Revised Lake County Boat Inspection takes effect January 1st

bassbooger

Revised Lake County Boat Inspection takes effect January 1st

Post by bassbooger »

Here is the Lake County Record Bee article written by Outdoors Columnist Terry Knight.

New boat inspection program starts Jan. 1
By Terry Knight -- Record-Bee outdoors columnist.
Updated: 12/08/2009 10:56:38 PM PST

Boaters visiting Clear Lake and Lake County in 2010 will see some major changes regarding boat inspections for the quagga mussel.

On Tuesday, the Lake County Board of Supervisors (BOS) approved a new protocol that requires all boats not registered in the county to be carefully screened. The protocol was drafted by the Invasive Species Council and presented to the BOS.

It takes effect on January 1, 2010.

The protocol exempts canoes, kayaks, row boats, float tubes, inflatable rafts, wind surfers/boards and boogey boards. In the past these floatable devices were required to have a quagga mussel sticker, but no longer. However, they still need to be clean, drained and dry before being launched into the lake.

Boaters who have their vessels registered in Lake County won't have to do anything new, but they will be required to obtain a resident sticker that is valid indefinitely. However, any resident boat that leaves and returns to the county needs to be clean, dry and inspected if it visited an infested body of water.

The procedure for out-of-county or non-resident boats is that a certified screener must inspect them. The boater will fill out a form and sign it, stating that his/her boat has not been in a quagga mussel- or zebra mussel-infested body of water for the past 30 days and is not registered in a county that has the mussels. The screener will do a walk-around visual inspection of the boat to make sure it is clean, drained and dry.

Clean means the boat is clean of debris and has no mussels attached to the boat or the trailer. Drained means all water is drained from livewells, storage compartments, bilge and engine. Dry means there are no signs of standing water on or in the vessel or trailer.

If it's a wakeboard boat, the ballast tank must be drained. Any boat that is not cleaned, drained and dry may not launch and must be decontaminated and inspected by a certified inspector before being allowed to launch. If the screener determines the boat is suspect and could be containing mussels, the boater will be directed to take the boat to a certified inspector, who will thoroughly inspect it. Only then will the boat be issued a color-coded plastic identification band, which must be attached in a visible location in the front one-third portion of the boat.

The color-coded band will cost $10 for non-resident boaters and is valid for the month it is issued in. For example, January's band may be red and February's band may be blue.

There are presently more than 20 screening and inspection stations located around the county, many of them open seven days a week and during early morning hours. In reality, only a small portion of the boats will require an inspection. Most of the out-of-county boats come from Northern California where the mussel hasn't yet appeared. These boats should have no trouble passing the screening test. The boats the authorities are looking for are the ones that have recently been to such lakes as Lake Mead or the Colorado River, or even out-of-state boats. These boats are classified as "high-risk" vessels and will be scrutinized more closely.

The new ordinance applies to all waters within the boundaries of Lake County, which means Clear Lake, Lake Pillsbury, Indian Valley Reservoir as well as Upper and Lower Blue Lakes. The Lake County Sheriff's Boat Patrol will closely monitor these bodies of water and will cite any boat found not to have the current quagga mussel band. The fine can be as high as $450, which includes court costs.

Despite what some people make think, the quagga mussel probably hasn't yet reached the county. The county and the Department of Fish and Game have placed concrete blocks at various locations around the lake. These blocks contain a high calcium concentration, which attracts the mussel. The blocks are checked weekly and there has been no evidence of mussels being found to date.

Whereas some fishermen might be upset about paying $10 per month to get a quagga mussel sticker, the price is small in comparison to the launch fees that other lakes charge. All the public launch ramps on Clear Lake are free, which is very rare in these times.
Bass Booger
Dom

Re: Revised Lake County Boat Inspection takes effect January

Post by Dom »

Thanks for the update, the FPT has a 2 day tourn up there next year so I can get this done on a pre-fish day.
Tight Lines Dom
FredP

Post by FredP »

Does this mean we only need 1 inspection per month?
texas john

Post by texas john »

Fred, this looks right. From reading this article you will be issued a band which is good for the month it is issued.

