Trim went out, any help?

spanky99

Trim went out, any help?

Post by spanky99 »

I was coming back in after trying to catch some stripers out in Sherman and my motor wouldn't trim...I could hear the trim motor spinning but it was like it wasn't hooking up with the motor to lift or go down...Has this happened to anyone else?

It's a 1994 Mecury 200. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan Hurley
Sherman Lake Marina
Jeff Antenucci

Re: Trim went out, any help?

Post by Jeff Antenucci »

It hasn't happened to me, but I would give Inland Marine in Antioch a call to see what is it. Very knowlegdeable, great prices, and great people.
925-757-1714
Last edited by Jeff Antenucci on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike H

Post by Mike H »

My old boat 1987 201 Champion, had a 1992 Merc 200 EFI. There were 2 relays, one that caused the motor to go up and the other to go down. One of my relays went out so once I started to trim up it would not stop. I had to disconnect my battery to make it stop. I ended up replacing them both. Possibly your "down" relay is sticking?
Mike Holbrook

http://bassnman.com
cib11b

Post by cib11b »

Could be a relay switch... Or even the motor but if you hear the motor it just mite be a switch.. wich would be cheaper than replacing the motor. I would take it to someone who knows what they are doing.
Ohh son!! That's a 4, 5 ,7 8, 12 punder son!!

2016 Ranger Z175 Lime Green Fusion!
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Could be the trim hyd seal went out and you lost your fluid.

Morgan
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Sounds like a blown seal/no fluid to me as well. A new replacement pump will run somewhere around $350+

I have an small air-bubble in mine that I would like to prime out ..... But I don't have a clue as to how to get it out .... as it looks like it is a sealed unit w.o digging further into the mechanics if it.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
snapitoff2002

Post by snapitoff2002 »

Speaking of... I have 94 merc 200 also.. and the trim is Sloooooooow.... I wonder if a new trim motor would be the deal, or if they were just that slow! :roll:
Josh Palmer

"Champions keep playing till they get it right"
BrianVieau

Post by BrianVieau »

It might be simple, but make sure your trim fluid is full.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

It will most likely be either, low fluid, Sloooow up and down, As for not going up or down, one of your relays is out. They are in-expensive and easy to replace, take them to a dealer, they should be able to test and tell you which one it is. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
JT-Madera

Post by JT-Madera »

you do not "NOT" have to replace the motor. first check the switches then there is a replacement seal kit that can be installed for less than $100.00 instructions come in the seal box. it is easy for any motor nut to do.

jt
spanky99

Post by spanky99 »

Thanks for the help guys..I got the boat pulled out of the marina and took the cowling off. When I hit the button I can hear one of the relays click just before the motor starts turning...I also checked the fluid and it appears to be ok. When it was in the water I didn't see any fluid coming from it (no rainbows). I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take it in.