Dobyns Savvy Rods...

FIVEtenthz

Dobyns Savvy Rods...

Post by FIVEtenthz »

I read the TackleTour.com article on em. But any of you insiders know how the components compare to the 1st generation and 2nd gen rods? Can they be considered a 1.5 gen rod?
Backseater. It Feels Better From The Back!
www.deltabassclub.com
Roger Saraiba

Re: Dobyns Savvy Rods...

Post by Roger Saraiba »

It is a true 2nd generation rod. These are great rods and I will be buying some. Do not hesitate to buy them. IMHO these are hands down the best rods in their price catagory. I would even put them up against more expensive rods. If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me and I can get you all the answers you need.
www.marineunlimited.net
www.rangerboats.com
www.bassanglersguide.com
www.dobynsrods.com
www.jigmonster.com
www.monsterfishingtackle.com
biteme

Post by biteme »

Roger Saraiba wrote:It is a true 2nd generation rod. These are great rods and I will be buying some. Do not hesitate to buy them. IMHO these are hands down the best rods in their price catagory. I would even put them up against more expensive rods. If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me and I can get you all the answers you need.
Buying some? Doesnt Dobyns sponsor you?
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

biteme wrote:
Roger Saraiba wrote:It is a true 2nd generation rod. These are great rods and I will be buying some. Do not hesitate to buy them. IMHO these are hands down the best rods in their price catagory. I would even put them up against more expensive rods. If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me and I can get you all the answers you need.
Even though they are sponsored, they still have to pay for their rods; albeit at a discounted price.

Roger,

Question is concerning the blank. I understand that the new rods are using some lesser expensive guides. But that alone cannot explain the $100 difference in the price of these vs the Champion versions. Tell us about the blank material of this vs the Champion versions. Thanks.
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
liveSTRONG

Post by liveSTRONG »

Have you held / fished with these rods yet?
green_monster

Post by green_monster »

201Pro wrote:Question is concerning the blank. I understand that the new rods are using some lesser expensive guides. But that alone cannot explain the $100 difference in the price of these vs the Champion versions. Tell us about the blank material of this vs the Champion versions. Thanks.
Anyone? I've got a handful of both Gen 1's and Gen 2's and love 'em. Curious were these are in comparison of the two. Similar price point to the Gen 1's. Wonder if they are similar to the originals just from Korea this time? Look forward to checking one out and/or hearing some feedback.
"Work is for people who don't know how to fish!" unknown

http://www.folsombassteam.com
YouHateIt

Post by YouHateIt »

spoken like a true kool aid drinker!

any opinions from anyone not on the take???

YouHateIt
biteme

Post by biteme »

201Pro wrote:
biteme wrote:
Even though they are sponsored, they still have to pay for their rods; albeit at a discounted price.

Roger,

Question is concerning the blank. I understand that the new rods are using some lesser expensive guides. But that alone cannot explain the $100 difference in the price of these vs the Champion versions. Tell us about the blank material of this vs the Champion versions. Thanks.
Your telling me they are sponsored and they pay for rods?
Vince Borges

Post by Vince Borges »

Your telling me they are sponsored and they pay for rods?
Boy are you opening a can of worms for some guys with that one. I guess the word sponsor means a whole lot more to some than others.

To me, there is a big difference from "Sponsor" to "Field Staff" to even "Pro-Staff"

It all comes down to you get what you pay for. Im sure the new rods are great. If you want a better rod thats top quality than pay more for the gen2 rods. Pretty simple math.

Vince
http://www.eyesurrender.com
http://www.proworm.com
http://www.basstackledepot.com
http://www.phenixrods.com
http://www.tntbaits.com
http://www.blackwaterinternationalinc.com
http://www.megastrike.com
http://www.vinceborgesoutdoors.com
biteme

Post by biteme »

Hey Im not opening up anything. Im just replying to a sponsored guy saying hes going to buy these new rods.
All I know is when Im building a car I get sponsored parts, free. Rods dont retail for much so if your going to sponsor someone and have them put work in I would think they would be free. But what do I know.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

There is a nice preview of the Savvy Series on tackletour.com . I have fished with them and would fish any tournament anywhere with them. Yes the Champs and Extremes are better in material and componites but they cost MORE too!

