soon know. I agree that it seems impossible to get the balance between hole shot and top end. I do believe they will shed the weight which is a big deal.
:wink:

Gotcha

As a pilot I have flown with VPP. Thats a variable pitch propeller.

You have no ideas the issue with that unless its auto controlled. Its going to take a LOT of learning to get it right.
Sorry but the cost of repair. Seeing there are no logs, gators, rocks, stumps, sandbars, different weights in the air and water if the prop surfaces, in the Air. All of that exists in the water.

Like Tom said. demanding a top end and acceleration is going to be expensive or interesting. If they figure it out... no one will own a merc.
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

Jim Moulton wrote:Bucksnort. Not to pick on you but it takes a 450 four stroke to beat a 250 two stroke. A four stroke dirtbike motor weighs more than a two stroke motor. They have cut the weight in other areas of the bike to make up the diffirence. If Yamaha can do the same with an outboard it should be good.
As long as the outboard motor companys continue to try and improve thier products us fishermen will reap the benefits. Remmber the old carb motors on how much fuel and oil they burned? Jim
Jim, The 4 stroke motors got really light when they shortened the stroke and got rid of all that metal....

And now the 250 4 strokes are kicking 250 2 strokes ***'s.....

I agree w/ the fisherman reaping the benifits...However I believe most of Yam's money for R&D gets spent on dirt sports and we have to wait for it to run down hill into the marine ind.
Byron

Post by Byron »

Which 4-strokes are beating who's 2-strokes ? They might be blowing away the E-tecs but I don't think they are beating the black ones.
rich mendoza

Post by rich mendoza »

byron, your gettin ahead of us. the last few posts are about dirt bikes.

if they got a supercharger on a verado, could they put a turbo on the yamaha?
Last edited by rich mendoza on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Byron

Post by Byron »

Oops!!! Screwed up there. Maybe Suzuki should install a Hayabusa motor on a 20" lower.
R. Duzac

Post by R. Duzac »

Can anyone remember when Honda came out with the Oval Piston 4 stroke to compete with the superbikes?

It was around 1980.
It also had about 150 HP with a readline around 17K RPM.

I've looked for articles because it was a really engineering piece of work. If anyone has a URL to with information on it please post it or send it to me.

Back then they said the first place we would probably see the technology was in the Marine Industry.

Thanks,
Rene
Brian D.

Rene

Post by Brian D. »

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Paul Cormany

Post by Paul Cormany »

The rumors I heard, and I repeat rumors, they will be offering only 200 & 250 HP in 2010. Anyone hear anything different?
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

BuckSnort wrote:
Jim Moulton wrote:Bucksnort. Not to pick on you but it takes a 450 four stroke to beat a 250 two stroke. A four stroke dirtbike motor weighs more than a two stroke motor. They have cut the weight in other areas of the bike to make up the diffirence. If Yamaha can do the same with an outboard it should be good.
Jim, The 4 stroke motors got really light when they shortened the stroke and got rid of all that metal....

And now the 250 4 strokes are kicking 250 2 strokes ***'s.....
250 4-strokes are still not producing the power of a 250 2-stroke. Besides that, they are far heavier. My 2002 RM 125 2-stroke makes ~30HP, which is as much as a brand new 2009 CRF 250 4-stroke makes. Take into consideration the power to weight ratio and you have yourself a faster 2-stroke CC for CC. My bike's dry weight is 180lbs. a 250 4-stroke weighs in at 250lbs.
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Yamaha has some awesome 4-stroke MX technology. I'm looking forward to c how this new outboard performs and hope all the bugs will b worked out when it's time for my new sled..

as for the MX remarks,,, just to level the claims, refer to Yami's 2010 line up...... YZ125cc (2stroke) weigh n at 208lbs, a comparable YZ250F (4 stroker) weighs about 225lbs and will kill the 2-stroker on a track..... better low end torque and smoother power delivery..... those small 2-strokers turn on like a light switch,,, but that same explosive power which is a draw back for dirt traction is a plus for outboard hole shot.... different arenas

a YZ250 (2 stroke) weighs about 229lbs compared to a YZ450F at about 245lbs.. the bigger CC bikes are much more competative against one another on a track

comparable HP 4-strokes will always be heavier, but tend to make up for the weight with other advantages.... and Yami's titanium valve MX strokers are capable of screaming RPM'S well into the mid teens....... I hope their new outbaord is the schnizzle
big_gorilla

Post by big_gorilla »

Cormany, shouldn't you be hunting somewhere? ha ha

I for one am excited to see what Yamaha is going to do. The only thing we can hope is that they will live up to the hype. I for one love my HPDI and can only hope Yamaha is only going to get better.
First one in the box settles the nerves!
biteme

Post by biteme »

j10b wrote:Skeptic? No you guys dont seem to realize that bikes and cars have GEARS to keep it in the powerband. There isn't a motor built that can output max HP and Tq throughout the WHOLE power band.