The color-coded band will cost $10 for non-resident boaters and is valid for the month it is issued in. For example, January's band may be red and February's band may be blue.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Will Bob at Limit Out still be a certified screener?
492slayer

Post by 492slayer »

I don't mind paying a $10/month fee because it is less than the cost to launch at most lakes. I do have an issue with kayaks, float tubes and such being exempt as they have as much or more opportunity to transport the critters in question. I am wondering how long it will take for some legal eagle to file a suit claiming it is discriminatory to enforce these requirements on non-Lake county boaters and not those that freely move in and out of the county. Most will agree that this is a revenue generating program, as 99% of the bass boats come from neighboring counties, and very few come into contact with infected waters. I don't mind the cost as much as the hassle of dealing with an inspection process.
'97 492VS
335HP EFI by Simon Motorsports
rangerz20

Post by rangerz20 »

The procedure for out-of-county or non-resident boats is that a certified screener must inspect them. The boater will fill out a form and sign it, stating that his/her boat has not been in a quagga mussel- or zebra mussel-infested body of water for the past 30 days and is not registered in a county that has the mussels. The screener will do a walk-around visual inspection of the boat to make sure it is clean, drained and dry.

So what if you go up to fish a tourney and you come from Arizona or Southern California where there are mussels? Are you banned from going on the lake if you come from a county which has the mussels?
Jay Rowan

Post by Jay Rowan »

"So what if you go up to fish a tourney and you come from Arizona or Southern California where there are mussels? Are you banned from going on the lake if you come from a county which has the mussels?

As of the last meeting, from what I understand those boats would be subject to an "inspection" which is more detailed than the "screening" other boats are subject to. The inspection would be similar to what you would see at say DVL or other waters that require a full inspection, then possibly decontamination depending on what the inspector saw. From what I understand the full inspection for these boats will come at an increased cost beyond the normal screening based on boat length and would be done by county inspectors as well as privateers that are authorized to do inspections. The problem so far as I see it with this is that the certified inspectors are not necessarily on site at screening locations and either have to be called out to the site or you would have to take your boat to them. (It's a level of training and time issue so not all screeners are certified inspectors, and some are not willing to be, or have their employees be trained to that level)

I will ask if they will be willing to accept a banded boat from one of the reservoirs that has that type of program at the screening level in lue of a full inspection for any boats from infected zip's.
According to last years data I think a couple hundred out of state or So Cal boats got stickers.
backseatfishergirl

Post by backseatfishergirl »

am i understanding correctly... if ur registered in SJco u cannot have ur boat in the delta for 30 days prior to a Clear lake launch or u must undergo a detailed inspection not just a screening by appointment that u pay for before u get on the water?
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Very unfortunate. My summer vacation just switched venues.

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

How many months do you think this will last before Lake County starts wondering "Where did out tourist income go?!" :?

Who else doesn't think this is gonna fly?
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

With BASS their at the end of March, I can see it know when the Pro says Lake Erie or a known lake from the East Coast. I just can se Mr Knight tell'in KVD that he can't put his boat on the water....YA Right!!!!!!
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
lrgmouth

Post by lrgmouth »

what happens to clean and dry if its raining?
Vernonn

Prefish End of the Month - Reinspect for Tournament???

Post by Vernonn »

If they use calendar months to determine the inspection periods, that may mean that if I prefish on Jan 30/31, I would need to get reinspected on February 6th?

That would be a pain in the arse....
Ringer

Re: Prefish End of the Month - Reinspect for Tournament???

Post by Ringer »

How doe they control locals who take the wakeboat or whatever boat from the area to Havasu or AZ? If asked if they were out of the area they would for the most part just say no. Seems like a scheme relying on people's honesty and you know that no one would lie to save a few bucks.
Guyle

Post by Guyle »

I hope the mussels show up soon and put an end to this crap.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Jay Rowan wrote:According to last years data I think a couple hundred out of state or So Cal boats got stickers.
:lol: My boat will not be from Southern California anymore as well. :lol:
biteme

Post by biteme »

Guyle wrote:I hope the mussels show up soon and put an end to this crap.
Yeah it sux to say but all this crap makes a person think that way.
Jay Rowan

Post by Jay Rowan »

"Very unfortunate. My summer vacation just switched venues."
If your coming for days or a week or something it's really not that big a deal as long as your boat is prepped. It's no different than what the boaters already go through at most of the lakes in So Cal, and nothing compared to what's been going on at Casitas. It's a half hour tops. Early am on a week day there may be some issues. Hopefully that can be worked out, but anglers who might run into this issue need to make their voice heard so that the county knows that there are anglers that will be impacted and they need to adjust for it.
backseatfishergirl wrote:am i understanding correctly... if ur registered in SJco u cannot have ur boat in the delta for 30 days prior to a Clear lake launch or u must undergo a detailed inspection not just a screening by appointment that u pay for before u get on the water?
If your boat is from an infected zip, or if you have been to an infected waterbody in the last 30 days, you will have to get an inspection, which is above and beyond a screening.

