Scrounger heads shortage?

sro114

Scrounger heads shortage?

Post by sro114 »

So does anyone know whats up with everyone being out of the scrounger heads? I went to Aaron Martens webpage to see what was up and it is gone.

I know that there are other companies that make these, but I've had great luck with his. Has anyone tried the Lucky Strike scrounger?
acm95301

Re: Scrounger heads shortage?

Post by acm95301 »

try baitbarn, they had some.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Rodstrainer used to make them. Maybe they still do??
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Post by 619 »

We are waiting on our shipment, If you want you can call the store and ask for me and I will call you when we get them. A new company is making them now. I heard that AM sold the Buis.

Art Bailey
Anglers Marine San Diego
619-449-3474
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

It's my understanding that Scott & Josh Kolbinshy, owners of the company that makes AM Scroungers have stopped production due to a law suit over the use of the trade name Scrounger head. The original Scrounger head jig was patented by John Waters of San Clemente. John passed away in 2007.
Sworming Hornet lures is making a Scrounger head jig and Charktbait carried the Wiggle head, a knock off of the original Scrounger.
Tom
sro114

Post by sro114 »

Thanks guys I was wondering what the heck happened.
slkric

Post by slkric »

sro114

Post by sro114 »

Thanks, he was out of most sizes last time I checked.
rangerz20

Post by rangerz20 »

Jrfish

Post by Jrfish »

Try thehookuptackle.com or basstackle depot. Last I checked they had most of them in. This is a popular item lately.
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Has anyone used the longer bill length ones ?

I was thinking of trying the 1/8 and 1/4 in the long length bills, but not sure what the difference in length will do ?

Can you clue me in, please ?
Thanks !
Share fishing with someone
matstone

Post by matstone »

Oldschool wrote:It's my understanding that Scott & Josh Kolbinshy, owners of the company that makes AM Scroungers have stopped production due to a law suit over the use of the trade name Scrounger head.
Tom
Just to clarify things.

This is a clear case of a deal gone bad between a small company (AML) and the larger "I want it all" company (LS). Has nothing to do with the "scrounger" trade name or the business being sold which is all rumor. Seems someone couldn't produce as expected when a deal went south and decided to make things worse and stop things all together via the courts (imo) with a temporary restraining order halting production. :? I'm not going into any of the real specifics but, rest assured, a good version of the scrounger will return at some point. Until then, all of us are paying the price while production has been halted. Big company greed is a terrible thing! :x

If and when the scrounger returns to the BPS website for the third time (produced by Luck E Strike), I have a hard time believing the quality will come even remotely close. The advertised price was cut in half and that leads me to believe the quality will be also. Scott & Josh used only the highest quality components and the Scrounger's price reflected this. The old adage applies, you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, AML's hands are tied right now, they can't say a word and we just need to wait and see. Scott & Josh know how to make this bait right and want nothing more than to get it in our hands. They just can't right now.
tunadoctor

Post by tunadoctor »

With regard to the length of the bill on the scroungers. The long bill allows the lure to be worked or retrieved slowly and still impart some action on the lure. I've found that if you retrieve the long bill too fast, the action becomes too erratic with an unnatural wobble and at times it causes the lure to spin. I would think that the long bill could be used in cold water situations where a slower retrieve is preferable.
Also, i have cut the long bill to the size of a medium bill at times when I wanted a faster retrieve with a tighter wobble. Of course, then you can't go back to the slower retrieve after you cut the bill.
In the 1/4 oz size, i have used the long, medium, and short bill. The short bill has to be worked faster to impart action, but it worked well when the fish (largemouth or stripers) are busting shad. It works well on spotted bay bass.
I fish saltwater and the 3/4 to 1 1/4 oz. sizes can be worked through the kelp pretty well without too many hangups. It is amazing how well the bill acts as a weed guard.
"A great day fishing is better than a good day fishing is better than a mediocre day fishing is better than a bad day fishing because I'm retired."
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

matstone wrote:
Oldschool wrote:It's my understanding that Scott & Josh Kolbinshy, owners of the company that makes AM Scroungers have stopped production due to a law suit over the use of the trade name Scrounger head.
Tom
Just to clarify things.

This is a clear case of a deal gone bad between a small company (AML) and the larger "I want it all" company (LS). Has nothing to do with the "scrounger" trade name or the business being sold which is all rumor. Seems someone couldn't produce as expected when a deal went south and decided to make things worse and stop things all together via the courts (imo) with a temporary restraining order halting production. :? I'm not going into any of the real specifics but, rest assured, a good version of the scrounger will return at some point. Until then, all of us are paying the price while production has been halted. Big company greed is a terrible thing! :x

If and when the scrounger returns to the BPS website for the third time (produced by Luck E Strike), I have a hard time believing the quality will come even remotely close. The advertised price was cut in half and that leads me to believe the quality will be also. Scott & Josh used only the highest quality components and the Scrounger's price reflected this. The old adage applies, you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, AML's hands are tied right now, they can't say a word and we just need to wait and see. Scott & Josh know how to make this bait right and want nothing more than to get it in our hands. They just can't right now.
Thanks for the clarity.
Long bills came from the Wiggle head era, the original Scroungers had the shorter thicker rounded bills. Just cut the longer bill into a coffin shape; cut the rounded top 1/4" off and trim the top sides a little.
Tom
DAN

Post by DAN »

Yes I do,

LuckEStrike has commitment to BPS that has to Ship first they are working as quick as they can to build baits, as of yesterday they were outta bills waiting for more to arrive...

Without getting into a ton of detail, they are working hard to solve the issue and get everyone the baits they need.

As far as the Deal, gone bad well.... We'll let that get sorted out,
Dan Mathisen
dan_mathisen@att.net
209-612-5028

Ben Green Insurance