The Savvy rods are the best in that price range IMHO There will be samples at the shows and they are on the water coming right now.

Also, for the guys that don't understand sponsorships. I have won over 2 million dollars fishing, I sell a lot of Rangers for dealers every year, and I BUY a Ranger Bass Boat every year at a discount and I'm happy to do it.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Gary Dobyns wrote:There is a nice preview of the Savvy Series on tackletour.com . I have fished with them and would fish any tournament anywhere with them. Yes the Champs and Extremes are better in material and componites but they cost MORE too!

The Savvy rods are the best in that price range IMHO There will be samples at the shows and they are on the water coming right now.

Also, for the guys that don't understand sponsorships. I have won over 2 million dollars fishing, I sell a lot of Rangers for dealers every year, and I BUY a Ranger Bass Boat every year at a discount and I'm happy to do it.
Thats nuts. But I understand a discount on a boat, just dont understand a discount on a rod. But like I said Ive never been sponsored for fishing stuff.
ryan accardo

Post by ryan accardo »

some people just dont get it.gary provides us as anglers a foot in the door being on his staff. reguardless if a rod is 169.00 or 300. 00 dollars they are always going to be made of top quality components.
Dobyn Rods,Lim-It Lures of California,Johnny C's Pro Guide Jigs,Cal West Construction of Fresno.Valley Rod And Gun Pro Staff,BassAholics LifeStyle Apparel.
Philburt

Post by Philburt »

I have both gen1s and gen2s and have landed both larges and big spots on these rods. They handled those fish better than any other rod Ive owned bar-none...
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

biteme wrote: But like I said Ive never been sponsored for fishing stuff.
BINGO! :lol:
Mike Reidy

Post by Mike Reidy »

Fivetenthz, I believe your question regarding components has been answered by Gary Dobyns regarding the NEW Gen. 2 Savvy Series. I have not seen or used this new series personally yet. I am excited about seeing and examining some of them at the upcoming San Mateo and Sacramento shows. I also understand that they should arrive somewhere around the end of this month for distribution to retailers. I am a member of Dobyns staff.

I am not a professional angler but am very serious and passionate about this sport. I have always been fortunate enough to be able to use what I felt was the best available equipment. I do get a discount on my rod purchases but this is not my reason for using Dobyns product. I believe these are the finest and most comfortable rods on the market TODAY. I also know that Gary Dobyns stands behind his products and is doing everything possible to provide them at fair price. These are the reasons why I decided to use and hopefully help promote this product. I BELIEVE in them and those responsible for them .

If you or anyone else see's me on the water please feel free to introduce yourself and I would be happy to show you any of the Dobyns rods I own. I think you will be very impressed.

Mike Reidy
ryan accardo

Post by ryan accardo »

+1 :D :D
Dobyn Rods,Lim-It Lures of California,Johnny C's Pro Guide Jigs,Cal West Construction of Fresno.Valley Rod And Gun Pro Staff,BassAholics LifeStyle Apparel.
Mike

Post by Mike »

YouHateIt wrote:
spoken like a true kool aid drinker!

any opinions from anyone not on the take???

YouHateIt

Pretty hard yo have an opinion on a product that is not out yet :shock: I'll let you know in a month or so.............
OG on WB since 1993
procraftrob

Post by procraftrob »

I disagree with all of you about dobyns rods. The tip of my 1st gen rod broke on a hookset (which wasn't hard at all). And this was the third time out. Then called and spoke to Richard dobyns himself and he said I had to fork over the 60 bucks to get a new one. Thn my bro got the 2nd gen rod cause he fished the AC pro-ams last year first time out we noticed his line getting frayed. Upon further investigation one of the guides is cracked, on a brand new rod. So sorry to say i wont be buying any more dobyns rods due to poor customer service and fragility its just not worth the money (plus $60 for replacemnt) for me.
ryan accardo