"How doe they control locals who take the wakeboat or whatever boat from the area to Havasu or AZ? If asked if they were out of the area they would for the most part just say no"
Locals get a sticker and they are what I call the "honer roll", the thought is that most don't leave the county and if they do they have more invested in the lake since they live there so would take the necessary steps to clean, drain and dry. Flawed? yes.

"If they use calendar months to determine the inspection periods, that may mean that if I prefish on Jan 30/31, I would need to get reinspected on February 6th?" They are going to allow some amount of days overlap, 5-7 or some such thing, that would have the departure date written on the paperwork and band. So if you came on the 30th to prefish and came back on the 6th you would still be covered, and it would be highly unlikely your boat was put into an infested water in that time.

"With BASS their at the end of March, I can see it know when the Pro says Lake Erie or a known lake from the East Coast. I just can se Mr Knight tell'in KVD that he can't put his boat on the water....YA Right!!!!!!"
Boats coming for BASS will have inspections prior to launching for prefish in the Delta and again before Clear Lake by DFG, similar to the check stations that have been set up on I-5 in the past. It's a known risk situation so the invasive species program decided to be proactive and use it as an outreach opportunity by working with an industry leader in BASS. BASS is totally on board.
Jay Rowan

Post by Jay Rowan »

"Very unfortunate. My summer vacation just switched venues."
If your coming for days or a week or something it's really not that big a deal as long as your boat is prepped. It's no different than what the boaters already go through at most of the lakes in So Cal, and nothing compared to what's been going on at Casitas. It's a half hour tops. Early am on a week day there may be some issues. Hopefully that can be worked out, but anglers who might run into this issue need to make their voice heard so that the county knows that there are anglers that will be impacted and they need to adjust for it.
backseatfishergirl wrote:am i understanding correctly... if ur registered in SJco u cannot have ur boat in the delta for 30 days prior to a Clear lake launch or u must undergo a detailed inspection not just a screening by appointment that u pay for before u get on the water?
If your boat is from an infected zip, or if you have been to an infected waterbody in the last 30 days, you will have to get an inspection, which is above and beyond a screening.

"How doe they control locals who take the wakeboat or whatever boat from the area to Havasu or AZ? If asked if they were out of the area they would for the most part just say no"
Locals get a sticker and they are what I call the "honer roll", the thought is that most don't leave the county and if they do they have more invested in the lake since they live there so would take the necessary steps to clean, drain and dry. Flawed? yes.

"If they use calendar months to determine the inspection periods, that may mean that if I prefish on Jan 30/31, I would need to get reinspected on February 6th?" They are going to allow some amount of days overlap, 5-7 or some such thing, that would have the departure date written on the paperwork and band. So if you came on the 30th to prefish and came back on the 6th you would still be covered, and it would be highly unlikely your boat was put into an infested water in that time.

"With BASS their at the end of March, I can see it know when the Pro says Lake Erie or a known lake from the East Coast. I just can se Mr Knight tell'in KVD that he can't put his boat on the water....YA Right!!!!!!"
Boats coming for BASS will have inspections prior to launching for prefish in the Delta and again before Clear Lake by DFG, similar to the check stations that have been set up on I-5 in the past. It's a known risk situation so the invasive species program decided to be proactive and use it as an outreach opportunity by working with an industry leader in BASS. BASS is totally on board.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Look, just because some other jurisdiction has gone nuts with this
stuff doesn't justify another to do the same. This whole issue IMHO is ridiculous, and I refuse to participate! Period!
Come on people, are you kidding me? Does this make any sense at all? Look at all of the "what if's, could be's etc etc. 5-7 day exemption here, this exemption there. This again, IMHO is a prime of example of how a government agency(s) or task force just basically tries to justify their own existence, plain and simple. Watch out, the sky is falling continues to work. AMAZING!
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

Jay,

Their has been already a half dozen boats here on the Delta that are BASS Elite fisherman.
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
biteme

Post by biteme »

Someone please answer me this. What if these critters get into our waterways? Whats going to happen to all the programs and monies that are put into place to stop them?
Jay Rowan

Post by Jay Rowan »

RichThiel wrote:Jay,

Their has been already a half dozen boats here on the Delta that are BASS Elite fisherman.
Those inspections will only be for the prefish time prior to the event in March. I'm not working on this one so I don't know all the details, except that there will be inspections before the prefish and they have worked with BASS to get it all worked out.

"Someone please answer me this. What if these critters get into our waterways? Whats going to happen to all the programs and monies that are put into place to stop them?"

I would imagine that the prevention programs will go away and your water bill will go up.

