Great quote from Randy Blaukat about todays bass fishing.

Johnny C

Great quote from Randy Blaukat about todays bass fishing.

Post by Johnny C »

The main thing is affordability – we have to make this sport more affordable to more people and self-sustaining at the same time, and right now it's neither. We have to keep it open to 18- to 20-year-olds who are just starting out with no money. Right now the only young guns in the sport are the ones who have wealthy parents.

"For the others, not only is it impossible for them to participate, but there's no way they can gain the experience they're going to need."
http://www.dobynsrods.com
Phil Burgess

Re: Great quote from Randy Blaukat about todays bass fishing

Post by Phil Burgess »

AMEN!!!!! GREAT QUOTE
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

Fishing can be affordable.

Dartheads, hooks, drop shotting, soft plastics etc. are not budget busting items for an avid angler.

Boats, electronics, and the high end tackle are the most expensive but dont see how that can be made so much cheaper as to change the sport.

What about nascar, golf, and hockey..surely these are also expensive start up sports....hell football and cheerleaders pay a bunch too.

The college teams are an interesting change to the sport recently.

Losing pro-am oppertunities like nor-cal wont help. guys like me need to up our game to even be able to compete...pro-ams, and guided tri[ps , or mentors are really the only way.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
bassinrick

Post by bassinrick »

I agree with that quote but would add that tackle manufactures need to stop charging 15.00 and up for crankbaits, or 7.00 for senkos. I dont dont even want to talk about swimbaits
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him
John3:17
biteme

Post by biteme »

bassinrick wrote:I agree with that quote but would add that tackle manufactures need to stop charging 15.00 and up for crankbaits, or 7.00 for senkos. I dont dont even want to talk about swimbaits
The only way that will happen is if WE stop buying them.
CATCHEMCARO

Post by CATCHEMCARO »

Then comes a kick boat. Guys fishing tournaments and catching 20 pound limits in a boat with GPS,Live-wells and just enough tackle to fish any patturn. The cost is less then $1000.00 and that includes entry fees for about 9 events all year. I want so baddly to go to the next level, but $20 grand for a good used boat just to enjoy the thrill of victory just doesn't fit well in my budget. I guess I'll have to keep on as a Co-angler and hope to win some cash towards a new boat. Other then fishing in the float tube club, it can get costly trying to get into this sport of bass fishing for cash.
Rich
WWW.SCBBBC.COM
http://catchemcarobaits.com/index.html
westcoastbass

Post by westcoastbass »

That quote is right on the money!! Even Skeet Reese has gone to a less expensive rod, and he still kicks a**. It's true, most younger folks and adults for that matter don't have the money to participate in many of these events. Including the smaller team tournaments. The price to fish has gotten out of control, tackle, lake fees,sonar,gps, boat costs(if you have one), and it's beggining to put this sport out of reach for many. IMHO bass fishing is a bluecollar sport for most,which used to let average guys get out on tour and have a fighting chance at becoming a pro. Yet everyday major bass trails, tackle companies, and boat manufacturers pull further away from their own consumer base. Which in the long run, just like Blaukut said can not sustain itself. Unfortunately if the prices keep rising people will find other activities to do with their friends, families, and their hard earned money. :?
www.theanglerspot.com
barse41

Post by barse41 »

Johnny C wrote: We have to keep it open to 18- to 20-year-olds who are just starting out with no money. Right now the only young guns in the sport are the ones who have wealthy parents.
its closing to us now.the nor-cal pro-ams were probly the best learning experiences iv had. time on the water is one thing, but being with someone else who knows whats really going on is different. iv taken my boat out 60+ times this year, but the few nor-cals, the h.b.c s and guys nice enough to take me out and share with me realy boosts the learning curve.
theres a fine line between fishin and standin on a boat like an idiot
Steve

Post by Steve »

Johnny C wrote:Right now the only young guns in the sport are the ones who have wealthy parents.
The only "older people" who are able to be involved at the competitive level, and even a high recreational level, are also wealthy. It aint just a young person problem.
Dom

Post by Dom »

Great Quote and I agree 100%! :D
Tight Lines Dom
896J

Post by 896J »

As far as tournament participation, the boats get bigger and more expensive. What 20 year old can afford a 20 footer with a 225+ outboard? My boat purchase at 22 years of age (back in 1998) has been through 3 powerheads, so the cost of ownership was higher than expected. It started off affordable, and went downhill from there. The outboard manufacturers charge $5K more for an outboard with a different computer program than a lesser hp version, and the reliability sucks. Maybe BASS had it right in the first place, 150 HP max, everyone on a level playing field. Someone always chimes in on these subjects about how the boat doesn't catch the fish, but it just isn't cool to expect an Am in a Pro-Am event to fish out of my boat, when everyone else is in brand new Rangers and such :wink: . That's what would keep me from doing the Pro-Am events. In my book the boats are the barrier to entry for the younger fellas with no financial backing.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Parental envolvement and mentors is really where it starts at.

Look at these two top peformers out of 52 boats this past weekend for The Hook Series ..

9 ALARID, SEAN DELAMATER, DANNY 7 12.91

12 STERAD, TANNER FORTINA, JOEY 7 11.66

Sean and Danny may be still under 20 years of age - and using Bobby's boat mabey ?

Tanner and Joey -- Are a team of a Sophmore and a Juinor in High School ! Using Tanners dad's boat - and he is able to do it legally with his Learners Permit (He may even have his DL now)

HOW FRICKEN COOL IS THAT !! Image

It starts with Parents and Mentors - Always has ... and we all need more Parents and Mentors for the sport to keep paying it foreward. ..... And Gene for providing a series like he does with The Hook Series !!
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Andi

Post by Andi »

I agree about parental involvement being paramount to success. My company sponsors Andrew Upshaw, who's 21 and and fished his first Stren at 18 - and finished 14th. He's also at the top of the collegiate tours.

His father made him learn to fish from a rowboat. He was able to put a trolling motor on it after he demonstrated responsibility. From there he was allowed to use his father's old aluminum boat and went on to tournament fishing some years later. I remember him stopping by the house one night on his way to a BFL. His tow vehicle - an old beater that he still uses - wouldn't start. When it finally did, the trailer lights on the beater boat wouldn't work, so he fixed them. Got to the lake and didn't have a place to stay so he slept in his truck at the ramp. He finished 3rd in the tournament. At the time he was 19 and the #1 ranked collegiate angler in the nation.

Andrew is proof that it's not necessary to have all the expensive crap to be successful. What it takes is a good work ethic and committment to goals - things taught at home. The hardship experienced along the way not only builds good character, but keeps things in perspective as well. Instead of being embarrassed about fishing out of beater equipment, he laughed about what it must look like for a darned kid in that get-up to consistently be in the winners circle. He worked his butt off and now has a decent deal on a new boat and sponsorship deals that help him out. His Dad is his biggest fan and has given him encouragement (and a little discipline at times) along the way.
Andi Sanders
Owner, Talon Series Custom Lures
www.talonlures.com
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

It's always been that way with this or any other sport unless you were really gifted and had a person with the resources take you under their wing.

So :?:
I had to come back...I know...