Flying Southwest with Rod Case

Spookin'Em43

Flying Southwest with Rod Case

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

Flying Southwest to lake mead in May for FLW College Tournament, and was wondering how much they charge to fly an 8ft airline approved rod case, I tried calling but I have been on hold for way to long so thought id ask on here as I am sure some of you have flown with a rod case. Also, can Reels be carry on as well?

Thanks!
Derrick
Derrick Hicks

Humboldt State University-FLW College Series

I Proudly Endorse:
Dobyn's Rods, RBBassfishing, Abu Garcia, El Grande Lures, Trilene, Berkely, D&M Baits, Zipper Worms, Rod Glove, Tackle Warehouse, HatCams
bryanmc

Re: Flying Southwest with Rod Case

Post by bryanmc »

This is from their website. Your 8ft rod case might not make it. Looks like they won't accept anything over 80 inches. Better call and talk to a real person or email them.

Weight and Size Allowance: Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Effective June 17, 2009, overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches (e.g.; surfboards, bicycles, vaulting poles) will be accepted for a charge of $50 per item. Any item weighing more than 100 pounds must be shipped as Air Cargo. However, Customers cannot use SWA Cargo unless classified as a Known Shipper as defined by the TSA or TSA approved Indirect Air Carriers (IAC). For full details about shipping cargo, visit swacargo.com
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

I read that too, and that is why I tried calling them, and got put on hold forever, ill try calling again and/or send an email. Thanks!!
Derrick Hicks

I Proudly Endorse:
Dobyn's Rods, RBBassfishing, Abu Garcia, El Grande Lures, Trilene, Berkely, D&M Baits, Zipper Worms, Rod Glove, Tackle Warehouse, HatCams
minnkotaman

Post by minnkotaman »

you can carry on your reels.
but only if they have no line on them.
fishing line can be used as a weapon.
Scott E.

Post by Scott E. »

I flew Southwest back in october and took an 8 ft rod tube. No charge as long as it's not over 8 feet.
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

minnkotaman wrote: fishing line can be used as a weapon.
Seriously!? :shock: :roll:
Derrick Hicks

I Proudly Endorse:
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

Got off the phone with southwest, they said rod tube up to 8ft long, and up to 3 inches around, is approved, as the above poster said. I guess they have special guidlines for fishing equipment not on their website.
Derrick Hicks

I Proudly Endorse:
BAble

Post by BAble »

Derrick, greetings and hope you are doing well. When I have flown to Mexico we were allowed to carry our reels with line on them in our carry on bag. Unless TSA has changed this policy it is allowed unlike the info that the person placed in his reply. Of course I am replying privately because I don't need anyone taking offense to what I am telling you. Take 7foot rods in the case and you shouldn't have any issues. If you need a longer rod take one that expands , ie: flipping stick, if you don't have one I have one you can use. Take care and the best to you....
bruce able
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

Thanks Bruce! :D
Derrick Hicks

I Proudly Endorse:
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Not sure about the 8 foot thing. I have traveled Southwest to Sacramento a couple of times with fishing rods. I took a piece of 3 inch PVC pipe, glued a cap on one end and taped the other. They checked the length with a tape measure one time.

I was lucky I was in compliance as the cost of an oversize bag was more than the ticket. They will open the tube at the counter so make it accessible. Wrap the tips with a piece of styrofoam.

I used my carry-on allowance for my heaviest tackle and put my lightest tackle and reels in with my clothes/ second checked bag. They will weigh this bag. I made it EXACTLY 50 pounds.

The 91 inch tube should get everything you need to Mead. If you are bringing an 8 foot flipping stick you may be on the wrong lake. If you insist on the 8 foot rod give it to a boater that is driving there for the Guards.

Good luck out there. I could not imagine breaking down that lake under the College fishing rules. Here is the fishing gear print-out from Southwest.com.

Fishing rods and tackle boxes will be accepted as checked or carryon baggage provided the carryon rod fits securely in the overhead bin when enclosed in a cylindrical fishing rod container. A container may be purchased from Southwest Airlines for $10.00. When checking rods, containers may measure three inches in diameter and up to 91 inches in length. Fishing equipment includes a fishing rod and a fishing tackle box.
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

Yeah the lady i talked on the phone with said they hardly ever check the length, but you never know. If I do not need to bring the flippin stick thats fine, thanks for the tip actually. I have never fished mead and going in completely blind, all I hear is drop shot there....between now and the tournament I want t do some kind of research online to figure that place out, cause I would like to get fish on things other than dropshot :roll:
Derrick Hicks

I Proudly Endorse:
Steve Carson

Post by Steve Carson »

The only countries that prohibit line on carry-on reels are Panama, Brazil, and Costa Rica.
There is absolutely no problem in Canada, the US, and Mexico.
I fly approximately 50 times a year with line-filled reels in my carry-on [including yesterday], often on Southwest.
A good tip to avoid the $50 each way fee is to ship the rod tube via FedEx.
Usually its about $22-$27 and never gets lost, you just need to plan ahead for 2-3 days in transit.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Spookin'Em43 wrote: I would like to get fish on things other than dropshot :roll:
:lol: Good luck. You will need it.
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

Robert F wrote:
Spookin'Em43 wrote: I would like to get fish on things other than dropshot :roll:
:lol: Good luck. You will need it.
Trust me, Ill have my Dobyns 702 sf rigged and ready to go for it!!
Derrick Hicks

I Proudly Endorse:
justin lucas

Post by justin lucas »

sometimes it is $25 and sometimes it is $50 just depending on how nice the person is and you hoping that they measure it wrong! :) done it many times last year. good luck!
justin lucas

Post by justin lucas »

sometimes it is $25 and sometimes it is $50 just depending on how nice the person is and you hoping that they measure it wrong! :) done it many times last year. good luck!
justin lucas

Post by justin lucas »

fishfan

Post by fishfan »

Steve Carson wrote:
A good tip to avoid the $50 each way fee is to ship the rod tube via FedEx.
Usually its about $22-$27 and never gets lost, you just need to plan ahead for 2-3 days in transit.
+1 I shipped mine UPS a few years ago to my hotel and they were there when I got there. I think it was like $24 and it was the black bazooka rod tube!
I now know why it is called fishing and not catching!
The Sweetest Rods Ever !!! DOBYNS RODS
Team LL