Dan, of course there are holes and what if's. In a perfect world every boat would be inspected and be certified mussel free in 15 seconds at no cost and all would be right with the world. The goal of this program is to reduce risk. It is not a 100% guarantee that an invasive won't get there and there is no way for it to be except to close the lake and not allow boats, bait fishing, anything. The further you go to reduce risk, the tougher it gets on boaters. It's a difficult balance to make. If anyone has better ideas, I'd love to here them and take them to the County.
As to the 5-7 days it's really more for boats that are staying at the lake. Someone comes to stay at the St. Park or a hotel that straddles two months, but I don't see why it' wouldn't work for someone to come and prefish on a weekend, then back again the next weekend. Chances are pretty low that that person is going to drive to Havasu or So. Cal during the week then back to CL.
Just remember risk reduction, not elimination.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Jay, please don't take this personal as it is not. However, my opinion is not going to change. This is IMHO RIDICULOUS, and changes nothing. Does not improve anything in any way, except maybe the County's bottomline.

Like I've stated in prior posts, it is not about the $10 a month, and I'd love to see all of the screeners at 4 am on a Saturday morning trying to check all of the boats prior to launch. RIGHT! Same ole thing is going to transpire. Fill out the paper, pay the $10 bucks, and be on your way, and that's not a slam on any one screener, just reality.

This program in no way will reduce any risk of these things getting into the lake, but Lake County has decided to risk an awful lot here. You (Lake County) want to protect the lake? Then protect it, and I for one will have no problem paying my fair share, or dealing with it when I do visit.

Furthermore, if someone has been to the Delta, they have to go through an inspection, not a screening. How many people will that
apply to, and how many of those guys are going to admit to that fact, and what's the cost again, and where and when can you have that done? Unbelievable. Are all of the Elite boats exempt from inspection? Can you say Great Lakes?
Only if they admit it on the affadavit!

Really though, it's just not that big of a deal for me. I'll just stay on Berryessa this year, and the nearly $3000 I spent in Lake County last year will just go somewhere else, and I doubt I'm the only one that feels that way. This just really ticks me off more than anything
else as I have a good number or friends I look forward to seeing each year up there. Really unfortunate.

Dan
Last edited by DanIsaac on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bassbooger

Post by bassbooger »

Of the Lake County bodies of water, Clear Lake is not owned by Lake County, but by the State of California, and administered under the Public Trust Doctrine.

In simple terms, the residents of California have the right to use navigable waters of Clear Lake 24/7.

Clear Lake was the main reason this ordinance was adopted. It is the main source of revenue for the county and main source for municipal water.

Now you have this ordinance, that initially relied on an affidavit and honor system, to prevent mussels from being introduced into Lake County waters.

It has been stated education is the key priority to making this ordinance work, but why change the way boats are inspected now, after 20 months of the ordinance being in effect? Only bass and recreational boats are high risk?

Why are only non Lake County boaters being targeted for this monthly cost? Like I stated above, the State of California owns Clear Lake, so why is it Lake County residents are not being required to share the same responsibility/cost? Are the residents more honorable than non county visitors?

There are now only two Lake County Sheriff's Marine Patrol officers on duty split during the day to cover Clear Lake (There are six during the summer season). In reality, how much enforcement do you think will happen with only one officer on the lake?

There really is no change to the ordinance. The bottom line is the honor system was not working for all boaters returning to Lake County and having their boats re-screened prior to launching.

And since the county doesn't have the revenue, or personnel, to enforce this ordinance to begin with, they now come to the conclusion the honor system is not working, so let's start forcing compliance by targeting visitors every month with increased cost, but not the locals?

Where are the reports during the last 20 months that show where and how the revenue taken in was used?

I don't see the justifiable reason.

What I do see is a certain group of vessel owners are being unfairly targeted, when the responsibility of prevention should be the burden of all vessels using Lake County waters.

Remember, this is the same county that purchased decontamination units for this ordinance, then turned around and sold all but two, because they did not have the revenue/personnel to run the stations.

So what is the real reason for the cost increase?
Last edited by bassbooger on Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bass Booger
Jay Rowan

Post by Jay Rowan »

Not personal at all Dan. However being involved with the program from the start as the DFG reservoir biologist, I know for a fact that the intentions of the county are not money collection, they are to protect the lake. The execution may have it's flaws, but that's what happens when things like this are done by committee and there is no funding for it.
I do disagree that it's a waste of time though once all the kinks get worked out and it works the way it's proposed. At the very least it has people talking, reading, and getting educated, and education is one of the goals. I also think it will have people coming up from counties with infested waterbodies taking extra time to clean their boats. If they don't they won't pass the inspection, which is different than the screening that has been going on to date. It is one of the key changes and it wasn't that easy to get agreement on.
This is a real tough nut to crack. For every person like you that says, do it and do it full on I'll do my part, there's one that says exactly the opposite and tells the hotel operator this is too much trouble, I'm not going to come to CL anymore, I'll take my money elsewhere. It's all right here in this thread. Both sides of the coin.

