what line for 1/4 oz speed traps on the delta

aNNieNsaLTIE

what line for 1/4 oz speed traps on the delta

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

Rod, Reel speed n line size? I know there may be sometime i may have to rip a speed trap out of some grass, so i thought about braid, but i hear a lot of "no braid cranking"...

Thanks,
Steven
R.Cook

Re: what line for 1/4 oz speed traps on the delta

Post by R.Cook »

I personally like braid for any cranking in the grass on the delta... just use a little softer rod. A powell 754cb with 30lb power pro is a great setup for cranking any grass on the delta.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

I'm not a delta expert, but I've been using speed traps for a long time. I'n my opinion a Dobyn's 704cb glass with 10lb flurocarbon..P-line or yo-zuri (the brands I've liked) is more than suffcient. I've been using braid more often lately, and have really liked the power pro.... maybe the 20-50lb.

The only draw back of a braid is the possibility you might pull it out of thier mouths, but a glass rod or glass hybrid should allow for enough shock absorbsion.

as for reel, everybody is hot for the low spped reels like the diawa zillion cranking reel, but I've havn't seen the need yet and use tehe revo s 6:1 with fine results.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

well i was going to go braid...... but i was listening to a pro who lost a lot of money from cranking with braid....... But for speed traps i figure guve it a try since i don't loose to many fish ripping with braid... i have a great calstar that is glass.. i think i am going to give it a try!

Steven
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Speed traps on the Delta... braid is king. Helps to cut the grass when you're in it, and the fish aren't line shy here as they are on some of the more clear reserviors.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
bassmonster

Post by bassmonster »

20 pound flourocarbon.
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

bassmonster wrote:20 pound flourocarbon.
REALLY? What brand of fluoro and reel you throw that speed trap with?? LC BDS baits maybe (heavier) ... but with a 1/4oz speedtrap and 20# fluoro? Hmmm ...
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
Marty

Post by Marty »

tunaman wrote:Speed traps on the Delta... braid is king. Helps to cut the grass when you're in it, and the fish aren't line shy here as they are on some of the more clear reserviors.

Roger
What Roger said!

Steve – one of the main reasons to use braid on the Delta is to make sure you don’t lose your lure when you pull it through the weeds. You want to get caught in the weeds because when you pull hard to get the lure out is when the bass is going to hit it. Use a stout rod with a fast to mid action tip and your reel should be a 7 to 1 – I don’t know the names of the rod or reel I use because I have not be sponsored yet.
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

My lightest mono is 10 pound BG.

There is a thing about being so tight, or in touch with the fish it can create errors. But for different reasons, people dig braid or flouro.

A good reason to go down in line test with mono is dive depth. You can notice the difference when you have several setups with with the same bait, the only difference being line diameter.

Another tip would be check out a Timber Tiger DC-8 in the same color. It weighs in at 1/2 like a Bomber, casts well with baitcast, and was designed by the same guy. (The original Speed Trap was designed to be cast with spinning equipment in mind, because Tom Seward cranked that way.)

They have the same high cyclic rate characteristics, fixed ballast weights, plus other snag resistant features.

I don't really fish for them anymore, but the DC-8 is just as much of an achievement as the Speed Trap which was also one hallmark of design.

.02 A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

Lamiglas Crank N Blade, Ambassaduer Record with 12lb PLine CXX - I have this set up with me EVERY trip. I have tried endless combos (diefferent rods, reels, and line) and this is hands down the best. Great castability, feel, action, and plenty of power. I am not a pro, but even if I was I would have this combo in my boat. Just my .02
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
Delta is beast

Post by Delta is beast »

flippin stick with 65 # PP. many fish actually stack hooked with this because of the no stretch and stout rod the hooks really get in the fish good and it is really simple to rip the bait out of the weeds
dont b a turkey
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

what would be a good crankin rod for the delta. i didnt know if I wanted a real crankin rod or a stiffer rod becasue it is the delta. should i make this a new thread?
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
Delta is beast

Post by Delta is beast »

id go stiffer because of the grass.
dont b a turkey
davet.

Post by davet. »

I've used a Kistler crankin stick for a long time (can't recall the exact model), paired with 15lb Seaguar floro (it's versatile for lakes also) and a Shimano Chronarc MG, tosses them speed traps a mile. I use a high speed reel cuz they don't call em Speed Traps for nothing. And when a fish comes straight at ya, it's better to take up line fast.
I don't understand the low speed thing....just slow down your reeling. It's just like a motor, you can never have too much power, but you can easily have not enough.
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

I got 2 rods ready. 1 rod is a 704cb and the other is a sb/cbr 765. I am going to try both rods. one will have the 30lb braid and the other 15lb seguar fc. We'll see.........

Steven
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

I dig BPS cranking sticks, but carry a stiffer rod to rip rattletraps out of the grass.

I think of it as two different ways to crank. You can feel your way around with a crank, and let it float back away from grass. Wander it around, like worming, but not being too forcefull.

Or you can crash into stuff, banging it off everything. Ripping free from the grass falls into this catagory for me.

Speedy reels are handy when you are reeling back with the current, the way bait flows. A really slow reel stinks at this in a faster piece of water. Without high speed, the bait will never achieve its maximum depth, it will be floating by with the fast current faster than you can reel.

Slower reels work better for me at lakes, when plying deep divers.

.02 A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

I'm told - flouro can hinder a cranks(lipped) natural ability to bounce off of or float off of stucture.For this reason,and others I recently switched to a braid , and or mono leader combo.Too early to tell yet though, and I'm not a big crankster , just tryin to use it more. :roll:
~ Tony