Most high reving cars( because a boat weighs what a car does) are usually dogs off the line or you risk breaking parts. IE s2000 requires a scary clutch dump to get the numbers they put out. Usually guys leave the driveshaft in the staging area.

Boats dont have more than ONE gear.

Fake a test? Never said that, but thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Its easy to see the bow angle of the 2 boats the one on the left has a lower nose. The one on the right has a powerpole, not that 50 pounds will kill it but it shows the test is not sterile.
IE two of the same boat both setup to run.
See I can give you a 26p prop and you will have sick holeshot and ZERO top end.
Or I can give you a 30pitch and your holeshot will suck but you will rock on the top end.
At least in MY boat thats how it works
I owned a R1 sportbike that would do 108mph in 1st gear :shock:
bassinDerek

Post by bassinDerek »

Tin Can we got to go riding i got the same size bike i got a 2001 KX 125 2 stroke and i smoked a 250f on mine he wasnt good tho but 2 strokes got the speed and top end but a 4 stroke is heavier will carry the power out unlike a 2 stroke you always have to stay on the gas for speed and top end
FISH TO LIVE LIVE TO FISH
Derek Jantz
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

i talked with some insiders at the us open and from what i was told the new out board will be the biggest thing to ever hit the boating world.i have worked on a project with yamaha in the past a offroad race car called the xt rally it had a yamaha gennises bike engine they would never let us see the inside of it.i do know that we could pick it up by hand it made 480 hp at 13.000 rpm.it pushed a 4wheel drive car 120mph in the dirt.cant wait.
punk bass
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

The new 4 stroke Dirt bikes are lighter than the 2's
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

I sure love my yammie 250 HDPI
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
j10b

Post by j10b »

biteme wrote: I owned a R1 sportbike that would do 108mph in 1st gear :shock:
what did that R1 weigh? 1700lbs? How much of that bike was on the road? IE friction? :wink:
Corey Fenske

Post by Corey Fenske »

j10b,

Dude, it sounds like you know everything about this. Why is it that you are not the one designing the product. Oh... right, Yamaha knows what they are doing. Why dont you quit being so anti 4 stroke and just let the multi billion dollar company come out with their product, and when the motor is faster than what you drive, be the first to come on this forum and give Yamaha pat on the back and say good job.If anyone knows how to make a 4 stroke run, Yamaha is the company.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Corey Fenske wrote:j10b,

Dude, it sounds like you know everything about this. Why is it that you are not the one designing the product. Oh... right, Yamaha knows what they are doing. Why dont you quit being so anti 4 stroke and just let the multi billion dollar company come out with their product, and when the motor is faster than what you drive, be the first to come on this forum and give Yamaha pat on the back and say good job.If anyone knows how to make a 4 stroke run, Yamaha is the company.
That was my point :wink: Thanks
M. Warner

Post by M. Warner »

boy j10b, why the hell dont you just go work for yamaha since you know so much about everything. Do you think that they will put something out on the market that wasnt correct. Look at the mercury optis when they came out, they had problems, everyone has problems. You have gotta be a merc guy, nothing wrong with them, i have never owned a merc just a yamaha. but i would believe they have everything worked out on it, and from the email that i have recieved from yamaha, that new yami looks great and it will run great.
j10b

Post by j10b »

M. Warner wrote:boy j10b, why the hell dont you just go work for yamaha since you know so much about everything. Do you think that they will put something out on the market that wasnt correct. Look at the mercury optis when they came out, they had problems, everyone has problems. You have gotta be a merc guy, nothing wrong with them, i have never owned a merc just a yamaha. but i would believe they have everything worked out on it, and from the email that i have recieved from yamaha, that new yami looks great and it will run great.
Not merc guy. Just not believing a video that shows obvious differences if you have a clue how a boat is trimmed.

next a wicked holeshot is usually accompanied by lousy top end. So unless they have different gears, IE a button to switch, there will be an issue with top end.

Its NOT a sports bike. the Boat weighs 1500+ pounds. Just because you have no clue how engines work there is no need to throw stones.

Walked into a powertech last week and they said the same thing. There had better be a gear change or VPP. Then you are going to have expensive breaks. Unless Yamaha has a huge warranty that gets people to switch then they are into the boat for $$$

All i care about is speed. Thats why I run 83+ in tournament trim. If I can dump the 10 props I have and get an end all be all motor I am ALL FOR IT.