As to screeners checking each boat on a Saturday at 4am, they do full inspections at the EBMUD lakes and a lot of others when they open, or you can come ahead of time and get a band. It takes a while, but it's doable, and not 100% either.

The boats will only have to go through an inspection if they have been in an infected waterbody in the last 30 days. If you were in the Delta, Oroville, Folsom, the weekend before, as long as you certify that your boat is CD&D your good to go. We have been pushing for a simple walk around and it may still be on the table, but some of the current screeners refused to do it. Maybe the solution is that they shouldn't be screeners. The Elite boats will be inspected on their way into the state at the boarder stations and again by DFG. Yes there will probably be some people that recently fished an infected waterbody that lie about it. Hopefully they check out the link below of the zebras at San Justo and take care of their boat. Crazy pictures...
http://www.imhooked.com/cgi-bin/forumsy ... 59534149/0

Bassbooger. Lake County doesn't own the lake but they are in charge of it through their water resources program.
Bass and other day use boats are not considered high risk unless they come from an infested area, because generally they are not. Moored boats, boats with ballast tanks as well as boats that come from an infested are are high risk and will have to go above and beyond the screening.
I agree that those from with-in the county should be under the same program, but it's a tough one to get agreement on in that group and it's been suggested that they extend that to local counties for folks such as yourself.

The enforcement last year was something like 3-4 days a month and they ticketed 80 some boats for no or expired stickers. Not enough but you never know what day is one of them. Guess it depends on if you a gambler or not. The odds of not getting checked would be in your favor.

The County has the information that shows where the money collected has gone. You can contact Carolan Ruttan at the Co. for the info. I'll contact her next week and see if it's ok if I post it up.
bassbooger

Post by bassbooger »

This ordinance will only be effective, if it is enforced consistently.

The current screening process may be done properly at some locations, but the majority screeners are not even supervised regularly to confirm proper protocol is followed.

A good example is one boater was ordered off the lake by the Sheriff's Marine Patrol and told to go have an inspection performed, before he would be allowed back on the lake.

What kind of enforcement is that?

The boat has already been on the lake, so how is an inspection going to prevent infestation, if after the fact?

What would be effective is to see how the ordinance has come along during the last 20 months and what has the county done to correct problems along the way. I've only seen a few revisions on the county website and they had nothing to do with how vessels were screened or inspected.

To suddenly change the protocol how vessels are screened or inspected, and only target boaters from out of county will not change how the ordinance is enforced.

It is not a secret Lake County is cash poor, or that it has suffered a huge loss in tax revenue over the summer due to the algae problem.

What will be interesting to see is how Lake County plans to use this increase in boat screening/inspection revenue for actual enforcement and prevention.
Bass Booger
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Since guys will lie about being on infected waters, it's mostly an honor system anyway. Since they insist on this BS. Why can't they do a Northern Cal sticker instead of just a resident Lake County. Since most of the boats will never be on infected waters and this would save the hassle of most of the locals. Locals are guys that fish the lake regularly that live in Nor Cal. Many fishermen are very pissed about this. Just wait till they start writing citations. We have fishermen HOPING the mussels show up to end this BS already. In all reality with some of the conversations going around......... this is libel to increase the chances of mussels in the lake. They totally blew this one...........once again people in power to make a decision do not use the "common sense factor".
Jay Rowan

Post by Jay Rowan »

They are making changes to try and make the program better. That's what this is all about. They recognized there were problems so they picked a university extension biologist to chair a group of stakeholders and tasked them with fixing some of the problems. One of the big ones was lack of reinspection by returning boaters. People, some of them from infected areas, would get their sticker and they would be good to go for the year. The solution that was doable with the current resources is going to the monthly band, which for the vast majority of boaters from infected areas will work since the odds of them coming to CL then back to an infested lake then back to CL in one month are pretty low to none. The second thing they are doing is stepping up the inspection process on higher risk boats so it's more than just a persons word that their boat is CD&D. It will still rely on a persons word if they are a day use type boat from a non-infested county that travels to an infected lake then to CL. That is a hole that will apply to a fairly small number of boats, but how do you close it while as Gary said, not pissing off the vast majority of boaters even more, that are low or no risk?
Gary's idea makes some sense, that being said, one of the County Sup's was at a meeting and shot down a similar idea to extend the "local" status to even adjacent county (mendo, Napa...) boaters. Drawing a line across the south state, basically anything N. of the grapevine would be similar to a local, but that was shot down as well for some valid reasons. The problem as I see it is where do you draw that line? I will bring up Gary's idea. Taking ideas, one and all.

