Cranking Battery

buddy brown

Cranking Battery

Post by buddy brown »

About time for a new cranking battery. What do you reccomend. I'm thinking about the optima blue top d-34 batt
Gene Buchholz

Re: Cranking Battery

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Go with a AC Delco C24hp it has 1035 cca.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Whatever brand you choose, stay with a deep cycle, so running your livewell all day won't draw it down.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

buddy brown wrote:About time for a new cranking battery. What do you reccomend. I'm thinking about the optima blue top d-34 batt
Good choice!!
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
baitfish

Post by baitfish »

Sears Diehard Platinum 31. 1150 cca 205 min RC. It is made by Odyssey and is a battery Mercury recommends for their 3 liter engines. There is a nice list of batteries on bbc receommended by Mercury.

I am impressed so far as it really turns over my 250 pro xs. I have 3 Optima D31's coming for the troller.
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

I seem to always plug the Interstate. Mine will be 8 years old in March. I know I'm on borrowed time, but I just want to see how long it goes.

Hey who's the Interstate Rep around here? I've been plugging your products for years and just bought 3 more for the trolling motor. Throw me a bone, I'm hurting :) !
I had to come back...I know...
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Mike,

FYI Les Schwab brand batteries are OEM by interstate you can order group 27 deep cycle batteries through your local Les Schwab dealer, or give me a call for the Antelope Contact. :wink:
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

Where around Folsom or El dorado hills can you get that AC Delco battery?
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
twister

Post by twister »

Maitenace free battery suck because the water drys out and you cant fill them. Autozone makes a large marine cranking battery that can power your livewell, radio, fishfinders, ect.
River City Bassmasters

www.rcbassmasters.us

WHERE SHARING INFORMATION IS FUN.
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

tom just don't do what I did and try and use the 31-m for your cranking batt :oops: its not working out to good in trnys were i need to run everything
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
WishinIwerFishin

Post by WishinIwerFishin »

The blue top optima works great as a crankin battery. I can run everything(stereo,livewell,sonar's) and still have plenty of power all day long. Before I had an onboard charger I would go out 2-3 times before charging it and had no problems.
www.baysicscreenprint.com
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

twister wrote:Maitenace free battery suck because the water drys out and you cant fill them.
That shouldn't happen... can't say I've ever seen one dry out myself. I've gotten 5 years out of my original AC Delco (THANKS ANGLERS!), so I'd say that is definitely not a bad choice at very least.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

WishinIwerFishin wrote:The blue top optima works great as a crankin battery. I can run everything(stereo,livewell,sonar's) and still have plenty of power all day long. Before I had an onboard charger I would go out 2-3 times before charging it and had no problems.
4hrs max is all i'm getting out of a 31-m blue top right now with everything running
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

macinckirk wrote:4hrs max is all i'm getting out of a 31-m blue top right now with everything running
:shock:

That sucks!

Roger
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

macinckirk wrote:
WishinIwerFishin wrote:The blue top optima works great as a crankin battery. I can run everything(stereo,livewell,sonar's) and still have plenty of power all day long. Before I had an onboard charger I would go out 2-3 times before charging it and had no problems.
4hrs max is all i'm getting out of a 31-m blue top right now with everything running
I have experienced the very same thing with the blue tops. I used them once several years ago and never used them again. I am sold on Odyssey and have been for a few years now.

Scott
WishinIwerFishin

Post by WishinIwerFishin »

tunaman wrote:
macinckirk wrote:4hrs max is all i'm getting out of a 31-m blue top right now with everything running
:shock:

That sucks!

Roger
Yes it does, I have only had one and it's been good to me for the last year and a half. If I got that kind of run time out of it I would definitely be looking for something different.
www.baysicscreenprint.com
Jim Moulton

Post by Jim Moulton »

I run the Deka AGM's and am very satisfied with thier performance. AC Delco's are also a good choice. Any GM dealer or parts house that sells GM Products should have them in stock as does the Hook Line and Sinker. Jim
www.teamccmarine.com
C & C Marine
Modesto Ca
209-526-4120
Ranger Boats
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

Yes it does S*CK I had a Interstate cranking 27 that was 3 years old that was doing better then this batt, that Aaron now has in his boate.

I got 1000.00 in 4 batts and will never do this again, the 3 optima 31-m blue tops on the trolling motor do work well. The thing I do like is the power stays the same allday. But they are Not Worth the Double in price UNLESS I get 6 years out of the set. Or unless your just looking to get away from wet cells like I was

They don't charge any faster then my old Interstate's dc27's I had or any 31's I have owned (everstarts)

Now for the Optima 31-m blue top for the cranking batt, I had got 3 batts for the trolling motor before oct/aba toc mead and after a month deieced to change out my cranking batt, so I got 1 more for the cranking batt, this batt has never seemed right from the 1st time I tryed to charge it (charger never went off by it self) but got it 2 days before the NBW Charity Event on dvl. well dale and I had got a small keeper within 5 mins so that meet the pumps would run allday on low auto.

well within 4 hrs my lowrance units were showing 11.6 volts and died the batts seem to still have power to start my motor but does not hold on the top end, also on my yammie I need as close to 12 v to start it, so every 45 mins or so I would have to start my yammie and run it for 5-10 mins.

Well after that trny I was thinking maybe it was just a bad day, so i have watched it and when I'm just fun fishing it does fine but then when Isaac and i fished that last NBW DVl trny I seen were if we didn't move as much as we did I would of been in the same spot

So I'm less then pleased with them as a cranking batt
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Kirk,
I think you have a problem with your cranking battery charger, or a bad connection somewhere.
I've had blue top 34's for both my tm and my big engine for six years.
No problems, ever.
If I were you, before I spent another $ on a battery, I'd have someone who know how check out my entire electrical system.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

macinckirk wrote:tom just don't do what I did and try and use the 31-m for your cranking batt :oops: its not working out to good in trnys were i need to run everything
Kirk are you using the dual purpose blue top or the one specifically made for cranking. The crank one has gray sides. Thanks for the all the opinions. I had the same maintenance free batt that came with my boat for 4 yrs with no probs, but I don't want any probs during any tourneys this year.
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

tom
i'm using the dual purpose, I was thinking the same as you and was going to try the cranking optima, but I KNEW I neeeded all the batt I could get

Tom also this maybe just my 1 batt, I'll see what happens tomorrow and if I still have the problem (i have batts charging and will not take them off till I leave around 3:30am) I'll take this 1 back and try a new 31-m

mark
everything is working ok because the cranking batt never had this problem before I changed out the interstates

since i'm not really to into trny fishing this year i was just going to get 6 months out of this batt before b*tching/taking it back
baitfish

Post by baitfish »

Kirk,

You should swap one of your trollers with the cranker since they are all the same and see what happens.