BASS PRO SHOPS??? WHY

JT-Madera

BASS PRO SHOPS??? WHY

Post by JT-Madera »

I had been looking forward to shopping at BPS Mantica since they opened. Today I got the chance. What a disappointment. Drove up from Madera thinking about my visit to the BPS in Springfield,Mo. that store takes two days to go through, the Mantica store =thirty minutes!!!! My opinion;

Friendliest clerks anywhere and knowledgeable about what they have =Plus 10
Selection =minus 10
What a waste of space, I would rather shop at
1. The Hook, if I lived near one
2. Fishermans Warehouse, if the clerks were nicer...
3. Cabela's
4. anywhere other than BPS

The clerks were really great guys and I did follow one gal around for ten minutes just because of the view, but they have better selection in their catalog.

Next time I go north and need anything I will probably stop in Fisherman's even if the clerks can be snobbish at times.

just my humble 0.02

JT
p.s. I wish the Hook had a better online store, thats where I would shop
adman

Re: BASS PRO SHOPS??? WHY

Post by adman »

If you want the best of all worlds, Tackle Warehouse. SUPER friendly, helpful staff, unbelievable response, inventory, shipping...you name it they are the best.

Post by Guest »

And JT get your jigs from me :lol:
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

next time traveling north...120 to escalon...escalon bait and tackle if randy doesnt have it on hand will order it...jack
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

JT, I recently had the same experience. I was in Cincinnati training Coast Guard Marine Safety Detachment Cincinnati and Marine Safety Unit Huntington W.Va. on public affairs and public relations. While there I decided I'd make the drive out to the BPS. It was super small selection was poor but all of the ladys and gents they had working there were real nice. It was in a Mills mall (they have em all over) and the mall looked like a scene out of a zombie movie no people any where half the shops were closed or vacant just disappointing all around. I've been to just about every BPS and Cabelas from California to Maryland on Hwy 70 and a short detour to visit family in Minnesota so I also saw the ones in the Minnapolis area. Probably the most impressive one was in Wheeling W.Va. What a huge selection. For some reason I was half tempted to get a .50 cal magazine fed rifle they had ... dont ask why I just thought it was cool lookin :lol: ... till I saw the price of the rounds. Yeah not a box they had em priced EACH 1.99 a round! A 10 round magazine would have cost 20 bucks! Any how even shopping online is disappointing I can get more of what I want at Tackle Warehouse and Bass Tackle Depot. between those two I can usually find just about everything I need!

Tom
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
XMAN

Post by XMAN »

my first time at BPS in manteca i wasnt too impressed, i expected bigger and more--a month ago i bought some nikon binos at the store, for $319, come to find out i could have ordered them from the catalog for $40 dollars cheaper--why the differance--shipping vs taxes same thing almost--so go there knowing the catalog price first then see if the price is the same, you will be suprized----X
Phil

Post by Phil »

One of the best Fly Shops around & Meat/fish smokeing supplies, the only reasons I go there.

JIGS
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

I Avidy Shop at BPS, Fishermans warehouse Manteca, Bait Barn, BTD, TW, and Beserkbaits.

I agree BPS has issues. The first being generic items...they carry very little of the high end stuff...they don't carry Dobyn's rods for instance..and the stuff they do have like lucky craft they don't carry a large selection like they only have 2 colors in LV 500's.

The next big problem is that they mix up all the stuff, so you can't see one style of lure or one manufacturer complete...you have to go through 10 aisles to find one thing.

Three the staff is either fishermans warehouse guys or completely unknowledgable staff...you ask them for an item they say they dont carry it...then you have to find it yourself..cause they do carry it.

Also you can see all the good items because its been out of stock for a month.

That said, I do shop there alot..merced doesnt have anything but a nasty walmart..since Steve's bait Shack went away.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
Jeff Miller

Post by Jeff Miller »

Tackle Warehouse just plain smoke everyone else in my opinion. Super staff, great customer service and excellent prices ! Now if only C&C Marine would get a website going for their tackle !!!
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

BTW ....Awesome Job BTD! I purchased a rod during that fall sale..and they moved heavan and earth to accomadate me....Second rod I've bought from them now...awesome service...fair price....love the shipping package a scud missle couldnt hurt the rod , I swear.
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

Its funny you say that ACM I ordered a Phenix from them that came in this massive tube that could have a tank round go off in it and not even scratch it.
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
Dan Pollard

Post by Dan Pollard »

For my money Escalon Bait and Tackle. Just turn right off of 99 on 120. Right on 120 in Escalon 10 minutes from the freeway. Randy makes it a practice to have everything that local Bass Fisherman want. If not he will order it for you. Friendly and he is knowledgeable.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

I've heard good things about escalon, my friend steve always raves about it, but I'm already supporting enough stores...another would break me.
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Bassinlee

If you're in Berkeley/El Cerrito/Albany/Richmond...

Post by Bassinlee »

Don't forget Discount Mart's Bay Tackle on Cutting and San Pablo. Since George took over the shop, he's greatly expanded the bass tackle. He's got any kind of plastic you could want, and multiple colors. Terminal tackle too. Owner, Gami, Falcon, even Eagle Claw on the lower end. Name your swimbait, and he'll have it. Along with Gloomis, Lami, Shimano, etc, etc. I don't work there, but I know the dude, and he's a stand-up guy. It's just funny to hear a straight faced Asian guy who can talk as much fisherman smack as he can! :wink:

-Bassinlee
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

JT was that my woman u were following around? She said some freak was after her :) just kidding. tackle warehouse has set the bar and unfortunately some other folks just dont get it.

on another subject I took my wife to cabela's in Verdi and was shocked at the prices, the lack of outdoorsy feel for the place as well as minimal stock on most things. The folks that worked there were glad to have our business.

We looked at buying a handgun and the "teaser weapon" with the low price was sold out and not to be ordered again, along with the miles of hoops to jump through to get it back legal in california.
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
whazup

Post by whazup »

I would rather shop Sportsmans Warehouse than either Cabelas or Bass Pro. You don't have to fight the tourists and I've found their prices to be VERY competitive. Just wish they had an online store because I like to shop before I leave the house.
Jim V.

Post by Jim V. »

The BPS down south here in Rancho Cucamonga seems to be very well organized. The various bait types - worm - Senko types - crank baits - jigs - spinner baits - buzzers - terminal tackle - line, etc. all seem to be grouped together & by manufacturer. Fly tackle shop & salt water stuff also.

I'm not a hunter, but they seem to have a pretty extensive gun dept. & pretty high end collector weapons also.

They also have a decent seafood restaurant.