I have just seen so many claims that cant be backed up and Guys like you buying motors that because a "TEST" said it was that fast thinks their boat is that fast..... in the meantime I blast past you at a mind numbing 73 mph.... :roll:
M. Warner

Post by M. Warner »

Hey there John Brown, for one 73, my skeeter with a 225 yamaha does that, 73 mph, and you must not be fishing tourneys around here as a boater, because i have never heard or seen you on mead, besides the open, where you are a back seater, whatever,. All i wanted to say is that YOU know everything about everything, go build the motor for yamaha then, and stop bashing on them about the motor. And of course i am going to be happy for yamaha, there one of my SPONSORS. Doesnt mean i will buy a fourstroke, but with what i get from yamaha, your damn right, there the best motors I have ran.
j10b

Post by j10b »

M. Warner wrote:Hey there John Brown, for one 73, my skeeter with a 225 yamaha does that, 73 mph, and you must not be fishing tourneys around here as a boater, because i have never heard or seen you on mead, besides the open, where you are a back seater, whatever,. All i wanted to say is that YOU know everything about everything, go build the motor for yamaha then, and stop bashing on them about the motor. And of course i am going to be happy for yamaha, there one of my SPONSORS. Doesnt mean i will buy a fourstroke, but with what i get from yamaha, your damn right, there the best motors I have ran.

you are so pathetic, No sponsor Bias here is there?. I dont fish out here. Im just here for 3 years then I get to go back east.

I was joking about my 73... as in I dont even have my foot to the floor when I go flying past you at 73. Its close to 5k RPM

Sounds like you have a case of " fly my sponsors flag so I can say I promoted the product"
PATHETIC

And you can't even get my name right. Its cute of you to try and bash my fishing results...... as if that has ANYTHING to do with fast boats. Which yeah my boat isnt here and includes 2 top 15s one is a win and a lousy finish this year. You should ask my pros their thoughts of me. You would be surprised. I have never heard of you either.

No I run a Bullet 21XRD which is NOT in Nevada. I run 83GPS in tournament trim, full gas, livewells, 2 people with all their gear. Only about 78-80ish in rough stuff. Its 21 feet and 10 inches.

Keep flying your flag for your sponsor though. I mean WHO CARES if its true or not, all you care about is "sales" Right?

FYI your skeeter doesnt hit 73 except on the interstate. Nice try though. :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just saying as a guy that has been close in 90 in my boat ( a 20XD with a 225) and I dont even consider myself a decent driver. I mean heck I am friends with the Bass class Speed record holder. So I do have a little of an idea of what boats look like when they are trimmed to run.
Thats the first thing everyone that actually drives a fast boat notices. The "NEW" motor's boat is trimmed much farther down. Also the Roster tail on the "stock" boat is way lower than the "NEW" motor. Just proves its NOT setup the same.

So WHY would Yammie not set both boats up the same? I mean trim position is EASY! Let me ask some of my buddies that are drivers for most of the big names and I will get back to you. I hope you are right but the video is showing a LOT of interesting things that point against it
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Guys - please let's keep it civil? Any questions, please be sure to familiarize yourselves with forum rule #6.

Roger
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

I remember the day when the Mercury Supercharged Verado was going to "remake" the boat business. Keep your panties on. Couple things to consider, let them get the bugs out, and new technology is not cheap. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
biteme

Post by biteme »

This thread is getting funny. Soon we'll find out what the real deal is, good or bad. I wish Yamaha luck or anyone else that tries to improve our power plants.
Andrew Jackson

Post by Andrew Jackson »

Actually the real reason the other boat was slower is because it was in the slower lane. Might as well use that excuse too.
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Some things never change around here, so I won't either.

Have any of you been in a boat pushed by the new series two HPDI? That motor screams and sounds like a well tuned indy engine to me. My cheeks were flapping and eyes tearing up from grinning ear to ear, and I wasn't even operating the boat!

While I commend the industry for for trying to keep our earth blue and meet CARB standards and all the other agencies that know better than us. Unless this is some new radical design of some type, I think we'll find it's the same old new product hype that some of us go gaga over when some thing "new" comes out.

I really hope they pull it off, but I'll wait and see.....
I had to come back...I know...
Team Davies

Post by Team Davies »

I have two Skeeter ZX 225's one has a 200 HPDI the other has a 200 four stroke 08 model. The F-200 four stroke is only 4 mph slower and gets 40% better gas mileage and don't use any oil. At the WON fish off at mead we got the 08 model up to 64 mph with 50 gallons of gas full of tackle and 2 people. Burned $40.00 of gas on day one at $2.65 per gallon, we fished down in Greggs Basin.