Gary, it would be great to have someone such as yourself as a big name angler at a few of the meetings to represent anglers. I do my best but I don't have the pull that someone like you would bring. It's an important perspective that is missing. You can PM me for details if your interested.

If anyone else can think up how to reduce the risk of introducing an invasive species that doesn't either totally shut down the lake or just throw in the towel, I'm certainly all ears and am more than willing to take it back to the County.

bassbooger, your right about that case of enforcement and enforcement in general. That person probably should have been cited, but as with any case, officers have discretion so I won't second guess. That is something I have been bringing up in the meetings though. If your enforcement is writing a bunch of tickets for non compliance something isn't working, and in the case of last years stats it came up to about 1.6 tickets per day on the water (avg. 4 days a month and approx. 80 tickets). That's way too many, and IMO it comes back to either the fine is to low and not enough enforcement on the water so it's worth the risk, the stickers are too difficult to get, or both. The City of Lakeport has added a community service officer assigned to the ramps in Lakeport to check for compliance. Not 24/7 but it's a start.
bassbooger

Post by bassbooger »

It was a good measure when Lake County implemented this ordinance, but it was hastily put together, and as with any new program, bugs need to be worked out.

It doesn't take 1.5 years to realize the honor system doesn't work... it takes common sense. :wink:

SPC (Statistical Process Control) is an effective low cost program that would have been instrumental in tracking how the ordinance was coming along, quick to point out flaws, quick to offer corrective measures, etc. All it requires is a computer and data input.

Now the new protocol for vessels visiting Lake County, and the type of vessel requiring screening/inspection changes, only effects visiting boaters. This is not a slight revision... it is a major one.

The big question WHY is well warranted.

Just as it was stated in the original news article "this will make the ordinance 12 times better", is far from the truth.

What is true is it will increase the revenue taken in by the county 11 times, but doesn't change the original format of the ordinance.

It forces visiting boaters to be honest, yet, provides no details for enforcement.

8,000 boat inspections for 2009 = $80,000.00 gross, $56,000.00 of which goes to the county.

And now projected for 2010: 8,000 boats x 12 screenings = $960,000.00, of which $672,000.00 goes to the county.

So, in a nut shell.... where are the proposals to increase enforcement, or is this increased revenue going into the county's general fund?
Last edited by bassbooger on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bass Booger
bassbooger

Post by bassbooger »

Jay Rowan wrote:
bassbooger, your right about that case of enforcement and enforcement in general. If your enforcement is writing a bunch of tickets for non compliance something isn't working, and in the case of last years stats it came up to about 1.6 tickets per day on the water (avg. 4 days a month and approx. 80 tickets). That's way too many, and IMO it comes back to either the fine is to low and not enough enforcement on the water so it's worth the risk, the stickers are too difficult to get, or both.
This is exactly why the ordinance is not working as designed. Any ordinance is only as effective as it is enforced.

This new protocol doesn't address enforcement issues at all.
Bass Booger
Steve

Post by Steve »

The only comment Im gonna make on this issue is this will affect my decision to fish Clear Lake. Thats a shame for Lake County because Clear Lake has been the ONE place thats been simple to fish. You drive there, you launch at a free launch, and you poke quality fish. Very simple. Its not simple anymore, it costs more, you now have to consider dates and costs (as in, if I get a hair up my *** to fish on January 31 and Feb 1, I wont do it anymore), and thats going to affect the economy of Lake County. Nuff said.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Steve wrote:The only comment Im gonna make on this issue is this will affect my decision to fish Clear Lake. Thats a shame for Lake County because Clear Lake has been the ONE place thats been simple to fish. You drive there, you launch at a free launch, and you poke quality fish. Very simple. Its not simple anymore, it costs more, you now have to consider dates and costs (as in, if I get a hair up my *** to fish on January 31 and Feb 1, I wont do it anymore), and thats going to affect the economy of Lake County. Nuff said.
Yep and in the end if enough stop fishing there its going to put a hurtin on the local economy. I know when Im there for the day I eat twice, lunch snacks ect. I also usually stop by the tackle shop.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

bassbooger wrote:And now projected for 2010: 8,000 boats x 12 screenings = $960,000.00, of which $672,000.00 goes to the county.