Post by ryan accardo »

procraftrob wrote:I disagree with all of you about dobyns rods. The tip of my 1st gen rod broke on a hookset (which wasn't hard at all). And this was the third time out. Then called and spoke to Richard dobyns himself and he said I had to fork over the 60 bucks to get a new one. Thn my bro got the 2nd gen rod cause he fished the AC pro-ams last year first time out we noticed his line getting frayed. Upon further investigation one of the guides is cracked, on a brand new rod. So sorry to say i wont be buying any more dobyns rods due to poor customer service and fragility its just not worth the money (plus $60 for replacemnt) for me.
i would have to say that since ive been on the staff that richard has always treated me great and gone out of his way to take care anything that i or some anglers i know needed.to say poor customer service is way off.any questions pm me thanks.im sure a email to gary or richard would have taken care of your problem. :D
Roger Saraiba

Post by Roger Saraiba »

biteme I will be getting some of the new rods. I look forward to getting them as soon as they hit shore. Youhateit why so bitter. I am sponsored by Dobyns and just got on their pro staff. I was the proud owner of a couple of Dobns rods before I made the deal. I do believe they make one of the best rods out there. I am on a limited budget (19 month old daughter at home) so I need to spend my money on equipment that will last. I would not have taken a pro staff position if I did not believe in Gary and the product. Sorry my responses took so long I was working and had no computer access.
Thanks,
Roger
www.marineunlimited.net
www.rangerboats.com
www.bassanglersguide.com
www.dobynsrods.com
www.jigmonster.com
biteme

Post by biteme »

Roger Saraiba wrote:biteme I will be getting some of the new rods. I look forward to getting them as soon as they hit shore. Youhateit why so bitter. I am sponsored by Dobyns and just got on their pro staff. I was the proud owner of a couple of Dobns rods before I made the deal. I do believe they make one of the best rods out there. I am on a limited budget (19 month old daughter at home) so I need to spend my money on equipment that will last. I would not have taken a pro staff position if I did not believe in Gary and the product. Sorry my responses took so long I was working and had no computer access.
Thanks,
Roger
No hate here! Sorry if it came off that way. Sometimes you just get tired of seeing staff push product over the top. Sometimes you just want a honest post.
I own Dobyns rods myself, like I said no hate just want honest answers. I think more then most could see through that post.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

ProcraftRob, that's pretty hard to believe and I'm calling bullsh!t on your statement about Dobyn's customer service. Their customer service is awesome. Richard will bend over backwards to help out customers.
hippie

Post by hippie »

PRO CRAFT on the website it says send 20 bucks and the rod. If you want to do an exchange at the tackle shop its 60 bucks. Doesn't sound to steep to me GLOOMIS is a little better with there expedite program, but as long as you get a new rod who cares.
Roger Saraiba

Post by Roger Saraiba »

Biteme I was referring to the other guy on this post not you. I do agree with you that a lot guys will take a sponsorship and push products they don't believe in ust to be sponsored. I have turned down sponsorships because I did not like their product or believe in it. I WOULD NOT support Dobyns rods if I did not believe they made a fantastic product. I am new to the pro staff and I am just trying to get the word out there about great rod. just my $.02
www.marineunlimited.net
www.rangerboats.com
www.bassanglersguide.com
www.dobynsrods.com
www.jigmonster.com
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

We do a great customer service. Rich or me handle it ourselves. There is no pleasing some people. I'm happy with the 99 plus percent that we are able to please.

