Because Castaic was cancelled (Swimbait Story)

Allantek

Because Castaic was cancelled (Swimbait Story)

Post by Allantek »

I ended up going to Casitas today. What a day!
Brian did not want to go so I drop him off at pilot gas to get his car. Then I went home myself, because it was hammering with wind. Well, I thought about it the hole way home, (this is my day to be on the water). Made a few calls, Piru was open but had white caps and Casitas was calm.
So, I drove up there, about 1hr and 15 min.
I had decided to throw nothing but swim-bait, was throwing it for about a half hour and my arm was getting tried so I got out the drop shot rig. 6" motor-oil red. I started to hear voices and about that time here comes this pontoon boat with about 20 people on it and the driver is about 10/15 ft from the boat, I started to curse at him when all of a sudden I had a tick. Landed a 3-lb-er. Time was about 9:30AM was only on the water since 9:00AM.
At 12:20PM my wife called and said it's time to come home. OK, I told here.
Well, I figured I would work down this bank I was on than leave. Well, I pull up to this cove, it had a few tulle's in it and I decided to throw the Huddleston again.
One cast nothing, two cast nothing, but on the third cast EXPLOSION the rod bent in half, took drag, fought for about 3 to 4 minuets, and then ran into a tree. DAMM IT broke me off. I not only lost the biggest fish of my life but my Huddleston too.
I just could not understand how 25lb test Green Maxima did not hold up. That fish must have engulfed the bait and being wrapped around the tree. I saw the swirl and the flash and had the fight the only thing I didn't have was the proof.

Another Fish story,
Last edited by Allantek on Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Allantek

www.bass-tek.com
www.theswimshade.com
Calincalif50

Re: Because Castaic was cancelled (Swimbait Story)

Post by Calincalif50 »

I was there today too.

Threw the huds; ROF 5 and 12 with no takers. New baits never thrown them before...need shoulder surgery now. Decided I need a better rod to throw those with so if you got ideas on what rod to throw those Huds with....well you know.

Caught a 2 lb LMB in a cove towards the dam on the left side in about 12-15 with a DD22 crank bait
E man

Post by E man »

Sorry to hear you lost the fish and your bait. When fishing line that heavy you can pretty much button down the drag and horse 'em in. That way you don't get sawed off on the tree like that... :D
Bob La Londe

Post by Bob La Londe »

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... GSBBR.html#

This looks like a good rod for casting those big heavy swim baits. At 89.99 its a fair price too.
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
Forums, Links, Contests

http://www.YumaProAm.com
Yuma Pro Am - Draw Team Series
Allantek

Post by Allantek »

Inexperience, I have it mark on the GPS. if there is a next time, it's mine.

Thanks,
Allantek

www.bass-tek.com
www.theswimshade.com
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Not the lines fault Allantek, don't need the drag with 25#. Just rip them to ya, and if needed then you can mess with a drag. Hard way to learn!
Guy Williams
DL

Post by DL »

I second the Okuma rod selection. I can cast a Hudd overhand if needed...and the under hand "sling" is a sinch as well. And the price is perfect. I am thinking about getting another so I dont have to retie when I want to switch baits...
"Feel the steel"
Brian D.

Now thats

Post by Brian D. »

... a swim bait story! Sorry to hear that you lost a Casitas trophy. Dang, sounds like it was close to a 20 lber! LOL.. Just messin Jim. Keep at it to gain experience, then you'll be very confident in catchin big fish with big baits.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Calincalif50

Post by Calincalif50 »

Okuma ..great, Xmas is coming and I think I'll get the hvy action now, and ask mrs santa for the xtra hvy.

What line? I was using Yozuri hybrid. good line but thick. Last time I tried to use 50lb spider wire stealth it frayed too much. At hte cost of the baits and the potential for monster bass I don't want to loose one.

Sorry to hear about your fish though.
Bob La Londe

Post by Bob La Londe »

I really really like Stren Super Braid. Its thin and smooth. Casts further than Power Pro and is not as loud through the guides. I use 20 pound fr cranks and 30 lb for topwater and wacky senkos. I use 50 lb for flipping, although I may switch to 65.

If I feel I need a clear line I'll usually go with Seaguar Carbon Pro, but recently I tried some 8Lb Maxima Flouro Carbon for drop shotting and I felt it was very good and its much cheaper than Seaguar.

For mono I like Suffix Siege and Berkely Big Game.
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
Forums, Links, Contests

http://www.YumaProAm.com
Yuma Pro Am - Draw Team Series
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

You might consider the Rogue Byron Velvick Swimbait series for a great rod.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Allantek

Post by Allantek »

I don't think it was the faulty equiptment, I was using a Calcutta CLCX80MH rod, 8' it was perfit. Just swallow the bait and sawed the line. probly a 20/lber. I don't know for sure.

Well next time...
Allantek

www.bass-tek.com
www.theswimshade.com