So, in a nut shell.... where are the proposals to increase enforcement, or is this increased revenue going into the county's general fund?
Even though this was never going to happen it sure puts the whole ordinance in perspective. Almost 300K to the screeners? Why sell tackle? I am sure nobody is making 300K selling tackle. At least the banding program will take care of the businesses that are going to lose a bunch of tackle business. I will certainly cut my "fun" drives north short and visit the Delta instead of Clear Lake. I can see that my living south of the magical line called the Grapevine makes me persona non grata. Ridiculous as it may be as my boat's only fault is that it sits in a garage South of the line. Gary Dobyns fishes contaminated waters more days than I do. How can anybody think that's fair?
bassbooger

Post by bassbooger »

Well, the bottom line is this new protocol takes effect January 1, 2010.

In addition to all the bad publicity Lake County has received these past few years, along with the severe algae problem over the summer that devastated the seasonal tourism trade , Konocti Harbor closing, shops closing, and the poor economy... now boaters have this to look forward to.

What will happen if the drought continues, and the algae problem returns next summer?

It may be that the BOS has just committed economic suicide to the most important revenue available to Lake County. :roll:
Bass Booger
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

Belive me no one is making 300k on boat inspections!Most people who drive any distance to come fish Clearlake stay about a week. $10.00 to fish for a month is a deal. When I lived in Brentwood I spent $40.00--$50.00 a month on launching alone and more in the summer. Go to Pardee or Cammanche and see what it costs per day.I agree with the county as far as locals not paying monthy my boat has only been on Clearlake for the past two years and therefore is not a risk.The closest launch for me charges $5.00 and its still cheaper than driving to the free ramps when you factor in truck gas.People come to Clearlake for the great fishing. No where else can you catch 3 to 4 pounders all day and a toad once in a while . Not even the Delta!

Dave B
Clearlake Outdoors
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

Gary Dobyns wrote: Why can't they do a Northern Cal sticker instead of just a resident Lake County. Since most of the boats will never be on infected waters and this would save the hassle of most of the locals. Locals are guys that fish the lake regularly that live in Nor Cal. .
This would solve a lot of the problem with respect to the probable loss of revenue from Lake County businesses. Sure, the county's general fund will grow but it will be from the backs of local businesses because they will no doubt suffer if anglers make less trips to the lake.
So what is a “Local“?
In my opinion they are not just residents, most anglers that fish Clear Lake live up to 100 miles away, yet frequent the lake weekly. Think about it, a resident of Lake County will more than likely travel and fish the same bodies of water as boat owners that live in Santa Rosa, Yuba City, the Bay Area, etc. and are subject to the same potential of contamination, yet they get a pass on Clear Lake.

My 02
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

clearlakeoutdoors wrote: Most people who drive any distance to come fish Clearlake stay about a week. $10.00 to fish for a month is a deal.

Dave B
Clearlake Outdoors
I will have to respectfully disagree.
The fact is, the majority of anglers that fish Clear Lake are tournament anglers pre fishing or in the weekly tournaments themselves.
Many of these anglers are not residents but could be considered "locals" and live in neighboring counties.
Speaking for myself, I am tired of the argument that the $10.00 inspection fee is a bargain because of the free launches provided.
If it's all about generating revenue than charge for the darn launches and stop the smoke and mirror comparison but I'm not sure the county can impose a launch fee being the lake is owned by the people of California and not the county of Lake.
It's not about the money for me, it's about the principle. If we're in this to control mussels, then let's get busy and do something to control them, if it's all about generating revenue for Lake County then please tell us where to mail our checks and save us the hassle.
Jay Rowan

Post by Jay Rowan »

bassbooger wrote: This is exactly why the ordinance is not working as designed. Any ordinance is only as effective as it is enforced.

This new protocol doesn't address enforcement issues at all.

And now projected for 2010: 8,000 boats x 12 screenings = $960,000.00, of which $672,000.00 goes to the county.
I would assume that some of the excess revenue will go toward enforcement, helping fund a position to operate the program, screen the screeners, train more inspectors...Maybe (hopefully) they will even hire some screeners to sit at a couple of the ramps early in the am before the stores open up to do screenings. Stating how the funds are spent isn't part of the ordnance but their records are subject to public request act inquires.

There aren't going to be 96,000 bands sold. I think it's been estimated that there were something like 30,000 boat days a year on CL. That's an old number I remember hearing somewhere but it's probably pretty close. So somewhere in the neighborhood of $300k to the program would be on the high side since a lot of those are locals and many would be on the lake more than once in a month, then not come back for 6 months or until next year. It is still a boat load of money, no doubt, and they absolutely need to state how those funds are spent, but if they do some of the things outlined above that amount of money will go quick. Running that big sheriff’s boat all around the lake with 2 officers would eat up most of that in a hurry.