There is no pleasing some bass fishermen period. We all know this.
FR0G

Post by FR0G »

I like how this thread changed from introducing Dobyns new rods, to complaining on how somebody gets a discount on rods instead of getting rods for free. :roll:
BASSAHOLICS
some guy

Post by some guy »

wow.. some of you need to fish more.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Roger Saraiba

Post by Roger Saraiba »

I agree some guy and FROG. Was just trying to give a heads up.
www.marineunlimited.net
www.rangerboats.com
www.bassanglersguide.com
www.dobynsrods.com
www.jigmonster.com
biteme

Post by biteme »

some guy wrote:wow.. some of you need to fish more.
Yes I DO!
procraftrob

Post by procraftrob »

Gary i would have to agree it is hard to please everybody. But i ask you to put yourself in my shoes. Wouldn't you feel this way if someone tells you that he can't help you and that its $60 to get a new one? $60 is a lot of money to replace a rod that broke on the 3rd trip out especially when you are supporting a family. He didn't even attempt to help me all he said was its 60 dollars. Not send it in we will check it out, not sorry about that lets see what we can do. Just that its 60 bucks to replace. I've dealt with powell on a broken rod a couple years back I called them and the guy said just send it in and we will take care of it. Thats what i expected when i called your company being so many people say good things about you and your company.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

You are talking about a gen 1 rod. I have not sold those in well over 2 years. So I am not sure of your agenda. We go out of our way to help everyone. If your rod busted quickly as you say, it would of been replaced.

I stand by my earlier comment. We please 99% PLUS of our customers. We try for 100% but that's impossible with bass fishermen. Frankly I'm glad that this less than 1% group goes elsewhere. Let someone else have the headache guys.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

of that 60 bucks, that includes the 20-30 for shipping. If you broke your rod, 60 bucks isnt bad to replace a 200-300 dollar rod. If it broke because of defect, which I happen to never have seen then I have every confidence it would be replaced, especially if the store you bought it from honors the warranty themselves. Also the warranty states original owner and you need your reciept...the reciept part is the only thing different than a company like st croix, that has you register instead.

If you guys are troll-ing because you've got a beef maybe the thread should be closed....I don't know anybody with a better repuatation on this site or this state. I trust Mr. Dobyn's cause he has earned it, and his past actions put him above the run of the mill salesmen we all see everyday in this industry.

Give the man a doughnut...and lets move on.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
Will-D

Post by Will-D »

I have broken 2 gen 1 rods and 2 gen 2 rods one I consider my fault the others however definatley were not, and I consider a 60 dollar replacement fee a little steep,how can daiwa and shimanno charge so much less?

If I owned a rod company and had bunches of rods breaking it would benefit me to bump up the rod replacment charge wouldnt it???? If the rods are so great i think gary should stand behind his product and lower the cost to replace a rod, and if the quality is there, then there is nothing to worry about.

In a nutshell I think 60 is steep.Steep enough to the point that i think i am being taken advantage of when a rod busts, I feel like Dobyns still makes profit off the replacment charge which i just feel is wrong... No disrespect thats just how I feel about it. I really like the rods if only they lasted longer......
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Well I am running very very low breakage on my Korean rods since starting with them last January. Far below industry standards. I can't see how guys break rods. I try to break them them when I fun fish. We had a bunch of the Koreans here last summer, I told the guys to try and break rods. Swing BIG fish and show them how we fish many times. Mike Tobey had a 5 pounder and started to grab it, I told him to swing it. He had a light action rod and caught fish off the Fifth street ramp at Clear Lake. The dock was about 3 feet off the water. No problem. I have plenty of staffers/testers scattered all over the US . They are not breaking rods, so it is not a rod problem. I have yet to break a single rod one of these rods fishing. Now I was picking up 13 to 22 pound weights with them in Korea but that's a little bit different. :D
Last edited by Gary Dobyns on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will-D

Post by Will-D »

Ok gary ill send you a broken rod right now how much is it gonna cost? And I don't appreciate you calling me full sh** that's what happened no bull sh**.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

pm sent
Will-D

Post by Will-D »

As a matter of fact ill be at the san mateo show ill bring my rod and you can give me a replacment there. I would appreciate it.
Grolsch Man

Post by Grolsch Man »

Thanks Gary for coming out with all these new sick rods keep them coming dude.

I heard on another thread that some new crankin sticks are on the way like a 7'6 glass rod and a new Randy Mcrankinstien 7'6 crankin rod.

Ever think about making a big big swimbait rod one like 9 feet long that could handle 5-15oz baits and had a long handle like the ML series?It would be sick :D that and a heavy powered cranking rod for grass.I would be in bass rod fishing heaven.

Anyway awesome rods thanks for putting in all the time to come up with such an awesome product,can't wait to see whats in store for the future.
I fiend for Bass and Motocross
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I have a gen 1 Dobyns rod, a 701 dropshot rod that I got from J&T Tackle two years ago, and haven't broken it yet.
Am I doing something wrong? :shock:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="Grolsch Man"]Thanks Gary for coming out with all these new sick rods keep them coming dude.

I heard on another thread that some new crankin sticks are on the way like a 7'6 glass rod and a new Randy Mcrankinstien 7'6 crankin rod.

Ever think about making a big big swimbait rod one like 9 feet long that could handle 5-15oz baits and had a long handle like the ML series?It would be sick :D that and a heavy powered cranking rod for grass.I would be in bass rod fishing heaven.

Anyway awesome rods thanks for putting in all the time to come up with such an awesome product,can't wait to see whats in store for the future.[/quote]

You have good info. Both 7'6" rods are coming. I'm with you on big long SB rods. I have never made a 9 footer. Could though but UPS might want first born grandchild for shipping fees :D I have been playing with an 8'4" model and I do like it. You got my wheels spinning. Thanks for costing me tonights sleep :D :D
robertthornton

Post by robertthornton »

My buddy won a DR at a tournament. Gen 1 it broke and when he called to have it replaced he was told 60 bucks also. I think he still has the rod sitting in his room. Is 60 the going price.

How much is the repair price?
ryan accardo

Post by ryan accardo »

if you ask a majority of people if theyve had issues with richard or gary your going to here not at all cause they stand behind there product there is not many rod companys out there today that the owner will e mail you back if you have any issues.im sure that some of theses responses are cause people didt e mail or call or go to tackle shop where they purchased them, cause they will warranty the rods in the store. :D :D :D
drilltrash

Post by drilltrash »

broke one of my gen. 1 rods and the place where i bought it wouldn't help me out at all. i called the number on the dobyns rods site and called the number. i talked to richard as gary was overseas. he called me back within 10 minutes and had everything squared away. awsome attitude, customer service and product.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Gary is nothing but GREAT to deal with. The guy is on top of things! Ive received PM's in the past from him about rods. He always takes time out to help other fishermen.
Im not sponsored by Dobyns, these are just the facts!
FIVEtenthz

Post by FIVEtenthz »

Hey Gary speaking of a BIG swimbait rod, I saw you checking out Jerry Rago's swimbait rod with the spiraling guides at Bass Jam, would you ever consider making a swimbait rod with that feature?
Backseater. It Feels Better From The Back!
www.deltabassclub.com
TxFishman

Post by TxFishman »

I had a chance to check out the new Savvy rods at a show this week. Gary, you have outdone yourself fella. I cant wait for the Savvy to hit the stores so i myself can pick a few up and give them a good testing out.For such a low price i think you hit the nail on the head.
www.brannansbass.com
www.stevescustomprops.com
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

No not really. I just look at rods. Jerry's was different and caught my eye. Spiral guides work PERFECTLY but it's a tough sell. Just like Tennessee handles on spinning. I LOVE them but they won't sell. I like to tape the reel onto the rod to totally balance it. Guys think you are cheap not putting a seat on :D or that a fish could pull the reel off :D I sold a ton of customs by showing guys the benefits but most dealers don't have the time "if" they liked them.

I have a few ideas on swimbait rods but dang I've got too many SKU's right now. :D
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

ahh crap!........more swimbait rods??? :shock: excuse me while I step out to the garage and load a syringe full of tranquilizers for the tackle monkey........you're killin' me smalls :lol:
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

I broke a Gen 1 rod, swinging a fish in the boat. I e-mailed Gary, he said send them the rod and $60.00 and they'll send send me a Gen 2 rod.....Worth every penny....
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"