As of this am, the latest version to go before the board of sup's tomorrow, will include a quick walk around to go along with the paper work to verify that the boat is Clean Drained and Dry, which is a major change, and the cost for a full inspection for "high risk boats" was reduced to $20.00 for a boat 22ft and under (includes band if you pass). This was done specifically to include bass boats in the lower cost inspection catigory.

As to including someone from a neighboring county in with the "residents", one of the Sup's was very clear at a meeting that he didn't like it. It is scheduled to go before the board at 10:40 tomorrow in Lakeport if you want to try and change his mind.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Jay Rowan wrote:the cost for a full inspection for "high risk boats" was reduced to $20.00 for a boat 22ft and under (includes band if you pass). This was done specifically to include bass boats in the lower cost inspection catigory.
20 dollars because you live in the wrong zip code? I smell lawsuit. Does anybody have proof of contamination by a day use boat?
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

I wasn't going to be the one to bring that up (lawsuit), but from what I have been told it's already being looked into.

Dan

Robert F

Post by Robert F »

:lol: Have the attorney contact me. I will sign up.
Jay Rowan

Post by Jay Rowan »

Robert F wrote:
Jay Rowan wrote:the cost for a full inspection for "high risk boats" was reduced to $20.00 for a boat 22ft and under (includes band if you pass). This was done specifically to include bass boats in the lower cost inspection catigory.
20 dollars because you live in the wrong zip code? I smell lawsuit. Does anybody have proof of contamination by a day use boat?
Nope...EBMUD won't even let you past the gate if your from the wrong zip code.
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

Jay,

Let me ask you this. Can you show US any data where the State or any other STATE of the Union is developing or testing a solution or any kind that will eliminate the Mussel in question?

Last time I heard their was a company in Texas that had or thought had the solution.

I also have a nother question for you...They droped pellets in Franks the in 08 right? In 09 (Currently) you cannot catch a fish on the inside of Franks. WHY? What was in the Pellets that would kill ever living thing around it...or say move them out....Blue Gill, Crappy, living organisums. The Grass is back 10 fold. Know the State is going to repeat itself in 2010, WHY?

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Catch & Release made by Sure Life kills mussels. Maybe some of their other products as well. Not sure on that one. Not sure on the time frame either. I can easily find out.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

This is my last post on this subject for now. However, let me first clarify that I do not have any issue with any local business, or screener(s). PERIOD! Everyone has always gone out of their way for me up there. Heck, for that matter I had always intended on retiring in Lake County. I too care about the Lake, this whole mess just strikes a nerve with me big time.

Personally, I have had it with elected officials trying to convince me what is right or wrong, be it with good science or bad. Regardless, they never seem to get it right and who pays? Exactly. Like I've said, I'd support it no problem if it had an ounce of a chance of really protecting the Lake. It doesn't, and even after having almost 2 full years to iron the wrinkles out of the existing program, they're NO closer to doing so now then they were in the beginning.

Furthermore, they are trying to convince us that a multi-flawed program is better than no program at all. Are you kidding me? Then again, what should one expect. One, they can't even justify the program currently in place as it DOESN'T work. Two, they've as much admitted that by wanting to change it and make it TWELVE times better.

NO, what you've done is make it TWELVE times more ridiculous!

Does anyone have any idea how many millions if not billions of dollars was waisted trying to stop the AFRICAN "killer" BEES from coming north into the U.S.? $$$$$$$$$ Did it work? NOPE! They now suspect they may be all the way into Canada? Why, because the program was flawed from the start! Underfunded, unrealistic, and relied partially on the honors system. Sound familiar?

Lake County, in my opinion you are making a huge mistake, and I'd suggest you re-think this one. You don't even have partial support from the people that matter the most! YOUR CUSTOMERS!

Dan

p.s. for the record, I am not involved with those looking into whether this is all legal or not, at all. Those persons are much more educated than myself. Should a decision to seek an injuction be made, I'm sure they will post a notice soon as they will need some support.

Jay Rowan

Post by Jay Rowan »

Rich,
I can't answer your specific question about the weed spraying done by Boating and Waterways in the Delta as I'm not too familiar with it. They do use similar products in Clear Lake at a much smaller scale and there hasn't been much in the way of adverse reaction by the fish population as a whole. There may be some localized issues with DO sags due to the decaying plants but I don’t know of any fish kills or anything like that caused by the herbicides that are used.

There are people looking into a solution for the Zebra mussels at San Justo, and the water districts down south have had some success in some of their lakes with things like water fluctuations and controlling the thermocline and Oxygen levels around it. I don’t know exactly how they do it. They are also looking at Red Ear sunfish “shell crackersâ€